• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Broke eBrake Button

My eBrake button wouldn't return after being pushed in. So I tried removing the button to inspect the spring. Unfortunately, it looks like my ebrake button was glued on and I broke the ebrake button off the rod it was attached to.

Is this rod inside the ebrake handle replaceable or is my only option to buy the entire handle assembly? Like if I found a used ebrake could I take the rod out and put it into my ebrake handle? Also the spring inside the button seemed fine. Is it more likely I need to replace spring #10 from the diagram?

NUphB9P.gif

alKgwlE.jpg

My eBrake button wouldn't return after being pushed in. So I tried removing the button to inspect the spring. Unfortunately, it looks like my ebrake button was glued on and I broke the ebrake button off the rod it was attached to.

Is this rod inside the ebrake handle replaceable or is my only option to buy the entire handle assembly? Like if I found a used ebrake could I take the rod out and put it into my ebrake handle? Also the spring inside the button seemed fine. Is it more likely I need to replace spring #10 from the diagram?

attachment.php

attachment.php
Number 10 in the diagram is the spring for the brake cables. I doubt you need that.
I have parts to an Oem brake lever minus the leather cover and release button. You should be able to just buy the replacement release button from science of speed as it just screws into place. If the damage is more then that, PM me as I have a whole assembly lying around which I beleive is discontinued from Acura.

Unfortunately, just the release button won't fix it because the button broke off the threaded part of the rod when I removed it.

Unfortunately, just the release button won't fix it because the button broke off the threaded part of the rod when I removed it.
I have the whole assembly, minus the leather and with the flaking chrome Oem release button. Let me know if ya need it.
attachment.php

Does anyone know how to remove this bolt in an un-destructive way?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Does anyone know how to remove this bolt in an un-destructive way?
I'm not so sure you can get that off. It's almost like a rivet. You may just have to pull your leather cover off your current broken lever unless you already have? Did you get it fixed?

I had Shawn replace the entire assembly since the chrome on the button was peeling off. I think I have it at home or Shawn has it. I will check. If you want it, it's yours.
Eric PM me with your phone number and we can connect.

The problem I'm having is the rubber boot is attached to that bolt, but I guess I could make a cut just small enough to get the boot off.

- - - Updated - - -

I had Shawn replace the entire assembly since the chrome on the button was peeling off. I think I have it at home or Shawn has it. I will check. If you want it, it's yours.
Eric PM me with your phone number and we can connect.

Thank you for the generous offer, I think I have all parts I need though.

Last edited:
I got a replacement ebrake button, apparently it's different from my original and the thread size seems too small. The button won't screw on. I may have to get an SOS button.

image.jpg

I bought an SoS parking brake button and it was hard to screw onto my 1991's parking brake rod. By hand I could only get it on a few turns but using Kevlar gloves to protect the button and vice grip pliers, I was able to screw the button down all the way. The SoS buttons (see here) are shaped just like the OEM 1991-2001 parking brake buttons.

Looking at the picture you posted above, I see you bought an OEM 2002-2005 parking brake button. From 1991-1994 NSXs came with chrome-plated plastic parking brake buttons (p/n 47142-671-010). From 1995-2001 they came with black plastic parking brake buttons (p/n 47142-659-310). It's interesting to see that the 2002-2005 buttons (p/n 47142-SL0-013) are shaped differently than the earlier ones.

What material is that 2002-2005 button made of? A gunmetal-colored brushed metal? Did it come with that black collar that's pictured next to it? 2002-2005 NSXs have different part numbers for the parking brake levers themselves so maybe the later buttons are not compatible with earlier levers. Or maybe the 2002-2005 buttons are just hard to screw down, like the SoS buttons.

Yeah the darker colored button was my original 2002. The lighter button I ordered as a replacement. Both are metal and the new button I ordered came with that black nylon sleeve.
image.jpg

For an SoS parking brake button to fit into your parking brake lever, the threads should match and the outer diameter of the button shouldn't be too big. My SoS button has an outer diameter of 14.5 mm. My OEM chrome button has a diameter of 14.6 mm and my OEM black button has an outer diameter of 14.25 mm. (note: perhaps because it's plastic, the black button doesn't rattle against the metal sleeve in my parking brake lever despite the slight amount of play)

What's the outer diameter of the black nylon sleeve that goes around your new 2002 parking brake button? Is it the same as the SoS button? I've got to guess the purpose of that sleeve is to prevent metal to metal contact and therefore rattling.

The OD of the black sleeve is about 15mm. I found that the screw size is probably a T5, but yeah its a pain to screw on. It will go in for about 3 turns and then become super hard.

Strangely my SOS ebrake button screwed right on easily. I think you found the culprit of why your original was damaged then glued together.

I just checked my OEM 1991-2001 and SoS parking brake buttons and I can get a metric M5 bolt to screw into all of them a few turns before the resistance goes up. Maybe the thread pitch or something changes so that the buttons are self-locking without the use of Loctite.

If you can get an M5 bolt to screw a few turns into your 2002-2005 parking brake button before the resistance goes up, then your button most likely has the same threads as an SoS or OEM 1991-2001 button.

It was harder for me to get the metal SoS button onto the threaded rod in my parking brake lever than it was the plastic 1991-2001 OEM buttons. If that's because plastic threads are easier to deform than metal theads, I'd expect that it's just as hard to screw down an SoS button as an OEM 2002-2005 button.

If you install a metal parking brake button, it may be a good idea to lube the threads a bit to make sure you never get contact corrosion. But if you screw it on and off enough, the threads might get busted out enough that you can screw it in all the way without the use of tools. :smile:

Back