• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Pursuit of Personalizing Perfection - Track Addict's build thread

Hey Prime,

Creating this build thread to help log my NSX's history, progress, and to keep tabs on my track events as well. I have owned the car for quite some time and I have never really gone into too many details on what all I have done to it on this board. Time to share.

attachment.php

Before I start into my NSX ownership I would like to briefly explain my automotive history; 1989 Honda CRX started my love affair with Honda, 1994 Honda Del Sol gave me my first taste of VTEC and was the car I first started tracking with, then there were about 5 Toyota MR2s all were purchased in the hopes to give me a familiarity to the MR Layout. My last MR2, a black hardtop turbo car, I had finally felt I had enough experience driving the "poor man's NSX" and decided to step up with the prices being so incredibly low at the time (late 2008).

The hunt for me was rather fast than most whom start their search. From the time I started looking I knew the criteria that was important to me;

-Stock/ virtually unmolested
-Low-ish miles, but maintained
-Manual (duh)
-Hardtop
-Black, White originally, later adding Sebring Silver
-Clean body/paint (for white and silver I added having the black top as a requisite)

Maybe (hard to remember exactly after so many years now) eight months into my search, She appeared to me. All stock with the exception of the OZ ultraleggera wheels, had 69,999 miles on it after my test drive and I couldn't find a single flaw that mattered to me. (in hindsight I would have haggled more knowing what I know now). After a short trip to San Diego (I lived in the San Luis Obispo area at the time) and two days of inspection and haggling the deal was struck and I was an owner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My aim for the NSX has remained unchanged since that day; I aim to create a very aggressive NSX that retained the factory "balance", one that could lay burn down on any track but still civil enough to drive a lady on a nice date without feeling the need to apologize.

My plan to achieve this goal is using the lightweight NA outline, not because my goals are more easily achieved using this method (it's actually more difficult I have found in previous build experience). My reasoning for this approach is that the lightweight, naturally aspirated better suited my driving style.

If I was asked to describe the NSX's best attribute in one word I would have to say "Balance". That balance is superb and something I have not come across in my time behind the wheel of many other sports cars and even track cars. Once I took her out to the track (Thunderhill) for the first time, I could describe the event as a "fish to water" but I feel that this still doesn't accurately depict how incredible a stock NSX feels out where it was developed. This balance was across exhibited of all the parts of the car; the brakes matched the power, the chassis matched the suspension and every other component seemed in perfect harmony as a whole. My single limitation of this build is the attempt to retain this feeling of balance. To not overpower or under build one aspect of the car that would leave another component to fall victim to being muted.

Every part I choose has to be thought of critically to fit perfectly with the others. Any sacrifices made accounted for and supplemented. While most of my car still remains as Honda originally equipped that all will change in time.

I will be changing these mod and track lists as new additions arise

Installed Mod list:

-CT-Engineering Swaybars
-Taitec GTLW Exhaust
-Dinan tuned ECU
-Cedar Ridge Fabrication Titanium Harness bar
-Cedar Ridge Fabrication Non Compliance Clamps, Rear Beam Bearings, Heavy Duty Toe links and Swaybar end links
-Recaro SPG seat w/ Bride seat rail (driver side only)
-Schroth 6-point clubman harnesses
-92-95 NSX-R wheels (OEM 15/16 setup for track)
-Blodi front signal covers
-Dali Racing "Two Scoops" hood
-Dali Racing Brake air deflectors
-Kinetic Custom Machine lightweight Shorai Battery
-Aluminum front and rear crash beams (made by me)
-WORKS Grab Shift knob
-Scorp shift boot collar
-WORKS aluminum lug nuts
-Carbotech XP8 front pads w/ XP10 rear pads
-Torque 700 brake fluid

Purchased, but not installed yet

- JRZ 3-way adjustable coilovers w/ Swift springs (10k front and 8k rear)
- MASIV Radiator

Immediate "wish list" (limit for this list is 3 items)

- OS Giken differential
- Taitec headers
- ITBs

---Traversed Tracks---

- Sears Point (AKA Sonoma Raceway/Infineon)*
- Thunderhill
- Buttonwillow
- Thermal

---Upcoming Tracks----

- Chuckwalla
- Big Willow
- Laguna Seca

*-Home Track

Enough talk! Let's see some pictures.

attachment.php

Good shot of the NA1 NSX-R wheels
attachment.php

Front coming off for the lightweight beam
attachment.php

And the rear...
attachment.php

A decent picture of my SPG installed with the Schroth in place on the TiDave bar.
attachment.php

Another pic of the bar w/o the passenger seat installed. (you can just make out the Dinan sticker on my ECU)
attachment.php

Cryotreated slotted rotors and new Carbotech pads!
attachment.php

JRZ coilovers after getting them back from rebuilt at PSI
attachment.php

Antenna Delete w/ OEM plug
attachment.php

best shot I have of the hood, it isn't easy to photograph I have found.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 3,213
  • IMG_2688.jpg
    IMG_2688.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3,187
  • IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,180
  • IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 3,172
  • IMG_2865.jpg
    IMG_2865.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 3,171
  • IMG_2568.jpg
    IMG_2568.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 3,179
  • IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 3,169
  • IMG_2480.jpg
    IMG_2480.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 3,164
  • _DSC3175 copy.jpg
    _DSC3175 copy.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3,173
  • _DSC3210 copy.jpg
    _DSC3210 copy.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,184
  • IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 3,172
Last edited:
I decided to remove some sound deadening from the cockpit of the NSX. I was very cautious about doing this because I don't want to make the car a nightmare to drive. Here's what I removed with approximately 15lbs of dry ice, a rubber mallet and some patience.
attachment.php

attachment.php

After both driver and passenger sides were said and done I had lost almost 9 pounds of useless, heavy, peace and quiet from the floorboard of my car. Pretty significant weight loss considering how much it cost me.

