• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cig lighter blown - fuses look fine

Hi all,

I was using the 25 year old OEM tire pump powered through the cig lighter to pump up my tires before track day. I accidentally ran it longer than the recommended 15 min and it shut off by itself. It was quite hot. I then checked the 20A fuse for "Cigar Lighter" in the engine compartment and it looked fine. Replaced it with a spare 20A fuse anyways, but lighter still isn't working. I assume the ring around the lighter socket illuminates when it's working.

12079424_10205118178304060_6397500314877250498_n.jpg

As far as I can tell, no other electronic accessories in the car are malfunctioning, just the cig lighter. Is it likely that the lighter unit itself needs to be replaced, or can I check some other fuses?

I believe that ring illuminates with the dash lights, not as a result of power to the lighter itself. I'd have to check that though. Have you tried plugging something else into the socket, like a phone charger? The fuse may have been blown even if it looked OK - those can be deceptive.

I believe that ring illuminates with the dash lights, not as a result of power to the lighter itself. I'd have to check that though. Have you tried plugging something else into the socket, like a phone charger? The fuse may have been blown even if it looked OK - those can be deceptive.

When I turn the dash lights on, the cig lighter ring doesn't illuminate. However there's a light that comes on inside the socket itself. I tried plugging in a phone charger but it doesn't work.

I'm wondering if something has gone wrong behind the center console/lighter itself.

IMG_20151009_084938.jpg

Time to open the console. Im guessing the power lead to the cig had wiggle itself off.. Just a guess though.

Two items to check.

First, and the less likely source of the problem is that the lighter gets powered up through a relay. Check to confirm that the relay is working. Unfortunately, you have to remove the glove box to gain access to the relay.

Second, and more likely the cause of the problem, there is a thermo fuse in the base of the cigarette lighter receptacle. This likely got cooked from extended use with the air compressor. You are going to have to pull the center console to gain access to the thermo fuse.

I was in the car today and checked this for you. The clear plastic ring around the lighter socket is supposed to illuminate when the dash lights are on.

Cig lighter not working is a common problem. the rivet on the back of the cig lighter, can work its way loose. You will need to open the center console to get to it.

I soldered mine to ensure a good connection.

Two items to check.

First, and the less likely source of the problem is that the lighter gets powered up through a relay. Check to confirm that the relay is working. Unfortunately, you have to remove the glove box to gain access to the relay.

Second, and more likely the cause of the problem, there is a thermo fuse in the base of the cigarette lighter receptacle. This likely got cooked from extended use with the air compressor. You are going to have to pull the center console to gain access to the thermo fuse.

The 2nd thing was my guess as well, based on the circuit diagram in the owner's manual. I will have to check this.

I was in the car today and checked this for you. The clear plastic ring around the lighter socket is supposed to illuminate when the dash lights are on.

Thanks for checking that!

Cig lighter not working is a common problem. the rivet on the back of the cig lighter, can work its way loose. You will need to open the center console to get to it.

I soldered mine to ensure a good connection.

Looks like I'll definitely have to open the center console to diagnose this issue.

My Corolla experienced the same problem. We were in a convoy and a friend was driving the Corolla, I was in the NSX. We had to use the NSX's pump to pump up a spare tire for a 3rd car, and had it plugged into the Corolla's lighter. Same symptom.

It'll look like this, most likely.
IMG_20140417_223324_585.jpg

The little black 'wire' opens up with too much heat. Solder a new little wire in its place and you're good!

My Corolla experienced the same problem. We were in a convoy and a friend was driving the Corolla, I was in the NSX. We had to use the NSX's pump to pump up a spare tire for a 3rd car, and had it plugged into the Corolla's lighter. Same symptom.

It'll look like this, most likely.
IMG_20140417_223324_585.jpg

The little black 'wire' opens up with too much heat. Solder a new little wire in its place and you're good!

Will any kind of wire work, or do I need to get a specific type? I have no experience with soldering, unfortunately.

I just used a little scrap of 18ga or so I had laying about my shop. A mechanic who deals with electrical repairs, or a car stereo shop should be able to get you set straight.
Once the console's out, if you're not comfortable soldering you could swing that piece by a BestBuy or similar stereo shop and they *should* be able to fix it in all of about a minute (if you have the rear of the lighter exposed ready to work on it).

Some shops might be useless and not want to mess with it, that's a good sign to never walk into that shop again :) lol

On the flip side, Weller has a nice soldering gun for about $30 at most hardware stores;
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Wel...earch&gslfah&gclid=CJOw8sKJwMgCFQEMaQodVt4F4Q

Snatch that up and get some scrap wire and practice soldering it together and then when you're comfortable solder in a new little jumper. Then you gain a tool and a skill!

Of course this all assumes the little thermo fuse is indeed bad, but that will be obvious once the console is out!
And replacing the lighter portion is always an option, too, if you don't wish to mess around with repairing it.

Last edited:
I just used a little scrap of 18ga or so I had laying about my shop. A mechanic who deals with electrical repairs, or a car stereo shop should be able to get you set straight.
Once the console's out, if you're not comfortable soldering you could swing that piece by a BestBuy or similar stereo shop and they *should* be able to fix it in all of about a minute (if you have the rear of the lighter exposed ready to work on it).

Some shops might be useless and not want to mess with it, that's a good sign to never walk into that shop again :) lol

On the flip side, Weller has a nice soldering gun for about $30 at most hardware stores;
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Wel...earch&gslfah&gclid=CJOw8sKJwMgCFQEMaQodVt4F4Q

Snatch that up and get some scrap wire and practice soldering it together and then when you're comfortable solder in a new little jumper. Then you gain a tool and a skill!

Of course this all assumes the little thermo fuse is indeed bad, but that will be obvious once the console is out!
And replacing the lighter portion is always an option, too, if you don't wish to mess around with repairing it.

Man, this is why I love this community. Thanks for taking the time to lay out all my options. I honestly should just learn to solder. I'll take apart my center console and remove the lighter unit, then decide if I'm up to the task. If not then I'll swing by an electronics store.

Many thanks!

P.S. Here's a video of my track day from this past Saturday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=525XPvYJKIo

NSX looked right at home out there..

I'm digging the touge video, looks like a blast, too;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mDEA1LPCxQ

So I'll bite.. what IS The car at 4:06? Almost looks like an old Celica Supra, but it was barely a blur.

I'll give you some hints. It's from the 80's and it's Japanese, but not one of the "Big 3" manufacturers. It was also sold in the US with a Chrysler badge. :)

Back