• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1992 NSX For Sale Near Me

There is a second owner 1992 Acura NSX for sale near me for $34,000. The car has 87,500 miles on it and there are some issues with its condition. Supposedly it is good mechanically, passing a compression test with 210psi on all cylinders.

Now for the bad. The seats don't look like they've been maintained, and the driver's seat has a tear in it. I see that new seats are ~$4,500 each directly from Acura, which is expensive, and they no longer sell them in sections as far as I can tell. So, assuming they can't be cleaned up and saved (the driver's seat for sure), they'd probably have to be recovered and I don't know how much that would cost, or if anyone near me could do a good job and make it look stock. It looks like the leather on the steering wheel hasn't been maintained either and it would probably need to be replaced. It also has a bad window regulator on the passenger side. Finally, there's something wrong with the right front fender (which isn't mentioned in the ad). The fender liner appears to be missing and the lip of the fender where it attaches looks to be damaged. That would mean the fender and liner would have to be replaced (~$1,500).

With those issues, I would think it's not worth the $34,000 asking price. I think my offer would be in the $25,000-$28,000 range with everything I can see. I was hoping to get some other opinions and see if I'm way off in my thinking.

Here's a video walk-around of the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUc4cAdCQi4&feature=youtu.be

Idea

There is a second owner 1992 Acura NSX for sale near me for $34,000. The car has 87,500 miles on it and there are some issues with its condition. Supposedly it is good mechanically, passing a compression test with 210psi on all cylinders.

Now for the bad. The seats don't look like they've been maintained, and the driver's seat has a tear in it. I see that new seats are ~$4,500 each directly from Acura, which is expensive, and they no longer sell them in sections as far as I can tell. So, assuming they can't be cleaned up and saved (the driver's seat for sure), they'd probably have to be recovered and I don't know how much that would cost, or if anyone near me could do a good job and make it look stock. It looks like the leather on the steering wheel hasn't been maintained either and it would probably need to be replaced. It also has a bad window regulator on the passenger side. Finally, there's something wrong with the right front fender (which isn't mentioned in the ad). The fender liner appears to be missing and the lip of the fender where it attaches looks to be damaged. That would mean the fender and liner would have to be replaced (~$1,500).

With those issues, I would think it's not worth the $34,000 asking price. I think my offer would be in the $25,000-$28,000 range with everything I can see. I was hoping to get some other opinions and see if I'm way off in my thinking.

Here's a video walk-around of the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUc4cAdCQi4&feature=youtu.be

How about I just give you 1,000 for the lead and I will take the car. Seriously, you need to go and buy this.

Pair of used seats in decent condition is under a grand. Or you can do leatherseats.com and keep original.

seats are about 500 on ebay... then leatherseats.com new skins are about 699 so about 1200 bucks and your good to go.

but when I look at an NSX and I see the interior is shot I wonder how good they really took care of the engine and other stuff. make them produce papers showing the compression test, receipts
showing the tb/wp replaced and be mindful of the YEAR these things were done. anything after 5-7 years consider it needing to be done asap.

and when people say the tb/wp was done at 40K miles ask what year was that.. could be 10+ years and could snap at any moment.

but read this article about used NSX's and what to look for. its worth reading.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/htup-0810-acura-nsx-buyers-guide/

goodluck

seats are about 500 on ebay... then leatherseats.com new skins are about 699 so about 1200 bucks and your good to go.

but when I look at an NSX and I see the interior is shot I wonder how good they really took care of the engine and other stuff. make them produce papers showing the compression test, receipts
showing the tb/wp replaced and be mindful of the YEAR these things were done. anything after 5-7 years consider it needing to be done asap.

and when people say the tb/wp was done at 40K miles ask what year was that.. could be 10+ years and could snap at any moment.

but read this article about used NSX's and what to look for. its worth reading.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/htup-0810-acura-nsx-buyers-guide/

goodluck

Thanks for the info. I tend to agree with you that when I see an interior that hasn't been maintained, I question how everything else has been looked after.

I asked the owner about the condition of the seats and he said they would need to be conditioned, so the passenger seat may be salvageable.

The passenger front fender liner is missing and I didn't get a response as to why.

