• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Magnetic ride shocks

Just heads up that these type of shocks are prone to leaking out oil. They are expensive to replace and can start to leak at less than 10k miles. Some get replaced under warranty depending on if they think if it is a wear and tear item. Alot of times owners will replace the shocks with non magnetic ride to avoid the issue again. Maybe this magnetic ride they developed may not be prone to leaking but it's something to be aware of.

The ones in my mdx has had zero issues in 65,000 miles and counting.

I've owned two Cadi CTS-Vs with the magnetic ride shocks and neither of those cars has ever had shock leaking, in over 75k miles of driving between the two. They are also fairly inexpensive to source for Cadis as well. Some V owners do have the problem but it is not widespread.

Can't speak for the Acura variant as they didn't bother to put them on my Sport Hybrid, where they belong :( , instead on the MDX.

I have them on my SS and love them...with no issues so far. Chevy though kinda led the way on developing this technology for the masses and I think they make some great dampeners. Hopefully Honda/Acura can replicate a successful design.

They were American-designed, by Delphi, used in the CTS-V first, then the SS, then were sold to a Chinese concern. Honda could therefore just license them from the current owners of the tech. Job done!

We sold a used MDX that needed a front shock shortly after the customer had it. It cost us $1300.00 for the part plus installation. He has since had to replace the other side too. Not worth the extra expense in my book.

They were American-designed, by Delphi, used in the CTS-V first, then the SS, then were sold to a Chinese concern. Honda could therefore just license them from the current owners of the tech. Job done!
To my knowledge all this stems from the Corvette C4 88 ride control option, which was I recall made by KONI.
I know that early 90's Maserati used the same setup form Koni and then later in the late nineties they renamed it "SkyHook" with Alfa/Maserati & Ferrari.
GM revised the system for the then new C5 Corvette with the magnetic ride control option and that was Delphi I recall since it was licensed.

I'd need to check if the Italian system now run's a Delphi controller for the ride control, as I recall a similar system was used by GM Europe on Opel and Saab models about a decade ago.

Have had to replace a few on our MDX. Not cheap but when they work, they work pretty darn well.

Thanks for adding more background. Really helpful and interesting to know.

To my knowledge all this stems from the Corvette C4 88 ride control option, which was I recall made by KONI.
I know that early 90's Maserati used the same setup form Koni and then later in the late nineties they renamed it "SkyHook" with Alfa/Maserati & Ferrari.
GM revised the system for the then new C5 Corvette with the magnetic ride control option and that was Delphi I recall since it was licensed.

I'd need to check if the Italian system now run's a Delphi controller for the ride control, as I recall a similar system was used by GM Europe on Opel and Saab models about a decade ago.

The Delphi's are on a few Fcars and Audi's on some models where they had a TSB to replace them for free because they leaked even if out of warranty. On Fcars they are around 3k a strut and Audi's were about 1800 per strut. I would imagine the NSX will cost at least 2000 per strut. I doubt its the same as the MDX strut.

$1800-3k PER STRUT? That is really steep. I can replace each corner for less than $300 on my CTS-V wagon, via Amazon.

The Delphi's are on a few Fcars and Audi's on some models where they had a TSB to replace them for free because they leaked even if out of warranty. On Fcars they are around 3k a strut and Audi's were about 1800 per strut. I would imagine the NSX will cost at least 2000 per strut. I doubt its the same as the MDX strut.
I don't recall getting any memo's here of issues with the Ferrari dampers, I do know it's a widespread issue with Audi RS.
On Maserati it does fail from time to time but nothing more than usual, it's roughly $1000 per strut on those.

Read it on Fchat with 599's 3k a piece and Audi R8 1800 a piece. People have asked about rebuilding them but its the seal that breaks so its not easy to reseal a closed system and impossible to get the magnetic oil to fill them.
RS had a tsb to replace them with improved ones for free but they were called dynamic ride so were different

No TSB on the R8 and they also leak frequently. $1800 is the correct price, I had 3 leaking shocks. There is a company out of Europe that was repairing the units. I replaced mine with the shocks out of the R8 GT. No leaks, better handling, almost as comfortable and MUCH MUCH less expensive. The R8 shocks were made in Czechoslovakia. Hope there is no issue in the new NSX.

To my knowledge, GM's very 1st gen True MAG(alphabete) ride shocks were used on 04 caddy XLR before branching out to others. They have since undergone advances in design. I have an 04 XLR with close to 30kmi now. Not a lot of miles (it's one of the Toys) but ~12 years of age with no issues to date. Love the comfort when cruising and seamless firming when driving more "spirited". As such I have great expectations from 3rd gen design on 2nd gen NSX.
I also have an '89 caddy Alante' with auto adjust shocks. They are a much different design, do have (pricey) issues so mine are in defeat mode ... But even in defeat (which may only be the dash alarm of mismatch) feel fine for such a lesser performing car/toy.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, GM's very 1st gen True MAG(alphabete) ride shocks were used on 04 caddy XLR before branching out to others. They have since undergone advances in design. I have an 04 XLR with close to 30kmi now. Not a lot of miles (it's one of the Toys) but ~12 years of age with no issues to date. Love the comfort when cruising and seamless firming when driving more "spirited". As such I have great expectations from 3rd gen design on 2nd gen NSX.
I also have an '89 caddy Alante' with auto adjust shocks. They are a much different design, do have (pricey) issues so mine are in defeat mode ... But even in defeat (which may only be the dash alarm of mismatch) feel fine for such a lesser performing car/toy.

small world,one of my friends is a big gm guy and also owns an old allante and an XLR.....

Interesting for sure.
My cars/toys mix are all over with no real common theme other than most are non typical/or all that popular.
'73 Citroen SM ( my 1'st super car bought back in '80, and now with ~ 31 kmi since new)
'87 Nissan 300 ZX n/a
'89 Caddy Alante'
'90 Nissan 300 ZX n/a ( < 32kmi)
'91 Nissan 300 ZX TT ( ~ 55 kmi and 1'st palce in nationals '13)
'00 Volvo S80 T6
'03 Nissan 350Z (3'rd place in '15 nationals)
'04 Caddy XLR
'05 Ford T-Bird (commemorative) SE (#595 of last 1500 made)
'05 Acura RL (my daily driver once selling my '87 Legend Coupe)
'09 Nissan GT-R (mine was loaned for a commercial and can be viewed on U-tube "RSV4 vs GTR" at monticello )

'17 NSX... in standby with dealer waiting for green light to submit order

The problem with the dampers is that the magnetic fluid has a texture to it that is abrasive over time to all the internals (and obviously the seals).

I've been waiting years for Monroe to release their intelligent suspension systems for the aftermarket but have given up:
http://www.tenneco.com/original_equipment/ride_control/technology/advanced_damper/

Their CVSA/Kinetic system is what McLaren first used on the 12C.

Back