• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

whither the wiki?

I remember when the Prime wiki was truly a wiki in the sense of allowing and encouraging user contributions, but now every page I go to is locked for editing. I checked the history on a few pages and the most recent edits I saw were from 2012.

Was there a decision at some point to freeze the wiki?

Was there a decision at some point to freeze the wiki?
It wasn't really a 'decision to freeze it' as much as it was the result of Lud moving the site to some new software which supported it in read only mode but not in the form that was open and available to everyone to contribute. I think it did support having a small group of contributors but past history indicated that although it was popular with people and they used it a lot, the number of contributors could be counted on one hand and as a result, I think Lud chose to put his time into other site enhancements. Maybe he'll comment.

I remember when the wiki started up and Prime members were invited to participate in migrating articles from the FAQ to the wiki (and to contribute to the wiki in general). A number of people pitched in--it was a nice show of community spirit. The wiki pages created back then are still around, but in some cases they're hard to find. I'd like to be able to edit (or suggest an edit for) the directory pages in the wiki so that information remains accessible. And it would be nice to allow new pages to be created, e.g. for the second generation NSX.

It wasn't really a 'decision to freeze it' as much as it was the result of Lud moving the site to some new software which supported it in read only mode but not in the form that was open and available to everyone to contribute..

It looks like fairly standard wiki software. Information for each wiki page shows editing permissions, suggesting that the software supports editing. It just appears to be disabled for users.

I remember when the wiki started up and Prime members were invited to participate in migrating articles from the FAQ to the wiki (and to contribute to the wiki in general). A number of people pitched in--it was a nice show of community spirit. The wiki pages created back then are still around, but in some cases they're hard to find. I'd like to be able to edit (or suggest an edit for) the directory pages in the wiki so that information remains accessible. And it would be nice to allow new pages to be created, e.g. for the second generation NSX.
I agree .. and was actively involved at the time. It's my belief that all the information is still accessible although, as you say, it would be nice to be able to add new material and do updates

It looks like fairly standard wiki software. Information for each wiki page shows editing permissions, suggesting that the software supports editing. It just appears to be disabled for users.
Lud should be the one to comment .. but it's my understanding that originally, at the time of the move, the wiki software you're seeing now wasn't there but Lud added it later but locked it down. You have to understand that the site is something Lud maintains in his spare time and around the time of the move, he was changing software and also adding other new functions that he thought would provide add'l benefit both to the forums and also to the Wiki. For example, he was trying to use new features to make more of the current/emerging topics available in a wiki-like way instead of replying on volunteers to statically add new info. So for him, the Wiki wasn't a priority given that not many were contributing to it. Plus we had some malicious modifications by one individual so I think there was some thinking that it maybe needed some better security.

If he can creating a staging area and moderator would approve the content before it actually get load it live would mitigate the risk.

Back