• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Refresh by michaelbrat

I fell in love with the Recaro RS-G bucket seat back in 2010 when visiting the famous wall of Recaros at ASM headquarters, Yokohama Japan. It just fit my body perfectly. But for $1000+ for a seat, I held off... Until now.
(photo by [MENTION=26880]phryxis[/MENTION])

I finally have my hands on an RS-G for the NSX. It's a Japan market seat, and fits smaller frames. The seat position is ideal for me.

The Recaro seat rail position is said to be a bit high, so I decided to try the Bride Type-FG (low type) rail. Bride makes really nice rails. I've never had issues with their products. Unfortunately, none of their seats fit like the RS-G.

The RS-G rear mounting points, can only go as low as the mid adjustment height. At this height, the bottom of the seat presses firmly into the floor.

(Some other seat rail options are Mugen, which is discontinued; or Buddy Club, which is medium quality and a 2pc design, making it less rigid during cornering)

My favorite mods are the unseen and understated kind. Black oxide bolts, washers, and lock washers are a must to keep things stealth. Painter's tape in between the seat and brackets to prevent marring and creaking against the fiberglass shell.

Shine some light on the back to more easily cut out the holes.

Removed some material from the rear mounting brackets to contour around the side belt trims. (remember, these rails are built for Bride seats. some modification may be required)

Created spacers to raise the front mounting points and place the seat into a more reclined driving position.

Even with the spacers, the position isn't quite reclined enough for my liking, so I'll be making some tall front mounting brackets to increase the adjustment range. More pictures to come.

Mike B

Decided to draw up taller brackets for the front mounting points, and asked Mario at TSR fabrication in Gardena, CA do all the cutting, drilling, bending, sanding.

The seating position is amazing. It's easily 2" lower than stock, and improves the driving experience in several ways. A bucket seat is still my favorite mod on any sports car and Recaro does an excellent job designing seats.

Mike B

very nice! Your attention to detail is always the best.

I think the brackets would look better black like the originals.

Beautiful job Mike and I'm sure your new front mounting brackets are painted and stealth like the rest of your attention to detail. I love my Recaros!

very nice! Your attention to detail is always the best.

I think the brackets would look better black like the originals.

Beautiful job Mike and I'm sure your new front mounting brackets are painted and stealth like the rest of your attention to detail. I love my Recaros!

Thanks guys! Yes, I will powdercoat the brackets like the originals. But first, I'm testing them over the next few weeks to make sure the position is ideal.

Mike B

I've been watching Jay Leno's Garage recently, and stumbled across an episode about fire extinguishers. There are many ways a fire can start, even in modern street cars. Having a small fire extinguisher in your car can be the difference between a small problem and an entire car in flames. After some research, there seems to be a few basic types. I'm no expert by any means, but here is what I've gathered.

The ABC type is the most common, used in standard household or work environments. This is also one of the cheapest and can be bought at your local convenience store. The problem with this type of extinguisher is that it leaves behind a nasty mess that is very difficult or impossible to fully clean.

Then there is CO2. This type is residue free and basically chokes the fire while cooling the area. These are in the mid-price range and seem to be appropriate for automotive applications. This type of extinguisher does not leave behind residue but can cause damage to delicate electronics from the extreme cold temperatures.

Halon is the final type of extinguisher I looked into (not to be confused with Halotron). Halon is the top choice in most manufacturing, electronic, and aviation applications because of its effectiveness in extinguishing fires, while remaining residue free and not shocking electronics with extreme cold. The downside is that Halon is a CFC and production ceased in 94'. Since there is no good way to get rid of it, the existing supply is still recycled and reused. It's also in the high-price range.

After learning all this, I decided to purchase a small Halon extinguisher for the NSX. The cost was about $130. A small price to pay for fire insurance.

More details can be found here. I am in no way affiliated with this company.

--
Now, where to put this thing?

I want to keep it out of sight and thought about mounting it in the trunk. That makes accessibility a bit slow in an emergency. After some thought, I decided to make a bracket and mount the extinguisher under the front of my seat. It fits perfect and allows for easy and quick access. I'm happy with the results! It feels great to have this added safety in my beloved NSX.

Enjoy the pics!

Mike B

Here's that episode of Jay Leno's Garage if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTdHmZ-FC4s

Last edited:
What a nice build! Subscribe to this build!

That is a sweet set up. Would love to do the same but my Recaro's sit a bit low and I don't think I could tuck the extinguisher in that far. I'll have to look and see. What dimension is that bottle and nozzle? Great build my friend.

Nice location, quick access, can barely tell its there!

What a nice build! Subscribe to this build!

Thanks guys :smile:

That is a sweet set up. Would love to do the same but my Recaro's sit a bit low and I don't think I could tuck the extinguisher in that far. I'll have to look and see. What dimension is that bottle and nozzle? Great build my friend.

Thanks! The bottle dimensions are approximately 10.5 x 4.0 x 3.0"
You may be able to tuck it behind the seat; there is a bunch of space on mine. Just make a simple flat bracket that bolts down with the 2 rear seat bracket bolts. We can brainstorm next time we meet.

Mike B

Hey Mike - I know you mentioned you borrowed your friends engine cradle, you wouldn't happen to know if anyone selling one? If not would you happen to have detail pictures of the engine cradle? Thanks in advance!

By the way...nice refresh! Looks great!

Hey Mike - I know you mentioned you borrowed your friends engine cradle, you wouldn't happen to know if anyone selling one? If not would you happen to have detail pictures of the engine cradle? Thanks in advance!

By the way...nice refresh! Looks great!

Sorry I don't know of any available, but it looks like a few dealers are still selling them online. The tool number is 07MAK-PR7020A. Hope this helps.

Mike B

I've been sending samples of my NSX engine oil to Blackstone ever since the rebuild. They analyze the oil and tell you what exactly is floating around in it, what you TBN is (active lubricant basically), and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Here's a report of my last 3 oil changes. All were Motul 10w40, except for the most recent being 5w30. You can see the difference in viscosities at temp! Also, check out the drop in elements per oil change as the engine flushes out the excess debris from the rebuild.

I highly recommend using these guys if you want to get an idea of how your engine is wearing and how your oil is holding up.

Mike B

Back