• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will I Buy the New NSX

I have owned a 91 NSX for 20 years and drive it every day 5 miles to work and 5 miles back; love it. I was really looking forward to the new NSX but the reports are not as good as I hoped. But it can be driven every day. So do you buy a 911 Carrera S for $50K less to tool around town in or do you do something a little more agressive like buy the new McClaren 570S which has been getting good reviews for $25K more (guessing on pricing obviously); looks like a fun car to drive but can you use it every day and will it hold together.

Frankly, I'm hoping the reviewers are much better drivers than I am and the limits they were looking for will never be approached by me; and the new NSX will suit my fancy.

Guess as the man said: you gotta go drive it.

Drew

Guess as the man said: you gotta go drive it.

This.

The thing that I am getting from the reviews is that the car has a different feel than other vehicles and that is being amazingly understated. In a crowded market of exotic sportcars in the $150-200k range, having something that sets you apart and makes you distinct is a worthy accomplishment.

The thing that I am getting from the reviews is that the car has a different feel than other vehicles and that is being amazingly understated. In a crowded market of exotic sportcars in the $150-200k range, having something that sets you apart and makes you distinct is a worthy accomplishment.

Agreed. Also, criticisms seem similar to those tossed at the original NSX. Not enough character/passion/charisma. It's too good at being fast and linear/progressive, non-scary, not harsh/noisy, comfortable, etc at the same time. Sounds great!!!

Just listen to the guys in this video. Amazing car for Acura, can't find anything to hate, gearshifts are perfect, tech is seamless, just not the raw/rough experience they want...daily-drivable supercar is oxymoron, etc...

https://youtu.be/uy8F1Nh83_E

Last edited:
I personally love the new GT4. Manual transmission and almost 1/2 the price. It might not be fancy but it's a drivers car

Seems like Acura is going after the exotic daily driver market, similar to the Porsche 911 Turbo S, Audi R8 and possibly the 570S. This is an exclusive club, where the buyer can afford to pay big money and then pack some miles on the car. This is completely different than the 458/488, Huracan, 650 market is all about. Very few of those cars are daily driven. High mileage kills the residual value and most are just driven a couple thousand miles a year.
If I could afford to spend this much on a car for my DD I would definitely take the NSX over the 911 turbo S and possibly over the R8 and the 570S. If you drive them all one will surely impress over the others and pricing is pretty close.
Overall I think Acura has nailed this nichemarket. If you are daily driving your car, you want a trunk, you don't want anexhaust note that wears you down as the miles roll on, you don't want to feel allthe road irregularities. You want to have an exotic, super fast, smooth ridingsuper car. That's what the new NSX embodies

Last edited:
This.

Well put, I was thinking the same thing! I'm happy to read of some uniqueness that was covered well in the MT article.

Ironically, the Gen 1 is "plagued" with "yeah but..." critiques of "having no personality" and "not enough performance" etc, yet we love our cars more than any other. I can't help but think that if the Gen 2 had a universally more attractive beakless look that most of us immediately made to be our computer screen savers, then there'd be a heck of a lot less negative chatter. That's theoretically fixable!

Not fixable though is: I also can't help but think that if the car appeared out of nowhere like the new Ford GT and everyone didn't go through years/months of conjecture, imagination, anticipation and build up of expectations, then everyone 'round these parts would be nutty happy giggly crazy over the Gen 2. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Are Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno members of NSXPrime? Why aren't they answering this thread? Who really will get one first, lol?

From what I remember, people or magazines were never really in awe with NSX 1.0. People always saying why get the NSX for the price when you have all these other "better" options? Now they are saying the same thing today with NSX 2.0. If these cars were so great from the factory no one would add exhausts, wheels, brakes..etc, but they do.

The people who actually puts up their money and buys an NSX don't care what others or magazines have to say. They just love the car for what it is, not what it can beat. I like the old and new NSX regardless of what else is out there for the money.

