• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Chris Harris on Cars: LaFerrari v Porsche 918 v McLaren P1 at Portimao

Epic indeed. Along with my original favorite automotive journalist Tiff Needell and buddy Marino Franchitti driving them... You have to watch every minute of it!

This is the most "Best Motoring-like" video I have ever seen that is not BM. Exactly the same type of content, complete with discussions, silliness, and clinical lap videos. Except of course the addition of modern video production sensibilities made possible by editing software, high frame rate slow motion, and better music. A BM-style underbody inspection and engineering analysis would also have been nice.

Last edited:
Awsome test and review

And this track is only 30 mins away from my mothers house in Portugal. :) Which is also near the final residence of Aryton Senna.

Chris harris has tested a few cars there coincidentally here are some of his other track times

Country Portugal
Algarve International Circuit (Portimao)
Track length 4.6 km / 2.9 miles

Vehicle ............................................. Driver............ Time........ ps / kg
1 McLaren P1...................................... Chris Harris.... 1:51.78... 916 / 1490
2 Porsche 918 Spyder.......................... Chris Harris.... 1:53.98... 887 / 1640
3 Ferrari LaFerrari .............................. Chris Harris.... 1:54.25... 963 / 1585
4 Ferrari 458 Speciale.......................... Chris Harris.... 1:58.20... 605 / 1395
5 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta........................ Chris Harris.... 1:59.00... 740 / 1725
6 Porsche 911 GT3 (991)..................... Chris Harris.... 2:03.02... 476 / 1425
7 Porsche Cayman GT4 (981) .............. Walter Rohrl.... 2:03.88... 385 / 1340
8 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S.............. Chris Harris..... 2:08.40... 573 / 1665
9 Renault Megane RS 275 Trophy R ..... Chris Harris..... 2:10.20... 279 / -
10 BMW M3 (F80) ............................... Chris Harris .... 2:10.70... 431 / 1520

Last edited:
I think Tiff is bipolar...:biggrin:

One of the best car-related videos I've ever seen. Simply awesome. It's too bad the Top Gear guys couldn't get it done before their show went off the rails. I can think of few better than Chris Harris to get the job done well, though.

One of the best car-related videos I've ever seen. Simply awesome. It's too bad the Top Gear guys couldn't get it done before their show went off the rails. I can think of few better than Chris Harris to get the job done well, though.

You read my mind. It's my understanding that there may be three episodes of Top Gear that never made it to air. I wonder if this comparison was one of them???

My son tells me that TG (or whatever they call it) will have the comparison as part of season 1 of their new show .. but I much prefer listening to Chris Harris to be honest. I always thought that Tiff was a pretty good driver but if you watch him, he sawing the steering wheel back and forth like he has no feel for what the front wheels are doing. I get it that when you're on the edge, you may need to do some corrections but Chris isn't anywhere near that erratic on the edge.
Previously comments are right on the make though .. excellent review; excellent video angles (drones too). Can't wait till he does a review of the NSX 2.0 against another hybrid like the 918.

That was fun. I got the feeling that they were actually really having fun, and that it wasn't an act.

My favorite moment is at around 37:25, where the P1 is sideways exiting the right-hander at what appears to be between 80 and 100 MPH, with the subsequent left-hander looming, and you can see that to get the car to stop rotating weight is transferred to the rear wheels ... with more throttle and a steering correction. Very cool!

Back