• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 - 2001 NSX ~ Look no further for our LED "smooth" Integrated Bumper Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
1991 - 2001 NSX ~ Look no further for our LED "smooth" Integrated Bumper Lenses

We are excited to be offering something in the near future that MANY NSX owners have asked us to build to give our beloved NSX's a more modern flair in terms of updated LED lighting. Just as technology has come a long way, so has LED tech and as in most modern car taillights and headlights you now see "smooth" LED lights with no single pinpoint lights.

There are many terms for this type of "diffused" LED lights but we call it Daylight Beams in which the light is a very smooth LED light.

We have been building LED DRL system for the 1991-2001 NSX's for many years now but the biggest drawback has always been the cost. To do the modifications we would either need the owner to send us their OEM bumper lenses or buy a new set from Acura which we all know is not cheap. Add to that the cost of labor to modify each set individually plus the actual cost of the parts puts these lenses well into the $1k range.

With all the known facts above, we set out to prototype and design our own set of REPLACEMENT lights which means owners can buy these directly without sacrificing or using their existing lenses. Thus these would be turn-key replacements of your existing lights.

The cost to open a new mold for this type of light is costly and the investment usually requires somewhere in the neighborhood of running 300-500 pairs of these lights to cover all the costs so we wanted to run some ideas by you ideas first. Please give us your input on what you think of our prototype renderings.

Our goal is to offer these lights at a retail price point of $699 per set of lights which we think is a very fair target price.

We are prepared to offer an introductory price for the first 20 committed buyers with a $100 discount so $599 for the first 20 committed buyers.

We are still working on the final details but essentially this light would be a direct replacement for the current OEM bumper lenses and have DUAL LED functionality. We want it to act as both a DRL and also a blinker so this would function just like the OEM lenses in terms of blinker / DRL.

As many of you may or may not know, this idea came about from one of our previous designs here:

OEM lenses in smoked version:

22198EE2-B28D-40DC-A4F9-06DDE52DEF17_zps23dgwkva.jpg

Below are the prototype photos, we know many of you asked for a clear lenses version so we plan to offer these with the clear lenses instead of the smoked however both can be an option.

All comments appreciated ~ remember this would be a brand new product made from scratch so once we gather enough comments and feel we have a good grasp to get the green light, it will take 12-15 weeks for the initial ramp up for production. Since this is a new product we welcome all ideas and comments now....

thanks
staff

www.euroboutique.us

Instagram [MENTION=26664]Euro[/MENTION]boutique

Man, I've been asking for these for like 3 years! Finally.
My only comment so far is that I'm a little confused by the shape. The NSX bumper lenses have an angle on 1 side but not the other...

Last edited:
Well, those are something. If you can make those OEM plug and play, consider me sold.

Sign me up as one of the first 20

Man, I've been asking for these for like 3 years! Finally.
My only comment so far is that I'm a little confused by the shape. The NSX bumper lenses have an angle on 1 side but not the other...

We know you have been asking but engineering these are a lot harder than it sounds.

This is only a rendering sample - not the actual NSX light shape obviously. We only using it to show the lighting layout.

At this point this is all just in the planning and development stages so we need to see if there is enough interest before we invest into the tooling costs as those are quite significant. Anytime you are making a custom part for a limited production car, we need to make sure there is enough demand.

thanks

Since you maybe starting with a custom mold would it be like the factory lens or one that flushes like the photo above? Interested aswell

We know you have been asking but engineering these are a lot harder than it sounds.

This is only a rendering sample - not the actual NSX light shape obviously. We only using it to show the lighting layout.

At this point this is all just in the planning and development stages so we need to see if there is enough interest before we invest into the tooling costs as those are quite significant. Anytime you are making a custom part for a limited production car, we need to make sure there is enough demand.

thanks

I'd say to make it a cleaner look, skip the two level (top orange, bottom white) and make the unit just have 1 single level with both colors integrated.

These single strips can shine in both colors:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hVj2P8z5KKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That looks really nice.

I'd say to make it a cleaner look, skip the two level (top orange, bottom white) and make the unit just have 1 single level with both colors integrated.