Last edited:
From what I remember, people or magazines were never really in awe with NSX 1.0. People always saying why get the NSX for the price when you have all these other "better" options? Now they are saying the same thing today with NSX 2.0. If these cars were so great from the factory no one would add exhausts, wheels, brakes..etc, but they do.

The people who actually puts up their money and buys an NSX don't care what others or magazines have to say. They just love the car for what it is, not what it can beat. I like the old and new NSX regardless of what else is out there for the money.

The is the ultimate truth. It's fun talking about it with people, but one should make their choice based on their own conclusions.

From what I remember, people or magazines were never really in awe with NSX 1.0. People always saying why get the NSX for the price when you have all these other "better" options? Now they are saying the same thing today with NSX 2.0. If these cars were so great from the factory no one would add exhausts, wheels, brakes..etc, but they do..

Totally true. I recall seeing a Top Gear clip from the early 1990's where Jeremy Clarkson drives the NSX and declares it to be boring, unexciting, etc. In another early early video a different Top Gear reviewer says the NSX has poor steering feedback because the steering is "too heavy!" He then concludes by saying the car is "disappointing".

Ironically, the Gen 1 is "plagued" with "yeah but..." critiques of "having no personality" and "not enough performance" etc, yet we love our cars more than any other. I can't help but think that if the Gen 2 had a universally more attractive beakless look that most of us immediately made to be our computer screen savers, then there'd be a heck of a lot less negative chatter. That's theoretically fixable!

Great Point as usual Yinzer.

It just comes down to that front which is cool but not awesome and that short rear overhang. The new NSX is like this beautiful girl with beautiful eyes and a great figure (think Alexandra Dadario or Francoise Boufhal) but instead with a slightly oversized-nose and a flat butt. Still hot. Still gets the juices flowing, but just not screen saver material.

Frustrating because the design between the wheels is really excellent, IMO.

Last edited:
lol .......ok face .....flat ass...........superficial cads we are.......

My takeaways thus far:

* It has a much more distinct duality about it than most "supercars". It can drive like a supercar in track mode pending it has good tires. It can drive like an Accord with dull steering in electric mode because, let's all face it... we all appreciate a boring but comfortable daily driver sometimes. At NSXPO, Ted compared it to a 918 for a brief moment.

* It still weights 3800 lbs. Can't fight physics.

* It needs a better aftermarket valvetronic exhaust to make the dual nature come more alive

* I would hold out for the Type R and might pick up a 12C to hold me over for 2-3yrs while they figure out how they think a Type R should be. No one knows what a proper hybrid Type R should look like.

Also agree with everyone in that I feel this car is understated just like the original was. The "fine wine" comparison is probably most accurate with this NSX once again.

Just wait till wireless proximity recharging reaches cars like is here now for cell phones.

Goodbye 1,000 lbs, hello chaser support vehicle drafting and hugging your rear bumper (or flyng drone), supplying no-pit-stop go power.

Just wait till wireless proximity recharging reaches cars like is here now for cell phones.

Goodbye 1,000 lbs, hello chaser support vehicle drafting and hugging your rear bumper (or flyng drone), supplying no-pit-stop go power.

Lol

Interestingly enough, my new Nexus phone no longer supports wireless charging. The old version use to.

I do wonder how long it is before there are inductive loop motorway charging lanes for electric vehicles.

i have filed a patent on it for someone.

good luck with your hybrid batteries after 25 years though

If the NSX were a pure EV then I'd fully agree with you that the battery is a ticking time bomb. However the NSX's battery capacity is tiny. It's likely closer to the capacity of a Prius battery than that of a Tesla or Leaf battery. A new Prius hybrid battery is only $2500. With the falling price of battery cells it's likely that the cost of a replacement battery in 10 years will be about the same as installing a new clutch on an NSX today.

good luck with your hybrid batteries after 25 years though

Think about where battery tech was 25 years ago. Speculate about where battery tech will be 25 years from now. Being able to easily replace batteries could very well be a good thing. More power, less weight, less heat, more reliability, more capacity, lower cost.

Back