• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pride Lightweight exhaust installed. Pix/video inside

So I installed my first mod two days ago, a Pride Lightweight exhaust. I purchased from Pride itself, which has an eBay store. It cost me $935 shipped, and I had to pay an extra $130 for adapters for my 1999 NSX. It fits 1991-1996 NSXs without adapters, and the adapters for 1997-2000 are different from 2001-2005. I contacted Pride with questions about adding the adapters to my eBay order, and they were VERY fast in replying. Do these guys ever sleep? :)

I have never, ever installed an exhaust before and I have ten thumbs, so I accepted the challenge of doing it myself. I felt it a useful way to acquaint myself with my "new to me" NSX.

Unboxed. It's so light I can hold it up with one hand, easily. Just beautiful handiwork!
jP3Oh5.jpg

Jacking up my NSX with a low-profile jack. BOTH passenger side wheels are off the ground!
DAUizZ.jpg

Just in case you didn't get the hint as to where the jack stands belong....every manufacturer should make jacking points this obvious. Thank you Honda!
VYiZBO.jpg

Both sides of the rear up.
c0tYSv.jpg

The "middle" exhaust connection. There's one that's higher up, on the passenger side. It's four bolts in total. You'd think I'd have been finished in an hour. Right? Right? Riiiiiiiiiight......
2Y6Jks.jpg

The center exhaust connection is easy to reach and the required wrench size is 12 mm (not 14 as quoted in some FAQs, they must be for pre-1997). The pair of bolts on the passenger side are much more difficult to reach, and took even longer to remove because there's no room for a ratchet wrench. This means hand wrenches, and repeated tiny amounts of movement.
2puFOT.jpg

Three hours later, a sore back, arms, and legs, WD-40, and the use of my heat gun later....let's just say those four bolts did not come off without a fight. 16 years of rusted bolt vs. my 160-pound weakling ass required the use of all of the above, AND lots of patience with occasional cussing. 20-minute install, my ass! :)

Anyhoo.....Stock exhaust is 43 pounds and is the dirty exhaust, the Pride lightweight exhaust is the shiny thing behind at 18 pounds. Thank GOD it's so light, else I would have waited till the next day to finish install. Did I tell you I was sore? Note the tiny dent in the exhaust can, but it's in a place that is never seen after install, so I didn't complain to Pride about it, it isn't a huge deal.
Re1zM7.jpg

Installing was a breeze. It took two minutes to hang the new exhaust, and another 10 minutes to screw the (now lubed with WD-40) bolts back in.
QOmpox.jpg

The only fly in the ointment was that the curve of the adapter for the left side of the exhaust was such that I could not get one of the spring-loaded bolts back through the hole connecting to the cats. I had to improvise and install that bolt backward, without the spring. Not ideal, but workable for now.

The work and soreness were worth it, though! The exhaust sound is AMAZING. It's like the NSX's testicles dropped and made the car go through puberty. NICE deep tone. The only significant drone comes if you do part throttle at 1800-2000 rpm. It is louder than stock, but I can hear myself speaking in the cockpit easily, and on rapid acceleration..... :drool: it sounds so good.

And now for the part you are waiting for....a long neuronbob™-style comparison video! In this video, I compare the volume of the stock with the Pride Lightweight, and do a direct comparison of external and internal exhaust sound between the two. The video is longish but will hopefully be helpful. Earphones are a must.

Stock Acura NSX exhaust vs. Pride Lightweight exhaust - YouTube

Nice, I had the same issue with taking the old off. Impact guns, breaker bars, wd 40, pb blaster, and my torch wouldn't budge it. Had to go to a shop to pay to get it done.

Good video, I am a fan of the pride exhaust systems as I run the V2 RFL on a stock manifold 1993 3.0L. One of these days I will hook my audio equipment up in order to get a clip up.

I also have Pride V2 on my '91. Yours has a deeper tone than mine. I wonder how much lighter than stock the light weight version is? Heck the Space shuttle is almost lighter than the NSX OEM Exhaust system.

Nice Bob, sounds good!
Any reason you chose this over the V2 or V2RFL?

And yes I agree, from stock to aftermarket is incredible. Did you hear my before/after vids?

Last edited:
Nice, I had the same issue with taking the old off. Impact guns, breaker bars, wd 40, pb blaster, and my torch wouldn't budge it. Had to go to a shop to pay to get it done.

Good video, I am a fan of the pride exhaust systems as I run the V2 RFL on a stock manifold 1993 3.0L. One of these days I will hook my audio equipment up in order to get a clip up.

