• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the NSX's deadly rivals

fastaussie

Suspended
by the sounds of it, and from what i hear from most previous owners and several new recent ones, and also based on pricing and demographics, the Audi R8 and Porsche 911 Turbo seem to be the main rivals for the new NSX. i happened upon this video earlier, which i thought was quite good comparing those two models against each other. where i wonder would the new NSX fit in amoungst these two? they're both great daily drivers, pretty damn reliable, and both look like two, very, very good cars...

https://youtu.be/e16tfyzYhSU

Nice Find.

I think you are right that these are the 2 nearest competitors, IF the NSX has any real competitors at all. (How many Baby 918s are there under $200K) The 570S may cost the same but it doesn't have the luxury and all weather capability. The Huracan and 458/488 are still significantly more expensive with similar options. The Mercedes GTS is a front engine 2WD Sports Car that costs significantly less.

interesting Car and Driver had the preproduction NSX Ranked above the new Audi R8 V10 until they drove the "Plus". Now they have it ahead of the NSX.

Link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/audi/r8

Honda has its work cut out for it before it's on sale. Regardless, I have a feeling there will be several software updates post sale that will hone the car's capabilities as occurred with the 918.

by the sounds of it, and from what i hear from most previous owners and several new recent ones, and also based on pricing and demographics, the Audi R8 and Porsche 911 Turbo seem to be the main rivals for the new NSX. i happened upon this video earlier, which i thought was quite good comparing those two models against each other. where i wonder would the new NSX fit in amoungst these two? they're both great daily drivers, pretty damn reliable, and both look like two, very, very good cars...

https://youtu.be/e16tfyzYhSU

Nice find. In my opinion they all target to very different crowds.
I love the 911. Especially when you can find a 5 years old Turbo S for $60k... the depreciation of the new ones is terrible, and I believe that albeit being a 911 they never feel as...special as an R8 or the new NSX.

R8: I had the pleasure of driving the older version for one afternoon. Great car, not very fun to drive. I believe it is the "NSX of Germany" and it caters to the crowd of German fans, just like the NSX does so to the "Japanese car fans".

Regardless, I would buy a GT3 with that money...

With the GT3 Porsche has the "less for more $" down pat.

IMO the Turbo is the best buy - equal performance or sometimes even quicker.

P1030039_zpsvb0wyefh.jpg~original

P1030103_zpss4lypg3q.jpg~original

Last edited:
It depends what you are looking for.

I do not want to go fast on the feeder of the highway, I want to be entertained on track.
The 2 cars are day and night in terms of their philosophical differences.

Great video

Of? A Turbo S? The gopro camera? Colorado? Pikes Peak?

I am comparing stock cars. It appears that I may have caused your displeasure in my statement about the 911 Turbo as it seems that you own one. Good for you, it is a fantastic daily driver and a powerful vehicle. However a stock 911 is not as fun to drive on the track as a stock, GT3 in my opinion. Yes I tried both, albeit in MY 997.

Of? A Turbo S? The gopro camera? Colorado? Pikes Peak?

I am comparing stock cars. It appears that I may have caused your displeasure in my statement about the 911 Turbo as it seems that you own one. Good for you, it is a fantastic daily driver and a powerful vehicle. However a stock 911 is not as fun to drive on the track as a stock, GT3 in my opinion. Yes I tried both, albeit in MY 997.

Lighten up.....or switch to decaf.

i've driven the latest GT3 and Turbo S back-to-back many times, same day, same track, etc. (and there are huge differences with both cars by the way, night and day differences from the 997). honestly, i have to say i prefer the Turbo S. the GT3 is sharper for sure, definitely lighter and more composed, but farking hell when the boost comes on in the Turbo S, well it just makes you giggle like a small child. i liken it to making the jump to Hyperspace on the Millennium Falcon. it's a very different sensation from a Huracan or R8 V10. those cars thrust you forward instantly as if you're in the front of a freight train. the Turbo literally feels like a rocketship the way it accelerates (the GTR does not).

