• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Pursuit of Personalizing Perfection - Track Addict's build thread

If I remember back in the day the tarox was popular because the calipers were low profile and small allowing stock front fitments...they would not be a first choice for a track setup..

slimline caliper = poor heat dissipation , smaller pad sizes ect.....but maybe tarox has changed since the days of Mark J bringing them to our attention...let us know..

Been a while since my last update.

Not a whole lot has changed with the car, but I will say that I did enjoy a very nice track weekend over at CVR for my birthday weekend (Feb 22) felt good to be out on a wet track.

Thanks to Mike Bratcher for selling me his Bride seat rail, now I can honestly say that I will be able to fit into my car with a helmet and not worry about hitting my head anymore. (FINALLY!) I will be looking into getting a passenger SPG and rail this year to finally make things symmetrical in my interior

Speaking of my interior, I finally got word from my upholstery guy and he is almost done with my headliner, A and B pillars, and Door cards in charcoal Alcantara...I am so excited to not have my interior missing so many pivotal pieces.

The Big news is coming from outside the car;

The first announcement is that I will be picking up a clutch I have been anxiously awaiting to show Prime. I will post pics and a complete write up on this thread and in other sections of Prime so that people can see what the excitement is all about. I am also considering allowing people to drive my car to feel the clutch for themselves at WestFest in case they want to purchase one for themselves.

The second announcement is that I have closed a deal for a spare C30A and Transmission. I plan to rebuild the trans with short gears ASAP and really enjoy my car that much more on the street and track. The engine will be torn down and I will begin the build process, but don't plan on making large strides in that arena as I still don't have all the necessary capital to finish the project fully.

Final announcement is I'll be picking up my JRZ coilovers and finally getting around to figuring out the adjustments needed to make them a permanent resident on my car. We'll see though, I've been lagging on these for 3 years (somebody shoot me lol) THIS IS THE YEAR I WILL FINISH THIS!

Very exciting stuff!! Stay tuned

@RYU
Love your build! But for the love of Christ, install the JRZs already haha

Great news: I have finally installed my JRZ coilovers. It was quite the jigsaw puzzle to fit them, but in the end I figured it out. After discharging the nitrogen I was able to compress the shock/spring enough to install them and there were some other little quirks to getting everything situated BUT IT IS DONE! Words cannot express the excitement. I haven't driven it much due to the dire need of a proper alignment (which will be done tomorrow). Expect lots of driving and suspension tuning updates...hopefully some really nerdy posts to come

Pics of the Rear

IMG_4532_zpsyyvxaxcl.jpg

Front

IMG_4531_zpsz8z3253l.jpg

My nitrogen "charging station" @9doors , yes I know yours is bigger :biggrin:

IMG_4570_zpsjyfzqfll.jpg

Last edited:
Another update (these are becoming a thing lately)

Decided to spill the beans on my new clutch. I have been working closely with Tilton Engineering in the process of remaking their carbon/carbon clutch for the NSX. Pleased to say that I have the initial product and am making progress installing it into my car.

Some information about the clutch and flywheel;
- Full carbon drive and floater plates
- Twin and Triple plate configurations available, Twin plate is rated up to a max of 670hp and the triple is 1000+hp
- Billet aluminum clutch cover and drive hub
- Interchangeable pressure plate, allowing the user to compensate for wear
- Customizable spring (depending on application needs) to minimize pedal effort or increase max clamping force
- One piece chromoly flywheel @ 6.5 lbs (with pilot bearing)

The comparison of the entire Tilton assembly versus the OEM twin disc resulted in a 23.0lbs difference in favor of the Tilton

F440320F-5152-46C3-AB99-E12A5A6844E1_zpsntzpr8ux.jpg

I am utilizing the OS Giken Movement alteration kit in order reorient the release bearing from a "pull" to a "push" type

IMG_4716_zpshjyrmj7g.jpg

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
^^^ i'm very curious how this will compare to the OS Giken STR2C. Need to plan a track day when you get this installed. LMK, i'll try to attend.

Curious how the noise will be with the floaters but also in carbon.

I will post video of the car with the clutch installed once I get to it. As far as noise the Tilton should be much quieter than the OS due to the full carbon construction (the metal floaters are what rattle)

Always happy to have you out on track Ryu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
:eek::eek: huge savings!

Do you know how streetable is this clutch?

Thanks!

Curious to know this as well. Has Tilton mentioned anything about price for this piece?

:eek::eek: huge savings!

Do you know how streetable is this clutch?

Thanks!

I will be writing a complete review of this clutch once I finish the install. Keep an eye out for it here, Fbook and you can even follow me on my Instagram account to stay up on my car!