Thanks! If not for the bolt removal, my install would have taken only 1/2 hour.

I also have Pride V2 on my '91. Yours has a deeper tone than mine. I wonder how much lighter than stock the light weight version is? Heck the Space shuttle is almost lighter than the NSX OEM Exhaust system.

The lightweight is 19.5 pounds, the stock is 43 pounds, so the weight difference is 23.5 pounds. The V2 has a higher pitch than the Lightweight, from what I can hear in the YouTube videos for the V2.

Nice Bob, sounds good!
Any reason you chose this over the V2 or V2RFL?

And yes I agree, from stock to aftermarket is incredible. Did you hear my before/after vids?

I did a lot of YouTube surfing and I wanted a deeper, non-raspy sound. The V2 RFL is just too loud. The V2 sounds like it has a little rasp, though in many videos I saw, people were installing test pipes, too, which can increase the rasp. The Lightweight has no rasp whatsoever, and has a more basso sound to it, as opposed to the V2's higher pitch/tone. I would have been happy with a V2, honestly, just wanted to try something a little different from everyone else.

Here is a video of my car with Pride Headers, Resonated Test Pipes and V2. Unfortunately you'll notice at the 6:25 mark the ECM kills rpm due to a problem with the front head vtec oil system as I was about to enter into 3rd gear. It's since been fixed, but you'll still get an idea of the sound.

Last edited:
Congrats on your first mod. Therapeutic isn't it? Mark at Pride is a great vendor. I have heard the pride lightweight on a Dyno. God damn that exhaust is loud. It was also spewing out fiberglass. But it was on a highly modified engine so I wouldn't worry. Does it drone at all?

Congrats on your first mod. Therapeutic isn't it? Mark at Pride is a great vendor. I have heard the pride lightweight on a Dyno. God damn that exhaust is loud. It was also spewing out fiberglass. But it was on a highly modified engine so I wouldn't worry. Does it drone at all?

If you think the lightweight is loud, you should hear the V2 and RFL.

If you think the lightweight is loud, you should hear the V2 and RFL.

I was under the impression the lightweight was louder than the V2. But it's actually the other way around?

I was under the impression the lightweight was louder than the V2. But it's actually the other way around?

The V2 screams (with headers and test pipes) when the throttle is opened, but is easy on the ears during normal driving and its not a tinny sound. Maybe a hint of drone at around 2500 rpm. Music to the ears. I drive my wife nuts with the wind from driving with the windows open as much as possible.

From what I have heard, yes.
Youtube some videos or look around Prime.

Lightweight -> V2 -> RFL in that order from loud to loudest in my opinion

Thanks guys! If I ever look after something more comfortable (less drone/noise at low rpms) for long trips to replace my SMTPO Messiah, I should look at the Lightweight instead of the V2 then.

I've had my pride LW for over two years now...absolutely love it. Get lots of complements from people all the time. No drone at all with mine.

And light weight it is!!!

I run the RFL and boy is it loud (I'm stock header and cats also). However, get this thing about 4K RPM and it is pure music. It does drone too which I'd definitely a downside, but being the third car I don't care lol.

I have not heard the V2 and LW next to each other in real life, so I don't know which is louder than the other.

V2 and RFL owners will have to do sound testing similar to what I did to get an objective measurement of the difference. It takes only a few minutes to measure if you have a sound meter handy.

I like the V2 sound in the video above, but again with a test pipe there is some raspiness that I wanted to avoid, thus I'm other stock. I'm after the sound more than adding power to a pretty much maxed out NA engine.

I have not heard the lightweight other than on a Dyno. But can I can tell you that when it is paired with a supercharger, everything 40 feet behind it is covered in fiberglass particles.

I have not heard the lightweight other than on a Dyno. But can I can tell you that when it is paired with a supercharger, everything 40 feet behind it is covered in fiberglass particles.

Yes after putting test pipes and supercharger on it . Expected all
the fiberglass in the muffler to be spewed out . The exhaust will be louder once all
the fiberglass is gone from the exhaust lol . It's doesn't matter any way it's going to be music to your ears .

Thankfully, I have no plans to supercharge my NSX. I already have a supercharged car in the garage. :). NSX has the right power for me in stock form.

Last edited:
[MENTION=28731]Speed6[/MENTION]

^^^^

I'm sorry I missed your post. So that's YOUR car Those videos were the ones that convinced me to purchase this exhaust. Five months and almost 1k miles later, still enjoying the heck out of it. It's not throwing out fiberglass, thankfully. It has gotten a little louder with use, though.

Back