• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ideas for next car?

Thinking of some new wheels in the spring to replace the M3. Wondering if there is another option I haven't thought of.

Requirements:
$40K max
Convertible (absolutely mandatory)
back seats large enough to hold one small 9 yo girl. My son sits in the front, for the whole family we just take the SUV.
A substantial step up in performance from my E46 M3 vert with 6MT.
Preferably an MT, unless it has an amazing DCT
Will be a DD, and driven in winter
Commute is about 1000 miles a month (for those following my commute thread, I moved offices, still stop/go traffic but not nearly as bad as it was)

Candidates:
2008 E64 M6 - V10 GAS HOG but pretty awesome other than that, much nicer interior and features
2004 996TT cabriolet - AWD for the winter! At this price point, X50 option is probably out.

Thinking of some new wheels in the spring to replace the M3. Wondering if there is another option I haven't thought of.

Requirements:
$40K max
Convertible (absolutely mandatory)
back seats large enough to hold one small 9 yo girl. My son sits in the front, for the whole family we just take the SUV.
A substantial step up in performance from my E46 M3 vert with 6MT.
Preferably an MT, unless it has an amazing DCT
Will be a DD, and driven in winter
Commute is about 1000 miles a month (for those following my commute thread, I moved offices, still stop/go traffic but not nearly as bad as it was)

Candidates:
2008 E64 M6 - V10 GAS HOG but pretty awesome other than that, much nicer interior and features
2004 996TT cabriolet - AWD for the winter! At this price point, X50 option is probably out.

996 Turbo, although not sure on the current market or on cabs but $40k seems light. Car is simply amazing and like an NSX, a really really fun car.

+1. I'd pick the P-car over the M6. M6 is nice but seems boring to me. If I'm going to own/drive a DD gas hog, it won't be boring.

Well if you are thinking outside of the obvious choices...maybe can't out track above, but have redeeming qualities...

Audi RS4 manual supercharged V8 cabriolet
BMW 1-series manual convertible (small cars can be a blast to throw around)
Mini S convertible (same as above)
Aston Martin DB7 convertible
Maserati GranTurismo convertible (maybe in a year or two for high mileage example, but damn that awesome exhaust note)

newer camaro...

Wow, I've never seen a cabriolet RS4. That should look very good.
Well if you are thinking outside of the obvious choices...maybe can't out track above, but have redeeming qualities...

Audi RS4 manual supercharged V8 cabriolet
BMW 1-series manual convertible (small cars can be a blast to throw around)
Mini S convertible (same as above)
Aston Martin DB7 convertible
Maserati GranTurismo convertible (maybe in a year or two for high mileage example, but damn that awesome exhaust note)

A Camaro? Vs an m6 or 996tt? Is this for real? Does Mercedes have anything that's in this league?

For all the $ saved you could easily add upgrades and hang with or best the cars you mentioned. Now, if you want to wrap yourself in a luxury brand then that obviously changes things.

You should consider the E350 and E550 but those won't best an M car but maybe you want something different.

Personally, I would pick up the Audi RS4. It checks the following boxes:
Rare only 300 made during one year for USA market.
4.2L V8 naturally aspirated good for 420hp and an 8000 rpm redline
6 speed manual
Quarto drive with 40/60 split, perfect for winter
Convertible
Came fully loaded already with all options checked

imagejpeg

Damn, in fact everyone forget the above, nothing to see here. I need to go check autotrader.

I had no idea they made a vert rs4. Never seen one but that's a good alternative! Looking at them now :).

Yea, most people don't even know we have them in the States, Audi kept them in Europe only and we finally got them for one glorious year. The new RS5 is awesome but no manual. Sigh the good days are over, hence the need to step back to previous model plus that sweet depreciation. The car is hard not to like. Just going to leave this beautiful example right here. Its calling to you... :biggrin:

Just be careful with the v8 in the audi. Look up carbon build up on any audi forum. My buddy has a shop in rockland co NY that has been working on Audi/Porsche for the last 25 years. He says every 10k he has to pull the heads off and clean the carbon, no matter how hard he drives it (RS4 sedan).
I would vote for the 996.

I'm on my second RS4, and out of the 40+ cars I've had in my life it is hands down my favorite. The carbon build up issue is overblown; it's present but not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. Every 20,000 miles or so is the going average among forum participants. That's been my experience as an owner of two of them. You can reflash the ECU and get amazing reliable power gains. Mine has gone a bit further than that and I still haven't had anything major. Same motor that went into the V8 R8. An 8k redline with this motor is pure nirvana. There are few convertibles out there to be had as only 333 were imported. This one is posted on the Audizine forum with a link to a craigslist ad.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5304523223.html

All the best in your search - I think you know my vote. I don't think there is a better year-round option in that price range.

20,000 isn't much for a daily driver. What's the cost on dealing with that problem?