And i love the way you can really feel the front tires clawing for grip in the Turbo S. you can feel every slip and grab of inches of pavement through the wheel.

for a tighter track, i'd choose the GT3. for one with a few faster sections and decent straightaways, i'd take the Turbo S. for the street, i'd take the Turbo S. it has soooooo much more power. after driving the Turbo, the GT3 feels pretty slow. however, they are both simply phenomenal cars, Porsche fully gets it...

With the GT3 Porsche has the "less for more $" down pat.

IMO the Turbo is the best buy - equal performance or many times even quicker.

i can dig it...

p.s. sweet car mate

160k for a 2005 NSX? BUHHAHAHHAAH
If the new Nsx flops which it might after the first year. The 2005 very well might be worth 150k with low miles. I can't see Acura selling many cars after the initial year of release. There is a lot of competition out there in the market today. At this price point most people are not buying Japanese cars. The GTR has done well because of performance and it was 100k. It didn't sell because it's great looking

we can speculate all day on who will buy nsx 02.......and how many will sell....It will be very interesting to see the action year one.....as an aside there are a higher than usual percentage of engineers and folks with technical backgrounds who own gen 1 cars........I see no reason do doubt that the new car will deviate from that demographic...

At a projected and mere "800" units per year, I say they will be just fine. There will probably be just as many Gen 2 as there were Gen 1 (Which is roughly 8K total units in the US) before Gen 3 arrives. That's a good piece of rarity pie. People seem to think Acura is after 911 or Corvette sales numbers which is 10-20 times that amount that amount per generation. That's what makes the Porsche or Chevy not rare or really that special even though they are performance benchmarks and extremely competent sports cars.

so what's the criteria for the new NSX being a hit?

showroom sales of the allotted amount diminished? or universal acclaim from the automotive press? or both, or something else?

so what's the criteria for the new NSX being a hit?

showroom sales of the allotted amount diminished? or universal acclaim from the automotive press? or both, or something else?

I think they are going to need both hitting their sales targets year in and year out without having to offer discounts and receive critical acclaim.

And from that standpoint I like the limited run of 800 per year.

I actually wouldn't have minded it be even less like 500/yr. If there are losses to take, I say they pony up on the front end and not on the back end when the product isn't moving. The Viper situation was an embarrassing debacle and should provide good forewarning.

I think Honda gets it that the fruit of this venture is not to be had on just the revenue on the sale of the actual car. If their strategy works, it should pay dividends in the branding and sales of the entire lineup. Its a bold move that the Honda of the 80's and 90's would have made (and in fact did make).

Last edited:
Many US dealers claim that they already have deposits for their entire first year of allocations -- some claim to be well into their second year of allocations -- most with premiums. I suspect that Acura will easily sell all of the first year cars. As the premiums subside and MSRP becomes readily attainable, additional buyers will enter the market. Moreover, Southern California and Southern Florida dealerships will acquire any unsold inventory where there is less demand. The real test will be in the second and third year. Will the NSX have staying power?

As far as the comparisons, the 2016 Audi R8 V10 Plus has an MSRP of approximately $210,000 -- $54,000 more than the NSX. That is a significant price differential. Nevertheless, the NSX is just as fast, if not faster, and (IMHO) looks much better. The 2016 R8 V10 (non-Plus) has an MSRP of approximately $185,000 -- $29,000 more than the NSX. Still a meaningful price differential. Yet, the Non-Plus is materially slower than the NSX. The 2017 Porsche Turbo S has an MSRP of approximately $188,000 -- $32,000 more than the NSX. The 2017 Porsche Turbo (non-S) has an MSRP of approximately $159,000. Keep in mind that Porsche is notorious for making every stitch an additional priced option, such that their cars ultimately cost MUCH more than the bare bones MSRP. The McLaren 570s has an MSRP of approximately $185,000 -- again, $29,000 more than the NSX. Thus, the Porsche Turbo (non-S) is the only one of the identified competitors that is genuinely similarly priced. IMHO, that is the NSX's closest competition -- certainly from a pricing perspective.

