• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery tender connection-engine bay terminals or direct to battery?

where is the best place to connect to?

i just got this Deltran Plus 1.25 amp tender-http://www.batterytender.com/Dion/Battery-TenderR-Plus.html

i won't use it much,i drive the car 2-3 times a week year round,just got it for rare periods of extended bad weather where the car's stuck in the garage.battery is about a year old,has a new neg. cable,and I usually drive 15-20 miles each time I start it,which should fully charge it.

i hooked this up for the first time after 5 days of sitting.i used the alligator clip attachment,positive on the jump start terminal in the engine bay fusebox (2nd from left in rear with raised ridged metal cover on it,under liftable cover),negative on the negative post on the engine block. It took 4 hours to go from red to flashing green (which means 80% charged) and is still on flashing green after 5 hours (goes to solid green when fully charged.)

i'm wondering if it might charge better and more quickly if hooked directly to the battery-it comes with a second alternate charging attachment which has round flat connectors with a hole that can mount permanently on the battery posts under the clamps,that cord then being connected to the tender.i was hoping to avoid this more permanent connection,and having to pull the spare,disconnect the battery,and safely attach the cable since I won't be using it much.

Last edited:
The speed of charging isn't affected by where you connect it. You should connect it where it's easiest for you, based on how often you intend to use it, etc. Just to give some examples of things you might consider... If you're only going to connect it rarely, and it's inside your garage, the terminal (and ground) in the engine compartment is a lot easier to reach. If the car is going to be covered for an extended period of time (sounds like this is not the case, but), you might consider installing a cable with pigtails going up to the front grille, so you can connect it there without uncovering the car. Stuff like that.

it is garaged,and I don't have a cover,thanks

Hi Robbie,

I have the same battery tender and it works great. I have mine hooked up directly to the battery and used the rounded end connector, I snipped it with cutters to be open ended like the attached pic, then loosened the battery cable bolt and slid it in and tightened it up. The cable can then be tucked out of the way when not in use and run up between the hood and the headlight cover and doesn't get pinched. When I have it hooked up, I also hang a tag on my steering wheel to remind me to unhook it before I drive away. Ask me how I found that one out? doh!!
attachment.php

Joe
91 NSX Red/Black

Attachments

• fork terminal.jpg
    fork terminal.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,275
The speed of charging isn't affected by where you connect it. You should connect it where it's easiest for you, based on how often you intend to use it, etc. Just to give some examples of things you might consider... If you're only going to connect it rarely, and it's inside your garage, the terminal (and ground) in the engine compartment is a lot easier to reach. If the car is going to be covered for an extended period of time (sounds like this is not the case, but), you might consider installing a cable with pigtails going up to the front grille, so you can connect it there without uncovering the car. Stuff like that.

Correct - this is a low-current float charger. So, when the battery is up to the correct float voltage, current drops to zero and there is zero loss thru the wiring. I wired mine thru a spare fuse slot in fuse box under the hood (on the passenger side of a US car)

where is the best place to connect to?

i just got this Deltran Plus 1.25 amp tender-http://www.batterytender.com/Dion/Battery-TenderR-Plus.html

i won't use it much,i drive the car 2-3 times a week year round,just got it for rare periods of extended bad weather where the car's stuck in the garage.battery is about a year old,has a new neg. cable,and I usually drive 15-20 miles each time I start it,which should fully charge it.

i hooked this up for the first time after 5 days of sitting.i used the alligator clip attachment,positive on the jump start terminal in the engine bay fusebox (2nd from left in rear with raised ridged metal cover on it,under liftable cover),negative on the negative post on the engine block. It took 4 hours to go from red to flashing green (which means 80% charged) and is still on flashing green after 5 hours (goes to solid green when fully charged.)

i'm wondering if it might charge better and more quickly if hooked directly to the battery-it comes with a second alternate charging attachment which has round flat connectors with a hole that can mount permanently on the battery posts under the clamps,that cord then being connected to the tender.i was hoping to avoid this more permanent connection,and having to pull the spare,disconnect the battery,and safely attach the cable since I won't be using it much.
Robbie, Mine is connected to the engine bay terminals. The ones recommended for jump starting the car. Works fine.

thanks mark,that's what i needed to know

You can connect it to any location that can support a 1.25 amp connection (source: http://www.batterytender.com/Frequently-Asked-Questions/)

That's a relatively small current draw. I forget my Ohm's Law but a fused connection that's rated at 5amps or more should be able to support a Battery Tender. Even some cars that have a constant connection "always on" cigarette lighter port can keep a car charged.

I would have no issues plugging in the tender at the battery direct, at the jumper ports under the hatch, or even at one of the fuse blocks around the car.

Good luck!

Back