• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What Suspension Upgrades To Do?

What are your opinions on the Pros/Cons of these various suspension upgrade options? What should I get? If you have any of these, what are your experiences on driving changes and installation?

They are from SOS:
- Reinforement Bars
- Shock Tower Bar
- Anti Sway Bar
- Bushing Kit

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Thanks!
-Jeff

Attachments

• Bushing Kit.png
    Bushing Kit.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,046
  • Anti Sway Bars.png
    Anti Sway Bars.png
    65 KB · Views: 2,037
  • Shock Tower Bars.png
    Shock Tower Bars.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,052
  • Reinforcement Bars.jpg
    Reinforcement Bars.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,067
Last edited:
This heavily depends on your driving style, and off-course how you use your NSX

For a street NSX that is used for spirited driving in the weekends but not really a track day machine we generally advise/sell/install :

NSX-R Front bar
NSX-S rear bar
NSX-R front brace kit

That's it, if you wish to lower the car as well,
Koni & H&R or NSX Type-S suspension

Let's call that Stage 1

That gives a very well balanced natural feeling car with out sacrificing comfort.

IF your looking to really lower the car and go further in how the shock react.
KW V3 Coilovers are a very nice upgrade.
Carbring rear strut brace (one-piece solid aluminum instead of the 3 piece thin stamped OEM)

This could be called a second stage

If then isn't enough your really starting to look in to Track style upgrades.
We'd then look in to CTE sway bars, perhaps different spring rates on the coilovers OR if budget allows it a more advanced coilover (KW CUP, or JRZ)
Front strutbrace.

And let's not forget the most important component, Proper Tires that are properly sized.
Here in the shop for NSX's running 17/18 setups I generally recommend 215/40/17 and 255/35/18 (perhaps 265 depending on the wheel)
I personally like to use Bridgestone Potenza, do have good experiences with Michelin Pilot Sport and Pirelli P-Zero, the latter we normally use on the Italian exotics we work on here.

Last edited:
- Reinforement Bars - Didn't notice massive difference from stock with these (on the street), *seemed* to make my non PAS steering feel lighter so must have reduced body flex - not big bucks.

- Shock Tower Bar - Front - noticed a much bigger difference with this installed on tight corners, even on the street - not big bucks.

- Anti Sway Bar - Much sharper turn in and less body roll - will firm the ride up a little - not big bucks.

- Bushing Kit - on my shelf to install - need to be used with the toe links - should give much more positive rear end feel - more costly install, factor in getting your geometry aligned afterwards.

My advice would be to go for the swaybars first and then maybe the tower brace. Especially if just a street car?

- Reinforement Bars - Didn't notice massive difference from stock with these (on the street), *seemed* to make my non PAS steering feel lighter so must have reduced body flex - not big bucks.

- Shock Tower Bar - Front - noticed a much bigger difference with this installed on tight corners, even on the street - not big bucks.

- Anti Sway Bar - Much sharper turn in and less body roll - will firm the ride up a little - not big bucks.

- Bushing Kit - on my shelf to install - need to be used with the toe links - should give much more positive rear end feel - more costly install, factor in getting your geometry aligned afterwards.

My advice would be to go for the swaybars first and then maybe the tower brace. Especially if just a street car?
Agreed, the sway bars really make the car sharper, as for solid mount bushes I wouldn't do it unless a car has play or is being tracked IMHO.

Thanks for the great replies!

I don't intend to track much and will be doing mostly spirited driving. I already have it lowered on TEIN coilovers. They are much nicer than the old shocks and aftermarket springs that were on it when I purchased the car. I'm still getting a feel for the car and doing research and looking to "collect" some parts over the winter for a spring install.

My view is that if you are going to consider NSX-R parts for the car, then you should stick with the full NSX-R suspension setup. All of those parts- the braces, sways, shocks and springs were tuned and tested by Honda to work together as a system. Using them as one-offs might help, but you're not going to get the full effect. The chassis braces on the coupes really don't add much, since the body is so rigid to begin with. On a T, it will make a huge difference in reducing cowl shake and improving responsiveness.

