• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Put on new driveshafts now there is a new noise

Had my garage install InsaneShafts on my 94. I also changed the half shaft bearing + its clips/bolts. I Picked up the car at the end of the day and then I heard a faint sound that increased with my vehicles speed. No matter what gear, wether the clutch was engaged or disengaged it still makes the sound. I stayed in the parking lot making slow circles and the sound did not change.

I left the car at the garage so they can test the car on a lift in the morning.
Anybody have any suggestions?

*edit* The car felt super smooth when accelerating and the slight vibration from before is gone but now there is the slight clicking sounds

Last edited:
*Update*

Picked up the car today and realized sound is actually engine speed dependant. I hear the clicking sound but it disappears when I push the clutch in.
[MENTION=3729]Larry Bastanza[/MENTION] I ionder why this would be evident only after changing the driveshafts??

I suspect the driveshafts were making a noise, and now that they are quiet your other sound is more apparent.

Last month I had the Insane Shafts installed and have noticed a faint noise after engaging the clutch. The noise disappears when the clutch is depressed (I wondered if it could have been my new tires). There is no slippage or any apparent bad things happening.

I'm grateful for this post and Larry's response as I was almost getting concerned,

Matt

I suspect the driveshafts were making a noise, and now that they are quiet your other sound is more apparent.

Seems like my passenger side driveshaft has excessive play and is making noise.
Here is a video:

I've contacted my email seller who gave me Mike @ InsaneShafts number and email.
Let's see what happens.

Car went back to the shop today. We put the car on the lift and noticed both shafts make the same noise. OEM shaft's that have been removed, seem to be able to move around as well is that normal?

Should there be noise when moving the shaft side to side?

mmm..... The outer CV there is a large spring to preload the shaft, it may be that that spring is missing/broken. What about sound when you rotate them?

mmm..... The outer CV there is a large spring to preload the shaft, it may be that that spring is missing/broken. What about sound when you rotate them?

Didn't make noise when turning it manually. It seems to stop when I put the clutch in though. Odd, that possibly the new driveshafts being installed has now made a bearing somewhere along the drivetrain make noise?

Put back on my OEM driveshafts and the noise is gone. Mike asked me to send back the InsaneShafts for him to have a look.

I still have the Insaneshafts at home and have yet to ship them back to their factory to find out what is wrong. I'm wondering since it seems like many aftermarket shafts (duralast, surtrack) are only selling the driver's side shaft. Are the passenger shafts that difficult to make to spec? Could that be the reason why my Insaneshaft was defective?

Should I just have a shop rebuild my OEM shafts using parts from the Insaneshafts?

Are you saying Insaneshafts don't want to acknowledge the issue? Fix it or refund payment?

No no not at all. Mike has been great and is still open to me sending them back to be repaired.
My issue is, there is another member who has the same problem with his shafts. So I'm wondering if I should ditch the shafts completely and ask the E-Bay store where I purchased them to refund me.

Mike HAS agreed to check them out and fix them.

It seems difficult for aftermarket to make shafts for this car? Am I wrong? Duralast & surtrack only make the drivers side, maybe there is an issue replicating the passenger side?

update: Had some work done, including having my HKS Hipermax coilovers rebuilt by Feal Suspension & re-installing the new set of InsaneShafts (replacement for the defective set) & the car is AMAZING.

Back