• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

American moving to Australia to get married...

American moving to Australia to get married... bringing my NSX with me.

I am an American citizen in the process of moving from Oklahoma, USA to Victoria, Australia to get married. I have owned my 1993 NSX for 4 years and I'm going to bring it with me.

I have been informed that since it is my personal vehicle (back in the U.S.) that I am allowed to import it tax free along with all my personal goods. Does anyone know if that statement is correct?

Do I need to do anything specific to make the NSX more compliant to make sure it is roadworthy before it lands in the country?

Yes, it is LHD. However, I have been informed that is not an issue. Please advise if you know otherwise. I do have the mechanical aptitude to convert my NSX from LHD to RHD, but I would much prefer to keep it as a LHD. I have no concerns whatsoever about long-term resale value.

I will be living in the Gippsland area.

Thanks in advance for all advice

Last edited:
Hi and Congratulations on the move to Australia,
I had a quick look on the web and VIC Roads is the Govn Authority you need to deal with. It can be done and I believe its Tax free but there are a few issues-

From- https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/new-registration/register-an-imported-vehicle

Any vehicle being imported into Australia will require Vehicle Import Approval. All imported light vehicles less than 30 years old and all imported heavy vehicles must be in right hand drive configuration before they can be registered.

So if you bring it in and wait 3 years you are OK, this would be worth doing as NSX are very rare and a fair bit more money than in the USA. I would think a LHD to RHD conversion is way to complicated, the whole car forward of the front firewall is very different. I know it has been done but with difficulty.

A way around it may be -

Club permits
Left hand drive vehicles more than 25 years old may be issued with a permit authorised by an approved motoring club, under the club permit scheme.

from- Left Hand Drive Vehicles & Vehicles Converted to Right Hand Drive https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...0D-k-WTcWiRmalefDMeHDA&bvm=bv.107406026,d.dGo

and- Imported Vehicles Conditions for Registration in Victoria

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...qTfVGtp70cEU_Wwoh1ksZA&bvm=bv.107406026,d.dGo

We have a National club with a chapter in VIC which caters for NSX and any Honda over 8,000rpm. Its the Honda Sports Car Club of Australia and has great runs etc. 12 of us just returned from NSX Fiesta in Japan for the 25th Anniversary, brilliant trip!

I can help you with membership etc.

So happy reading of the Govn Regs and it would sure be great to see a LHD Acura out here.

Cheers, Scott

Hi and welcome to Victoria Australia.
I live in outer Melbourne and an very familiar with the Gippsland area.
I trust we can meet up and exchange things NSX related.
You can pm me if you want further details.

best Regards,

IAN94

[MENTION=22229]NSX9[/MENTION] Thank you so much for all that info, Scott. I will pursue the club membership path first. I will reach out to you prior to shipping my NSX. I am presently learning about the shipping container process.

Thanks again, James

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=10956]whrdnsx[/MENTION] thanks so much for your willingness to help me if I am required to convert from LHD to RHD. Truly appreciate the link you sent. Awesome documentation!

Regards, James

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=27279]IAN94[/MENTION]. Thanks for the warm greeting. I would really enjoy connecting up with you in 2016 and any NSX enthusiasts. I have been living in two areas of Victoria this past year. In Locksley and in Toora. When I get married we plan to move to the Mirboo North area.

I look forward to meeting up! James

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I'm from Hong Kong and in a similar position, my whole family will be moving to Australia by the summer or the latest year end of 2016, most likely we will be staying in Melbourne.

Mine is a 94AT ACURA RHD and planning to convert it to MT in future. I have been owning it since 2010 purchased from the original owner.

Will have a short trip there in Feb for a couple of weeks, and still studying about the documents and
procedures required from the links listed above.

Hope seeing you guys soon

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, Great choice moving to Melbourne, when the time comes closer we can make contact.
I belong to the Honda Sports Car Club of Australia and we will make you more than welcome.
Cheers for now,

IAN94

Hi Guys,

I'm from Hong Kong and in a similar position, my whole family will be moving to Australia by the summer or the latest year end of 2016, most likely we will be staying in Melbourne.

Mine is a 94AT ACURA RHD and planning to convert it to MT in future. I have been owning it since 2010 purchased from the original

Will have a short trip there in Feb for a couple of weeks, and still studying about the documents and
procedures required from the links listed above.

Hope seeing you guys soon

Regards

Alan

I can help with that too.

thanks for your reply,

HI IAN94, definitely need your intro to the club when Im there...

Hi Whrdnsx, email sent for info request...

Hi NSX9, are you from adeliade?

I'll be visiting australia with my family in Feb in order to activate the visa, will make a rush trip and staying in adeliade and melbourne, see if I can meet you guys there

Regards

Alan

Last edited:
[MENTION=24041]4811[/MENTION]

Hello Alan,

James here, original poster to this thread. I would be happy to help you make the swap from Auto to Manaul Transmission. If you decide to do that conversion, please let me know. I owned an Auto NSX for 10 years and had looked at doing that conversion for many years. I will be ready to help do any and all of that conversion, if you need it. Just note this thread and look me up. I won't be too far from Melbourne myself.

I hope you make the big move to Melbourne. It's a great city! I've been to Hong Kong a couple times too ;) Glad to see your sights are on Australia, it's an awesome country!

Regards,
James

Hi James,

How is it going on your move, have you already applied for the import approval?

Also a question to you guys there, wondering whats the colour of the rear indicator came with the Australia delivered nsxs, red or amber? Did it came in as Acura or Honda? The reason I'm asking is my concern about my Acura which came with red one and do I need to convert it in order to make it comply to the the ADR?

Cheers

Alan

Last edited:
Back