I think for the money, as set of KW coilovers and the Comptech sways are a heck of a value proposition. This setup will give you a NSX that is comfortable on the street and also that can turn fast laps at the track.

The rear beam kit (which, btw NSXGB is right- you must use the toe links too) is really a track mod. The solid links and bushings totally eliminate that vauge, floaty feeling when cornering- it gives you a lont more confidence to carry more speed through the corners.

Is your car a Targa? If so, I highly recommend the NSX-R front Reinforement Bars (one in front of the radiator and one at the bottom). They helped the front end compliance a whole lot. Definitely a must do on a Targa. If your car is a coupe, I don't expect them to help nearly as much, but they'll help some. I would put those lower on the priority list if you have a coupe.

For me, I upgraded to the NSX-R front sway, left the rear sway alone (its the original 1995).
I also have the STMPO rear strut tower bar and it also made a huge difference in rear body rigidity and also added a tad bit of mid corner oversteer. The STMPO rear strut tower bar is a must do on Targas IMHO.

For suspension I originally had the Bilstein Struts on upper perch with Eibach springs which was a great setup for a casual HPDE and daily driving. Just recently switched to KWv3s and it's a whole lot better. I would highly recommend the KWv3s if they're in your budget.

I'm thinking of doing some upgrades myself soon. I have Bilstein shocks o low perch with stock springs. The ride is great but want to see if I can improve handling without sacrificing comfort. I don't track, and my car is targa. What upgrades do you guys recommend - sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread��

There is only one answer. KW v3. It gets repeated here all the time. I have cheap coilovers and handling is pretty good but ride is not like the KWs.

There is only one answer. KW v3. It gets repeated here all the time. I have cheap coilovers and handling is pretty good but ride is not like the KWs.
Well not necessarily, a stock suspension car with all the swaybar and chassis is a very nice driving NSX and very stable yet comfortable.
Even if you where to drive that back to back with a KW V3 car you'd be impressed.

Especially with the NSX a balanced complete package is the key.

Last edited:
I try not to plug manufacturers anymore but my god, after finally setting up the JRZs and going thru multiple spring, sway bar, damping combos, they have been phenomenal. I'm only 85% there. I'll be fine tuning this for the next few years. It's like crack cocaine. I simply want more!

Someone invent a EDFC solution for the JRZ please. Tein's new active EDFC is impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

I have KW V2s in a E46 M3 cabriolet I'm considering of buying. The car is low and riding on skinny 19" tires. The ride is horrible so it might be riding on bumpstops.

The ride was the same on the BRZ I owned. KWs were mediocre on that car too. My buddies in the S2000 community also feel the same way but they also have a broader set of choices for their platform.

Billy helped tuned the KWs for the NSX I believe? They are pretty good on the NSX but I've only spent time in KW equipped NSXs as a passenger. I would definitely give the KWs on the NSX the benefit of the doubt, but my experience with then on other cars is that they are simply mediocre.

I knew about the tower braces, sway bars and bushings, but had no idea about these chassis reinforcement bars until I read this thread. Thanks for bringing this up. Placed an order and will be installing them on my targa over the holidays.

I'm thinking of doing some upgrades myself soon. I have Bilstein shocks o low perch with stock springs. The ride is great but want to see if I can improve handling without sacrificing comfort. I don't track, and my car is targa. What upgrades do you guys recommend - sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread��

I have your exact suspension setup and goals. After the chassis reinforcement, I will probably try and do the STMPO or the CT tower brace. I haven't done a CTSC like you yet so don't have the benefit of a new tower brace yet. Then I will probably do NSX-R front sway and leave the rear sway stock.

Being relatively new to modifying my car, I definitely think small changes one at a time will let you dial your car in. So I am starting at the most basic and working my way up.

I saw this brace on Advance website and like the idea! This is something different and out of the box from what is offered to stiffen the NSX chassis!