Curious to know this as well. Has Tilton mentioned anything about price for this piece?

So far this is the pricing

The twin-plate clutch (no flywheel) retails for $4010.

The movement alteration kit from OS Giken is $510

how did you get them? Just curious, always entertaining to hear how people find a set. Mine took quite the fishing expedition.

I bought this set from Mark at Dali racing before he sold his shop.

I've actually had my hands on three sets of NA1-R wheels, wish I would have kept them all...

Ha ha great! So, of course, next question-where did you get the other two, ha ha! And did you sell two sets to current prime members?

Oh interesting.. the tilton uses the OSG alteration kit. I missed that. I be thought that fork and bearing looked familiar.

Tilton doesn't make a "kit" for the NSX anymore, they used to though. this is me trying a custom setup to make sure it works. The bearing contact surface of the OSG is within Tilton's specs and it is the most cost effective way to convert the Honda release bearing.

I am pleased to announce that I have installed my Tilton twin-plate carbon clutch and put almost 100 miles on it since my last post.

Wow.

There is so much I would like to say about this clutch, but right now I am in class and should be paying attention.

Now THAT is a upgrade worth to cheer about!! Way to go Jon. Too bad I did not wait, had to settle for the Exedy twin.:frown:

Thanks Tim. You can always contact me if you end up getting rid of your Exedy unit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the initial (~150 miles) impressions regarding the Tilton Carbon Clutch;

-Throttle response is almost precognitive, it's incredible

-Acceleration has improved greatly (similar to a short gear trans)

-Clutch has proven to be very drivable around town and in traffic

-Pedal pressure is indistinguishable from an OEM clutch

-Starting from a dead stop takes getting used to

I will be posting my full write up soon, along with a short video to show everyone.

Stay tuned.

Please remember that I will be at WestFest and want people to experience this clutch first hand.

Last edited:
Another update;

I forgot to mention that when I installed my Tilton clutch I noticed that my front engine mount was cracking (see picture) I ordered the insert kit from @titaniumdave and will have to pour my mounts once I get the car back in the air to prevent the mounts from being damaged any further.
IMG_4719_zpswfzcc7pe.jpg

This should end up being a fun and messy project. I will post my experience with the process. I should be getting my headers and HFCs from [MENTION=13747]Cody@LoveFab[/MENTION] any day now so that will be the perfect time to reinforce these mounts.

Another nice surprise last week was that my upholstery guy called me and said my interior parts would be ready this week. I had them covered in grey alcantara...after not having my interior for almost a year it is really nice to say that I will no longer have that "stripped out" look to my NSX soon. I only have the headliner and A-Pillars right now, but will pick up the remaining pieces this week as time allows.

fullsizeoutput_c84_zpsdwyt8mi2.jpeg

So much is happening in such a short time. Thank goodness I will be done with school soon and have more time for myself and other NSXers Happy that I will have a complete interior for WestFest!

Hi Track Addict!

Do you know if this clutch is going to be offered as a final product for others to buy?

It looks good! and saving 23 lbs sounds great!

Thanks for sharing!

BV

Thanks Tim. You can always contact me if you end up getting rid of your Exedy unit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the initial (~150 miles) impressions regarding the Tilton Carbon Clutch;

-Throttle response is almost precognitive, it's incredible

-Acceleration has improved greatly (similar to a short gear trans)

-Clutch has proven to be very drivable around town and in traffic

-Pedal pressure is indistinguishable from an OEM clutch

-Starting from a dead stop takes getting used to

I will be posting my full write up soon, along with a short video to show everyone.

Stay tuned.

Please remember that I will be at WestFest and want people to experience this clutch first hand.

Hi Track Addict!

Do you know if this clutch is going to be offered as a final product for others to buy?

It looks good! and saving 23 lbs sounds great!

Thanks for sharing!

BV

Hey BV,

I am currently in the works of putting together a complete clutch kit for a small run. Final pricing is almost nailed down. Be on the look out on the vendor page and Facebook groups for final announcement.

If I can sell the small batch that I have then I may be able to offer more of these in the future should there be enough interest

Nice! I'm not on Facebook, but i'll be checking the vendor page!

Thanks

Bruno

Hey BV,

I am currently in the works of putting together a complete clutch kit for a small run. Final pricing is almost nailed down. Be on the look out on the vendor page and Facebook groups for final announcement.

If I can sell the small batch that I have then I may be able to offer more of these in the future should there be enough interest

I finally have some video to share of me giving the new clutch a go

[video]http://vid1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc408/jlanaya21/IMG_4771_zpsdwqynnes.mp4[/video]

Back