• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tapatalk status

I just disabled it due to a flood of spammers registering through it. Tapatalk bypasses most of my normal anti-spam measures for site registration, but it hadn't been a big issue until now. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to keep it without providing a back door to spammers.

Hm, hopefully you can disable registration through Tapatalk and reenable the plugin. Thanks for looking into it. As crappy as the app is, I find it the best way to keep up.

The mobile web interface wouldn't be so bad if there were a mark-all-read option. Am I missing one?

- - - Updated - - -

FYI: the Tapatalk Blog indicates that it is possible to disable in-app registration.
Here is a picture of the options screen.

has this problem fixed? I sill can't access prime on tapatalk, which is where I access prime mostly these days. thanks.

Yes, I apologize for pestering but it would be great to get Tapatalk back. It seems like it is possible to disable in-app registrations so shouldn't that take care of the problem?

Didn't realize how much I used it until kw I don't have it.

I had notifications set in a lot of threads and got updates thru my phone all the time.

Please bring it back😥

Interesting. I had put a question in via their tech support before NSXPO and they told me flat out that they regretted to inform me that Tapatalk did not support a way to restrict registration. Perhaps they misunderstood the question. I've been at NSXPO and an extended trip in the region after the event wrapped, then busy catching up since I got home, so I'll look at it again sometime this week. I had completely deleted the site from their system based on their tech support response so I'll have to set everything up from scratch.

My usage of tapatalk decreased substantially when they radically changed the design from a convenient forum reader into a hybrid social app experience littered with ios7's non-intuitive non-buttons and hard to read white/grey text.

Any chance of any app builder here creating an app for access to NSXPRIME only, to no longer need to wade thru tapatalk's gauntlet via a half dozen presses and swipes just to access Prime forum? Even at $10 an app, I'd be in.

Or are things so proprietary with the reader service that it's a near impossibility?

Yes I agree Tapatalk became irritating. I was able to keep my copy of Tapatalk Pro, which retained the old design and still worked. I'm not sure that's true now that I have a new phone. If the mobile theme for Prime had a "mark all read" button, that would probably satisfy my. Right now I access the desktop theme on my iPhone with a lot of zooming in and out.

I also would pay $10 for a good app to access Prime.

I have temporarily re-enabled it, but in the last few days Tapatalk has apparently decided to start charging forum owners to remove spam and annoying features. It started out as a nice way to add a feature to the site, but their new model of trying to be their own platform just monetizing the content from all their member sites, and then on top of that expecting sites to pay to not have spam pop-ups and signatures, and putting in place the tools to start marketing directly to members by mining e-mail addresses out of the user database, etc is simply not acceptable.

I'm going to work on a responsive style for the site that will perform better on mobile. Tapatalk is 100% going away very shortly unless than immediately change course on their new business model. Ever since the app design change Yinzer mentioned above usage has dropped off sharply anyway, to the point where only a couple dozen people use it regularly on this site anyway (per their own analytics).

Thank you for the explanation Lud. I agree that it sounds like Tapatalk is to be avoided. I support development of the mobile theme and really appreciate the energy you put into Prime.

You know, as phone screens get bigger, the mobile theme is working pretty nicely, for me at least. Much nicer than I recall it being months/years ago and worlds better than tapatalk currently.

3d73c99638d1b9823a057a9910f1b8a2.jpg

37699d42915272377a8b4ff05da86d05.jpg

I've said it before, the only saving grace for me personally about using the crappatalk app is ease of uploading photos into posts. I hit my limit for uploading photos directly into a post at Prime years ago! :)

Which begs the question...if Prime divorces itself from tapatalk, which I'd personally not lose any sleep over, do photos uploaded to tapatalk (like the two in my response here) go away?

Back