One item that was interesting to me was the sound deadening piece located on the rear firewall. I began the laborious task of disconnecting and dismounting everything on the rear firewall to finally be able to safely remove this piece. It was cumbersome and surprisingly heavy, weighing in at just over 10lbs!

attachment.php

Now what I am sure people will ask is "how loud did all of this make your car?"...The answer? not any real significant amount louder, in fact I have found that driving my car is much more pleasant because of the VERY slightly increased amount of engine noise throughout the RPM range. (please note that I have all the rest of the interior installed except for the afore mentioned sound deadening pieces)

When all was said and done I lost over 20lbs!

Attachments

• DSCN2974.jpg
    DSCN2974.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 3,044
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 716
  • DSCN2978.jpg
    DSCN2978.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 715
  • DSCN2980.jpg
    DSCN2980.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 3,035
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 3,038
Subscribed! Looking forward to reading about your progress.

Thanks, I will admit that this build will be a slow one. I hope that you enjoy and put forth some nice suggestions and comments as your build is one I have followed for a long time.

And do I hear or see a "how low can you go?" diet for this car?

Yes and no JC; I do plan to lighten my car as a way to improve performance, but not so much that I turn my car into something miserable to drive. So again it comes back to a balance.

Last edited:
Np, glad to help.

Install those JRZs already. I need someone to compare notes with.

I want to! Stupid college workload keep holding me up.

What did you use to plug the antenna hole?

I used a factory antenna delete plug for an integra. I will get the part number as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Neat build. I have the same antenna plug on my nsx since I don't listen to FM. Got it off eBay for less then 10$shipped.

Hi Jawn! Looking good man.

Thanks Tuan!

So it has taken me several days to recover from NSXPO. Some news o report regarding my car;

For the first time ever my car started to overheat while on track. Not all that surprising with ambient temps above 106*. I could get about 4-5 laps in full bore before the factory temp gauge would start to climb, I then short shifted for about a full lap so I could try and show my passenger a good time :wink:

I cringe to think what my temps would have done if I didn't have my vented hood.

Looks like when I pull the motor for her major service I will be in the market for a new radiator to help make sure that this issue never rears it's ugly head again.

Last edited:
Happy to say that I finally found replacement carpets for my NSX. The last owner thought it was a good idea to cut the carpets and install speakers. I will post pictures when I install them.

Hey everyone, I haven't updated my build thread in almost a year! I figure I would post here to bump and update on some new happenings:

-No, I still haven't installed the new carpets that I purchased so many months ago

-My headliner, A-Pillar, and B-Pillar interior panels are out and with an upholstery friend getting redone in alcantara

-I ordered a MASIV radiator through @Coz which I am very excited about.

-I have ordered almost the entire LoveFab catalog (including one item that isn't listed) including front and lower chassis bars, rear coupe 4 point brace.. all in titanium. Very excited to get in on the latest group buy. Huge thanks to @Cody@LoveFab for answering all of my questions and sticking with my incessant desire for his stuff in this very expensive and exquisite metal.

I will post pics once I parts being to arrive, but between finishing school and fixing a lot of other Prime members cars the amount of time I have to work on my own car is very limited.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Of which, I have in my possession for you :)

Hey everyone, I haven't updated my build thread in almost a year! I figure I would post here to bump and update on some new happenings:

Thanks to [MENTION=4034]Coz[/MENTION] for delivering my MASIV while he was in CA. Greatly appreciated and I cannot wait to not be so busy and actually get install this piece of art!
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 2,721
Do you know if the MASIV radiator is compatible with the upper Lovefab chassis bar?

Thanks

Bruno

-I have ordered almost the entire LoveFab catalog (including one item that isn't listed) including front and lower chassis bars, rear coupe 4 point brace.. all in titanium. Very excited to get in on the latest group buy. Huge thanks to @Cody@LoveFab for answering all of my questions and sticking with my incessant desire for his stuff in this very expensive and exquisite metal.

Which one of these is mine?

Yours is in the box still, waiting for you to schedule and install :biggrin:

Congrats on the rad! I'm getting the latest version just like yours but I think i'm at the back end of the order list lol

Dang, that sucks, but it will be well worth it I am sure.

Do you know if the MASIV radiator is compatible with the upper Lovefab chassis bar?

Thanks

Bruno

Hey Bruno, I spoke with [MENTION=13747]Cody@LoveFab[/MENTION] and he said that there should be zero problems with fitment because of the radiator. the MASIV is the exact same size as the OE unit. I was much more worried about my ducted hood not being able to fit the bar to be quite honest. Thankfully I checked and everything should clear just fine.

Back