Update: after reading through this thread here:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Manifold-Carbon-Build-Up-amp-Clean-Up/page15

My brief love affair with the RS4 has come to an end :)

There is no car in this category. NO ONE makes a convertible with useable rear seats! Anyone who says otherwise is either short, young, or is ok with having their knees mashed Into the dash board while their kid is squished in the back seat. It irritates the hell out of me that there is no powerful convertible car that four people can sit in comfortable. Even two adults and two kids for that matter. I heard that there is suppose to be an s class Amg two door convertible coming out soon.

Car manufacturers... Move the front seat all the way forward, measure the distance in the footwell between the front seat and rear seat. Now move the front seat all the way back until it touches the rear seat (this should be easy as every car you idiots make the front seat will slide back until it touches the rear seat) now remember that measurement between the front and rear seat? Add that much room back in to your design you damn fools!

It is pretty darn annoying which is why I have to find a compromise. Ie, a car that will seat 3. With my son in the front, my daughter can sit comfortably behind him in the m3. But all 4 of us means my daughter has zero legroom behind me. Also, the m3 vert has less rear leg space than the coupe. Also annoying.

You gotta start thinking outside the box a little Rob. You can probably find one cheap on fleabay.

Drop-Top-Chrysler-Dodge.jpg

20,000 isn't much for a daily driver. What's the cost on dealing with that problem?

Update: after reading through this thread here:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Manifold-Carbon-Build-Up-amp-Clean-Up/page15

My brief love affair with the RS4 has come to an end :)

The last post on that thread was 5 years ago. This build up was the main reason I was skeptical in purchasing an RS4, but I also consider it the best purchase of my automobile life, and the only car I've bought twice. For reference, the cars I've had to compare the driving and ownership experience include an NSX, Elise, S2K, 911 and Viper. I (of course personal preference) wouldn't trade this car for an equally priced example of any of the aforementioned. If a $700 problem every 20,000 miles is enough to scare you off, then I'd be interested to know how any Euro car is on your radar. I'd suggest driving one if you have the chance; you won't regret it. Again, all the best in your search. I'll step down now. ;)

$700 seems pretty low for the amount of work described in that thread. One individual that did the work himself estimated 40-50 hours labor to do it correctly. I'll do some further research and see if new cleaning methods have been developed

It is pretty darn annoying which is why I have to find a compromise. Ie, a car that will seat 3. With my son in the front, my daughter can sit comfortably behind him in the m3. But all 4 of us means my daughter has zero legroom behind me. Also, the m3 vert has less rear leg space than the coupe. Also annoying.

This we can all agree is the problem. What sporty convertible can you actually all fit in? How tall are you?

I am 6'1" and 215 lbs and I have no problems in the M6 vert and RS4. Both give adequate space for a kid behind the driver and even a short adult for short drives. Another factor is useable trunk space. You can scratch every Porsche vert from the list based on that alone. A daily driver that you want to bring people along and all their stuff is not a Porsche. The M6 and RS4 maintain actual useable truck space due to the rag top. The RS4 should also have a pass through and fold down rear seats. Not sure the M6 does because of that little retractable window in the rear. Also any hardtop options may be a no go if you care about trunk space.

Have you considered going the old school muscle car route? Plenty of big power big convertible options if you go that route. With some simple suspension upgrades you could get a good handling car with plenty of tire shredding power. You may end up in a ditch during the winter...but that's just small details.:biggrin: Just thought I would throw that curveball out there.

Good luck, this is a very interesting discussion...how to have your cake and eat it too!

I have a 2015 650IX convertible, and SteveNY is pretty much on target with his comments. Yes, I put a full sized adult woman, in the rear seat, with my wife moved half way up in the front passenger seat, for a 100 mile drive, and both were comfortable. If my wife was 6 feet tall, she would have had her knees in her mouth. If someone were to sit behind me (I'm 5'11") for a lengthy drive, we'd both be uncomfortable. The car is fantastic, but because of how sculpted the rear seats are, putting a kid seat, or booster seat back there would be difficult as well. I don't think that there's any more room in my backseat than the BMW 3/4 series convertibles have. Even with the X-drive, I plan on putting 4 snow tires on the car. I like to be "safe"!!! Good luck with the "hunt", I hope you find something that meets all of your parameters!!!

Why not a E93 M3? xD with $40k you can get a later model year one, V8 8300rpm 414hp NA RWD convertible. Depreciation will definitely be more than RS4 but the driving experience of the M3 is probably tad bit better. Also, no need to worry about the carbon buildup issue (to be honest though, many direct injection vehicles nowadays have that issue anyways though). Cheers!

I don't have a RS4, but I have a s4 and I can tell you maintenance on these cars are $$$$ - far worse than the NSX! IF you are worried about $700, wait till your A/C compressor goes out or brake rotors, or doing the timing chain comes around.

Love my s4 when it's up and running but once the mileage gets up there, the maintenance adds up fast. So far this year I have replaced everything from CV axles to rear calipers, master cylinder, window regulators, etc. I try to do most of it myself but even parts are expensive.

If you are looking for a low maintenance convertible to seat 4, I would seriously look at the newer Mustangs. Any German car and the word cheap really don't go together.

Back