I also asked the owner if the transmission has been checked for the snap ring failure issue. He told me the transmission had been replaced with a 35,000 mile transmission because 1st gear was gone and 3rd and 4th were scratchy when he bought it.

Right now, it looks like someone else may have already bought the car (don't know at what price). So, I may have missed the opportunity.

when you start asking questions and they come back with the car is sold that means RUN.

I assume this is the same car listed on craigslist. I sent an email and this is what went down:

"Hi, My name is Jake and I am interested in your NSX but I was curious where it's located. I've seen it advertised in San Diego and El Paso. I was also curious if you've had any kind of pre purchase inspection or other way someone can verify the condition of the vehicle. Thank you."

"I live in El Paso . When you get here you can inspect it and take it home (you won't be wasting your time it's a solid car and is turn key ready to drive cross country). . We have a full service performance shop to perform any inspections you would like on site at no charge to you . Give my page a like , SVS performance We have been in business for 10+ years and have a great reputation for building and selling quality hard to find chassis . "

"Checked out your FB page and you guys look really well reviewed. Problem is I live in Houston so it's kind of a trip for me to just stop on by. I suspect the clearer the condition of the vehicle the less likely we are to agree on a price and then I fly out there with cash in hand and want to renegotiate the price (which is awfully awkward). "

"I have so many offers and l know what I'm holding my brother. landing here and attempting to renegotiate would end up in you not being offered the opportunity to purchase the vehicle. This is not a Honda Civic or another run of the mill s2000 chassis . I've always said "it is easier to negotiate something you can find in any city on any city block in abundance." this is not the case with a low mileage clean titled NSX. However , I believe in full disclosure and have sold many chassis to folks flying in for purchase. There will be no surprises , no hidden angles , I'm not selling because I have issues with it she really is a doll . And in excellent shape considering her age I have bought many vehicles out of town (including Houston) and I totally understand it can be nerve racking . My best advise is buy from trusted sellers ,You have seen my reputation . ask all the questions you can think of and I wouldn't jeopardize my reputation for something as common as money . Additionally I have disclosed allThat is wrong with her currently (seat tears , and bad passenger regulator, occasional and chirps etc ) these items are reflected in my low price . I may help with a few bucks for out of town purchases to help compensate travel/shipping expenses but It won't be much from where it's listed at . This car has generated more interest than any supra , rx7 , Audi , Silvia , gtr's that I have ever sold . The buzz is real and I intend to capitalize on this while being as fair as possible in price . Kick it around a bit , but if ya really want it don't hesitate I'm getting offers every hour very close to my asking price . I think the only reason it's not sold is cuz I'm out of town and most folks can't split town at a moments notice . Come by and check her out . Put your hands on her , and worst case you purchase it . I'm confident you will go home with it ;-) "

I gave up at this point and just said, "Okay good luck with sale" since he clearly has 1200 offers and knows what he's holding. Sketchy if you ask me.

never heard a dealership refer to a car a chassis....... I have hear rebuilders refer to it as a chassis..... I have heard dismantlers refer to is a chassis.

walk away

Yeah walk away buddy! The two guys here in Houston that are the NSX gurus are Carl at C & M Honda and David Fischer, and they have been the only two that have touched my car. Getting to speak to the mechanics that know the car and have worked on the car carries a lot of weight when making your decision to purchase. They have no horse in the race and can offer a different perspective that the seller cannot. So if you find one here in Houston those are the two guys I would recommend performing the PPI. Good luck with your search and just understand that finding the right car can take some time!

I assume this is the same car listed on craigslist. I sent an email and this is what went down:

Yeah, same car. I was interested in the car because I'm only about a 3.5 hour drive away from it, but I won't have a chance to see it anytime soon. Its price wouldn't be too bad if it were as good as he says it is. There are a few things in the photos, and his answers to questions, that give me pause. There is a bit of a shady used car salesman vibe there. Who knows, maybe someone on here will buy it and it'll turn out to be a good buy.

Yeah, same car. I was interested in the car because I'm only about a 3.5 hour drive away from it, but I won't have a chance to see it anytime soon. Its price wouldn't be too bad if it were as good as he says it is. There are a few things in the photos, and his answers to questions, that give me pause. There is a bit of a shady used car salesman vibe there. Who knows, maybe someone on here will buy it and it'll turn out to be a good buy.