These single strips can shine in both colors:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hVj2P8z5KKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm interested either way, but agree with Hapa88 that the single level with both colors may look better.

Keep the comments coming, we are exploring all options at this point but the final mold will only be one design. It's very expensive to create these small volume pieces and we demand top quality too so cost is always an issue with the number of NSX's out there today.

We will say we have NO PLANS to use cheap LED strips in this design. As with our LEVEL 2 LED DRL system, this is a full complete turn-key system that will employ the highest level quality SMT LED's mounted to a circuit board designed for the harsh auto environment. We want the LED's to be very robust and handle all the shock of normal driving. As such the LED's will be high output and could be dual output color. We are not settled on the design of the LED shape nor the size, etc.

For those who currently run our LEVEL 2 LED DRL system, we know those lights are very intense but also focused light designed to not blind oncoming drivers. These LED lights will be of the same quality.

thanks!

These look great and I'm interested. Add me to the list :biggrin:

as always as time goes on the products get better and better …for those who have the original integrated lEDS (5 lights) will there be a away to retrofit new light bar into already cut turn lamp housing or maybe just offer a plug and play to utilize the wiring and modulator already installed …i know it is early in development but maybe you can think about the previous cutovers who nested in other products and how to make them utilize the new product as well…just a thought keep being innovative

Looking good. I agree that the flush mugen look would be great and the duel color led would be my choice. I think your price Point is good also.

Hi,

Well since "all comments appreciated", and since this is going to be produced from a new mold (brand new product made from scratch) what about offering a solution that would look like the mugen cover:

mugen_nsx_acura1.jpg

This would be 2 products in 1 :biggrin:

I like this idea! Flush mount plus the dual color LED would update the front nicely in a restrained but elegant way.

Last edited:
Completely agree with the flush mount as stated above a few times - like the Mugen style with a multi color single led.

thanks guys, we will take your ideas into consideration when we do our designs and meet with the engineering guys on this one.

So it seems no one likes the recess mount? I actually prefer the stock look in terms of how the lenses are mounted but that's just me I guess...

Going to be busy for a few weeks with SEMA approaching so will have to get back on this probably in December.

thanks

The plastic lenses are still in development with a few planned SLA molds due by January for us to check and test fit.

In the meantime we have sourced another smooth LED system that can be integrated into any OEM bumper lenses. Check out this setup that is being completed for a custom order. You can supply your OEM lenses or we can supply brand new smoked versions as shown. The blinkers will be on the outside and the inner section will be the LED DRL. This is flipped from the factory setup.

thanks guys, we will take your ideas into consideration when we do our designs and meet with the engineering guys on this one.

So it seems no one likes the recess mount? I actually prefer the stock look in terms of how the lenses are mounted but that's just me I guess...

Going to be busy for a few weeks with SEMA approaching so will have to get back on this probably in December.

thanks

you're not alone. i like the recessed look much better.

I would be interested in a set that looked identical to the prototype however having the light bar bending with the curve of the housing. Having just a line end mid way of the light housing looks a bit homemade crafty.

I would be interested in a set that looked identical to the prototype however having the light bar bending with the curve of the housing. Having just a line end mid way of the light housing looks a bit homemade crafty.

thanks for the input!

The OEM housing from Acura has actually 2 separate compartments (one for the blinker, one for the parking light). In our LEVEL 2 LED DRL systems the 5-LED system will flow across the full light taking up both areas, while the 4-LED system retains the corner bulb for blinker duty.

If you study the actual shape of the complete bumper lenses, you will notice even though the plastic goes from end to end, the actual interior lighting area is not end to end because of the design of the attachment points. You lose about 1" of real estate on each end as those areas are only chrome for reflective purposes but no light reaches out there.

A tricky part of our current engineering design is to look at the actual surface area available. Even the thinnest LED driving lights require more depth that what is allowed by the OEM design. Short of changing the mounting points (which we are not about to do) we feel this is one challenge to address.

PM's replied, thanks to all who gave us input and feedback!

The investment for something like this is not inexpensive by any means so we want to get ideas from everyone. It's hard to please everyone but our goal is to have a product that makes a great alternative to the stock lenses without permanently altering or cutting anything.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back