• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Body shop to repaint bumper and match paint color

Guys,

As some of you know my NSX has some miles - 122k. The red is somewhat faded from the original, I can tell when I part next to one of you guys with the 22k miles garage queens :)
Anyway, after years of highway driving from the previous owner without protection on the front, the front bumper's clearcoat is starting to peel. I'd like to have the bumper resprayed to take care of it. And of course, they'll have to match the paint to the rest of the car optically so you can't tell.

Anyone know of a good body shop in the Chicagoland area that has worked on these cars before? Knows how to paint match well and can remove the bumper without damaging anything?

Thanks!

Andrew

Custom Cars Unlimited in La Grange. I was referred to them by Continental Motorsports in Hinsdale (Ferrari, Masserati) when I was looking for a good paint shop. Very happy with the results. They didn't have to remove anything from my car but were I looking to have my bumper removed and sprayed I would take my car there. If you stop by and see some of the restoration work in progress, I think you'll feel that they can tackle bumper removal and installation on a NSX.

Last edited:
Custom Cars Unlimited in La Grange. I was referred to them by Continental Motorsports in Hinsdale (Ferrari, Masserati) when I was looking for a good paint shop. Very happy with the results. They didn't have to remove anything from my car but were I looking to have my bumper removed and sprayed I would take my car there. If you stop by and see some of the restoration work in progress, I think you'll feel that they can tackle bumper removal and installation on a NSX.

Yea, I guess I'm not concerned with bumper removal just them taking the time to match the paint.

Thanks!

No one knows the NSX body, assemble and color better than pbassjo, also known as Joe from http://vincesautobodyworks.com/. If you have the time to transport it over. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Regards,

Frankie

Andrew, looking back at your original post, you were asking about a shop that has experience working on these cars...I don't know how much experience they have working on NSX's (other than mine), but they work on a wide range of cars, and after seeing the job they did in matching my car's paint, I would not hesitate to go back there for any paint repair or work. Most highly recommended! And if you go over there, let me know and stop by and say hi. Coincidentally, I only live about a half mile from the shop!

Jeff

^And if you're taking 55 to Lagrange Park, then you're driving by me and I would meet up with you guys!

Also, I have a lot of experience with Collision Craft in Westmont.
Not with the NSX but with my old 03 Acura CL and current 09 Infiniti G.
They have color matched bumbers and aftermarket pieces I added to the car.
They receive a ton of cars from Acura, Lexus, Mercedes and other dealers in the area to do work.

Andrew - glad you brought this up. In case none of you have seen my front bumper, it looks like those white chocolate flakes on a red velvet cheesecake from The (eponymous) Factory. I need to go ahead and at least do my bumper. I should really do my whole car. First, I want to check the paint depth. Any of you able to do that for me/show me how to do it?

Andrew - glad you brought this up. In case none of you have seen my front bumper, it looks like those white chocolate flakes on a red velvet cheesecake from The (eponymous) Factory. I need to go ahead and at least do my bumper. I should really do my whole car. First, I want to check the paint depth. Any of you able to do that for me/show me how to do it?

I guess I'll bring mine to The Last Detail as well as Custom Cars unlimited and see what they can do - I'll report back with my experience!
Thanks guys!

Talk to Ed at Schaumburg Auto Body. I got rear ended in 2007, and was getting some faded spots anyway, so I had them repaint the whole car. Most people who see it assume it has original paint, so I think they did a great job.

They weren't the cheapest estimate I got, but still a lot cheaper than The Last Detail. [emoji3]

Talk to Ed at Schaumburg Auto Body. I got rear ended in 2007, and was getting some faded spots anyway, so I had them repaint the whole car. Most people who see it assume it has original paint, so I think they did a great job.

They weren't the cheapest estimate I got, but still a lot cheaper than The Last Detail. [emoji3]
Schaumburg Auto Body has a lot of experience repairing NSX's, including mine. They do an excellent job on them.

Nothing against The Last Detail; The Last Detail is the best high-end body shop in the area, and if you're an absolute fanatic about your repairs, you probably ought to go there. But it's very expensive, and you'll probably be paying a lot more than at Schaumburg.

Back