• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the NSX's deadly rivals

There is logic to that reasoning but logic does not always lead to rational thinking.

If HONDA sets their target to sell 800 units/year and meeting that is a precondition to "success" irrespective of any other metric, then they should just set the goal as selling 200 units/year and pretty much ENSURE that the 2nd Gen is a blow out success!!:biggrin:

But in reality success for a car like the NSX is more than just selling an arbitrary number of cars.
Success for a halo car like the NSX is to meet and even exceed the expectations of its intended customers.
Success for the 2nd Gen will be when it is tested in it's final iteration and declared to be worth the wait and the weight and the cost and the complexity.

It will be a success when it is found that despite the various apparent negatives, the car is actually better for all those negatives; that the sum of its parts is indeed more and better than it's individual qualities and attributes.:wink:

I don't disagree at all. When I said success, I meant as far as sales/commercial success. Critical and performance success are yet to be seen. I could care less where the car sits with other's opinions. It's just bragging rights. How I feel when I drive the car is all I need to know.

Lets play drinking game ...every time Hothonda posts a picture of a Porsche ya gotta do a shot....:tongue:.......I'd have pancreatitis all ready :eek:

↑↑↑↑ Good one.....

Yes they'll start the trunk money soon...oops guess not - the 991 of them they're building sold out in ten minutes.

Porsche are masters of the option/special model.

↑↑↑↑ even the diehard owners are getting sick of the the less for more $$ game.

NSX photo.....Miled & me at Infineon/San Rafael NSXPO 2003

SteveMiled03_zps069d59e6.jpg~original

Last edited:
hey I was there,too..I wasn't rocking the wife beater though. Fantastic track btw,and weather.

looks like Porsche just trumped McLaren for the purest, funnest, lightest, most exhilarating sports car honours.

like them or not, they are building pure sports machines. driver's cars for driving enthusiasts...

Yeah and I just love that giant "Porsche" logo that spans the entire side of the 911R. It's pure 1970's nostalgic goodness. Can you imagine what people would be saying if the new NSX-R came with giant "Acura" text and lines spanning the entire side of the car? Everyone would be laughing at how lame it looks. But Porsche does this and it's seen as a nod to classic goodness. But when I look at it I cannot shake the feeling that I'm seeing a 70's inspired car and it's obvious VW bug heritage. Remove that racing stripe and nobody would even give this $185,000 car a second look on the street.

Plus outside of car collectors and Porsche fanboys what is the point of the 911R beyond clever Porsche marketing? It's supposedly better suited for the street since it has softer suspension than a GT3, yet it has no AC or radio which are attributes better suited for a track only car. What a strange combination of attributes.

- - - Updated - - -

Or at least, collector's cars for 918 owners...

^^^ This.

Yeah and I just love that giant "Porsche" logo that spans the entire side of the 911R. It's pure 1970's nostalgic goodness. Can you imagine what people would be saying if the new NSX-R came with giant "Acura" text and lines spanning the entire side of the car? Everyone would be laughing at how lame it looks. But Porsche does this and it's seen as a nod to classic goodness. But when I look at it I cannot shake the feeling that I'm seeing a 70's inspired car and it's obvious VW bug heritage. Remove that racing stripe and nobody would even give this $185,000 car a second look on the street.

Plus outside of car collectors and Porsche fanboys what is the point of the 911R beyond clever Porsche marketing? It's supposedly better suited for the street since it has softer suspension than a GT3, yet it has no AC or radio which are attributes better suited for a track only car. What a strange combination of attributes.

and yet they sold every one in less than 10 minutes. i'd have bought one too if i were quicker, and i'm not even a Porsche fan. but there is no denying that they are building the right cars...

Regardless of your opinion of the C7 Corvette, offers a lot starting at $70K for the '17 Grand Sport.

absolutely, yes. but no... :biggrin:

p.s. i'm at least 30 years away from being legally forced to move to Boca Raton and buy a Corvette. and subsequently drive 10 under the posted speed limit!

With the GT3 Porsche has the "less for more $" down pat.

IMO the Turbo is the best buy - equal performance or sometimes even quicker.

I would agree as long as one is able to keep his distance from the options list.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless of your opinion of the C7 Corvette, offers a lot starting at $70K for the '17 Grand Sport.

I would agree as long as one is able to keep his distance from the repair shop. Three magazines are currently running long term tests and all three have had major mechanical woes that, while repaired under warranty, resulted in weeks of down-time.

Last edited:
wow that 911R!
4.0L NA out of the GT3RS with 500hp / 3021lbs... 110lbs lighter than GT3RS and with a manual gearbox that is not available on the GT3RS... what??!!
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/geneva-auto-show/news/a28335/porsche-911-r-revealed/
I may have to go back to a Porsche... there the only ones still left building fun cars. GT3 GT4 now 911R :)

New NSX. bloated who?..... this 911R thing is where its at.

I don't get the Supercar for everyday driver objective... it appears pointless with tons of compromises. One car just cant do everything right.
I'll stick to the comfort of an SUV or a luxury sedan for daily needs, max comfort & hauling stuff ect.... plus a raw, wild, analog & as scary as possible weekend fun toy.

Paddles shifters, AWD, Hybrid, driving assists, all those words make me sleepy... while some people get excited over it.

Last edited:
Even as a prospective owner, I have no trouble saying that they chosen a VERY optimistic price point. The numbers (when released) had REALLY better deliver...

Last edited:
Deadly Rival?

New 2017 GT-R.....Are they worth they $102K starting price?

Seem to have performance to walk the talk & now more user friendly.....

A great car, and still a bargain-- even though they've walked up MSRP by ~$30K since the original. A worthy competitor to the C7 Z06 for "Value King." The reason that I think the NSX won't get cross-shopped against the GT-R is that the latter is ugly and is not the new-new thing (pretty long in the tooth and needing a new platform, IMHO). Plus, potential NSX buyers who were inclined to fall in love with the GT-R, probably already have owned one or have gotten over it.

The GT-R is a great car, and definitely among the best values in terms of supercar performance. Moreover, the GT-R is in the same league as the NSX from a performance standpoint. Therefore, there may be some cross-shopping of the two cars, and some may select the GT-R over the NSX in order to save $70k+. I suspect the more likely scenario is, as we have seen here, former GT-R owners who are looking to upgrade to the NSX. The NSX is a far, far, far better looking car -- this alone makes the NSX much more desirable than the GT-R. Moreover, while the cars are in the same league performance wise, I hope and suspect that the NSX will surpass the GT-R is many performance specs. Lastly, the age of the GT-R R35 platform is a big negative. Been there, done that. The forthcoming R36 will be a very interesting car, and likely a greater competitor to the NSX than the existing R35.

Last edited:
I would not say they are in the same market segment. GTR is a rung down on looks, build quality and features. The only direct rival is the z06 (which is better in every way)... And coincidentally something I'm cross shopping against the 2.0...even though they are in different segments!

Left-field contender:
F-Type SVR. I hadn't previously thought the R was a rival, but with the announcement of this mega one, they are right in the same price bracket.
attachment.php

Attachments

• jaguarftypesvr-00.jpg
    jaguarftypesvr-00.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 377
Back