Advance_Damper_zpsusu8rjs8.jpg

There is very good information on the NSXCBUK about this type of brace/damper here and here

This type of body dampers are patented by yamaha and are offered as OEM equipment on some of the new Lexus models and also are offered as aftermarket upgrading parts by Nismo, TRD and COX

some pictures:

Nismo R34

img_sochaku01.jpg

img_sochaku02.jpg

TRD (Lexus IS F):

isf_damper.jpg

COX (available for CRZ):

bd_assy.jpg

Has anyone here ever installed this, or have additional information on this (even if not from NSX)?

Anyone fluent in japanese that could contact Advance in Japan and ask for more information/ pictures of it installed on the car?

From the picture i would suspect it attaches to the same points as the upper type R brace bar... but this would be only my guess...

I would like to know if the damper is specifically produced for the NSX (is the damper valved for the NSX body resonance?)

Lexus is using a combination of front and rear body dampers... so not sure if using only one would be the best solution...

Thoughts / Ideas / Expirience (even if from other car models) would be nice!

Last edited:
This heavily depends on your driving style, and off-course how you use your NSX

For a street NSX that is used for spirited driving in the weekends but not really a track day machine we generally advise/sell/install :

NSX-R Front bar
NSX-S rear bar
NSX-R front brace kit

That's it, if you wish to lower the car as well,
Koni & H&R or NSX Type-S suspension

Let's call that Stage 1

That gives a very well balanced natural feeling car with out sacrificing comfort.

IF your looking to really lower the car and go further in how the shock react.
KW V3 Coilovers are a very nice upgrade.
Carbring rear strut brace (one-piece solid aluminum instead of the 3 piece thin stamped OEM)

This could be called a second stage

If then isn't enough your really starting to look in to Track style upgrades.
We'd then look in to CTE sway bars, perhaps different spring rates on the coilovers OR if budget allows it a more advanced coilover (KW CUP, or JRZ)
Front strutbrace.

And let's not forget the most important component, Proper Tires that are properly sized.
Here in the shop for NSX's running 17/18 setups I generally recommend 215/40/17 and 255/35/18 (perhaps 265 depending on the wheel)
I personally like to use Bridgestone Potenza, do have good experiences with Michelin Pilot Sport and Pirelli P-Zero, the latter we normally use on the Italian exotics we work on here.

Do they even make or sell Type S suspension anymore?

Do they even make or sell Type S suspension anymore?
Well we might be able to get them if the restart making them later in 2016
As we bought all the remaining sets then all the lose springs and shocks.

I also had a mint set that was only test driven, but sold that last December.

I try not to plug manufacturers anymore but my god, after finally setting up the JRZs and going thru multiple spring, sway bar, damping combos, they have been phenomenal. I'm only 85% there. I'll be fine tuning this for the next few years. It's like crack cocaine. I simply want more!

Someone invent a EDFC solution for the JRZ please. Tein's new active EDFC is impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

I have KW V2s in a E46 M3 cabriolet I'm considering of buying. The car is low and riding on skinny 19" tires. The ride is horrible so it might be riding on bumpstops.

The ride was the same on the BRZ I owned. KWs were mediocre on that car too. My buddies in the S2000 community also feel the same way but they also have a broader set of choices for their platform.

Billy helped tuned the KWs for the NSX I believe? They are pretty good on the NSX but I've only spent time in KW equipped NSXs as a passenger. I would definitely give the KWs on the NSX the benefit of the doubt, but my experience with then on other cars is that they are simply mediocre.
I wasn't involved with the damping of the KWs for the NSX.

Riding on bumpstops will make any car ride horribly, because you're not on the spring and the damper isn't doing its job when you slam against the hard rubber bump stop. The BRZ is a cheaply made car with struts front and rear. No matter what you do, it seems like people struggle to improve the ride quality of the car even after changing the suspension geometry, control arm links, etc... So I wouldn't draw any conclusion in damper ride quality when reviewed on a FRS/BRZ. JRZ makes great dampers too.

Back