Could you elaborate on what you saw in the photos so that I can also spot these issues? I'm still learning how to identify these flaws from a "distance". Not too easy finding NSXs in the area anymore.

Could you elaborate on what you saw in the photos so that I can also spot these issues? I'm still learning how to identify these flaws from a "distance". Not too easy finding NSXs in the area anymore.

Mostly just the things that have already been mentioned. He says it's in its "original unmolested condition" aside from the upgraded clutch. When I questioned him, I found out that it's not running its original transmission. It's missing a front fender liner with no explanation. That could be nothing, or it could be that it was damaged/removed after something happened to that corner of the car. It's like a $300 part, so why not put one in before you sell it? The interior is sub par when you compare it to photos of others from the same year on other sites. When you're billing it as a collectible, that stuff should at least be addressed in the description. You'd have to get up close to tell more. After all, just because it has a clean title, that doesn't mean it hasn't been wrecked.

Mostly just the things that have already been mentioned. He says it's in its "original unmolested condition" aside from the upgraded clutch. When I questioned him, I found out that it's not running its original transmission. It's missing a front fender liner with no explanation. That could be nothing, or it could be that it was damaged/removed after something happened to that corner of the car. It's like a $300 part, so why not put one in before you sell it? The interior is sub par when you compare it to photos of others from the same year on other sites. When you're billing it as a collectible, that stuff should at least be addressed in the description. You'd have to get up close to tell more. After all, just because it has a clean title, that doesn't mean it hasn't been wrecked.

Thank you for the clarification! Good points to consider while searching.

I think you guys are over reacting, for $34k a no accident 87k mileage 2nd owner nsx is a solid deal, if it was in perfect condition it would go for closer to 37-38k imo. Trans probably isnt original because it was in snap ring range so you should be happy its been fixed. i wouldn't skip buying a car as hard to come by as an nsx just because of the steering wheel and seat is worn or ripped, its a 23 year old car those things are bound to wear eventually.

Not sure where you are from but in our area we have several highly recommended upholstery shops that would gladly redo those seats for under 1400. Only thing that makes sense that might sketch you is the fender liner missing, but its not impossible to find I have some laying around in my garage right now

I think you guys are over reacting, for $34k a no accident 87k mileage 2nd owner nsx is a solid deal, if it was in perfect condition it would go for closer to 37-38k imo. Trans probably isnt original because it was in snap ring range so you should be happy its been fixed. i wouldn't skip buying a car as hard to come by as an nsx just because of the steering wheel and seat is worn or ripped, its a 23 year old car those things are bound to wear eventually.

I agree with you, it could be a solid deal. Most of the problems come from the current owner not being forthcoming with all of the details.

I agree with you, it could be a solid deal. Most of the problems come from the current owner not being forthcoming with all of the details.

I agree completely. That's why I emailed the guy in the first place. If he was forthcoming with details and it's as described and passes a PPI without anything crazy I have 34k in cash and would be on the next plane to El Paso. Especially for such low mileage. The damage to the seat doesn't worry me at all. I probably wouldn't even get it fixed. I want to drive the car not look at it. The fact that the owner is so flippant about the situation and seems oblivious to the idea that someone might want an inspection on something they are going to spend 35k on is absurd and unforgivable.

Looks like a good deal to me - less than 100k miles, silver, and in mostly original condition.
Guy appears to be a performance shop owner, instead of a traditional used car seller. maybe he's been fielding a lot of questions and thats why he is indifferent...?
I would negotiate a PPI with the intent to buy - if it doesnt pass the PPI like he is describing, then he pays for half (or all of it) of the PPI and you guys negotiate a new price or walk away. If PPI passes with flying colors, then you are responsible for the PPI and you've got a NSX!

If this is the same car from some time ago, it was in an accident, where the front right fender was destroyed, driver seat shot, clearcoat peeling on the roof. I talked to the seller, who told me that it needed a timing belt/water pump service done and that after fixing these items, he would list it for for around $33k. So, if this is the same car.....avoid it.

I would be very careful about the seller and his 'shop'. I am almost positive I talked to him last year. He said the timing belt was original and didn't need to be changed until 90k miles. He thought having a 25 year old timing belt is fine...and he works (owns?) a 'performance' shop

Back