I have owned two Porsche Turbo Ss. While the Porsche Turbo is indisputably a great car, its appearance is, dare I say, rather staid, uninspiring and banal. Been there, done that. Hence the reason why I got the GT-R. The GT-R, while not a great looking car, was something different, original and exciting. IMHO, the NSX is better looking than the Porsche Turbo (and much better looking than the GT-R). The NSX is fresh and has the lines of a supercar, as compared to the 911's 40 year old lines. The Audi R8 also has unique and exciting lines. However, I think the NSX is better looking than the R8. Moreover, and importantly, the R8 Plus is much more expensive and merely equal (at best) in performance. The McLaren 570S is admittedly a great looking car -- probably the best looking of the bunch. However, it is two wheel drive (I much prefer AWD) and, therefore, its peak performance numbers are more difficult to replicate on the street. Moreover, it is still something of a niche car, without the backing of an institutional manufacturer, and I personally would be concerned with long term reliability if daily driven. I suspect the NSX is much more suitable for daily driving as compared to the 570S (and I intend to daily drive the car). The 570s is also $29,000 more than the NSX and slower (given the AWD v. RWD, I suspect the actual difference in street performance is greater than the advertised numbers reflect).

For some, the difference between $150,000 and $200,000 is inconsequential. However, for many, a $50,000 price differential matters, particularly when you do not get more for the additional cost.

Went back and forth (including waiting for new NSX details etc) between the S and regular. Two options I wasn't interested in
were the PCCB (ceramic brakes) & center lock wheels. This is the build I wound up with. Sport Chrono on the TT is a necessity
for the overboost function - AKA sport plus. Standard on the TTS model.

Probably similar $$$ to what the average NSX will be. Sales tax & license where I live was another 10% additional.

I got a decent deal on this car, but that's relative in this atmosphere.

As far as the looks go, it's a Porsche 911 Turbo.....

P1030021_zpsftgkvbtm.jpg~original

Last edited:
Went back and forth (including waiting for new NSX details etc) between the S and regular. Two options I wasn't interested in
were the PCCB (ceramic brakes) & center lock wheels. This is the build I wound up with. Sport Chrono on the TT is a necessity
for the overboost function - AKA sport plus. Standard on the TTS model.

Probably similar $$$ to what the average NSX will be. Sales tax & license where I live was another 10% additional.

I got a decent deal on this car, but that's relative in this atmosphere.

As far as the looks go, it's a Porsche 911 Turbo.

P1030021_zpsftgkvbtm.jpg~original

Again, nice car but as it is a non S, do you think it outperforms the NSX?

Who knows? The TTS & TT debate continues. The motors are mechanically identical....ECU is juiced up a bit
in the S. Below is GIAC tune on both...you can see the initial difference between the TT & TTS , but with the same tune everything is equal after that.

You'll notice above, some Porsche options are pure "money grabs".

So far the NSX performance numbers seem to be subjective. They will be competitive I'm sure.

The Turbo is a proven platform + goes way beyond what I'm capable of extracting out of it.

4WD, 4WS & seemingly unlimited power sets it apart from many competitors. The 20 second overboost
in torque in either TT or TTS will give most a wake up call!

Best car I've ever driven to date....

BTW, I kept buying NSX's because they were great drivers, not because they were the fastest......

image_zpsft83m3yd.png~original

Last edited:
Car Throttle just posted an interesting article and poll pertaining to what else you could get for the NSX money. Irony, the 911 Turbo is #1 on the competitor list. Looking at the results by region, age, and sex were interesting too.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/5-cars-you-could-buy-instead-of-the-new-acura-nsx/

Back