• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA3 to be 5x114.3mm or 5x120mm?

just wondering what other prime members think the NA3 PCD would be. 5x114.3mm like NA1/2 or 5x120mm like other late model Acuras?

either way, there would be plenty of after market options. i wonder if the hub bore will be reasonable or if the electric motors requires larger beefier hubs for the torque.

diameters are supposedly 19"/20" with 235/45/19 and 295/30/20 tire sizes.

Car hasn't been released yet. And Honda has been pretty stingy on details (EPA fuel economy figures haven't even been released yet), so not sure what you expect anyone to say.

Except:

Chassis code will not be NA3.

Front wheels are 19x8.5J, rear are 20x11J forged aluminum
Front tires 245/35ZR19 93Y SOT, rear 305/30ZR20 103Y SOT

Turning circle 39.7'

No spare tire, just a repair kit.

Last edited:
Well based it off of those two options you have a 50/50 chance of guessing just as well as myself.

hahaha, i suppose that is true.

What's an NA3?

excuse me, it looks like the honda chassis code will be NC1, as that's in the VIN. per a honda press release i found on reddit/r/nsx https://www.reddit.com/r/nsx/comments/3qw08j/honda_press_release_regarding_the_nc1_second_gen/

- - - Updated - - -

Huh, these must the competition or track package wheel dimensions that come with the better tires (pilot cup 2 if i remember correctly) i saw on a youtube video.

From looking at the wheels both in pictures and in person it seems like it may be 5x120 but that's just my guess.

I should be able to make the Chicago auto show this year so I will take measurements as long as the car will not be completely roped off.

excuse me, it looks like the honda chassis code will be NC1, as that's in the VIN. per a honda press release i found on reddit/r/nsx
Huh, these must the competition or track package wheel dimensions that come with the better tires (pilot cup 2 if i remember correctly) i saw on a youtube video.

There's lots of data on factory wheel and tires options for the new NSX.
I've not seen anything from Honda with chassis code data so unless someone can pick up a VIN from one of the prototypes NC1 may or may not be correct.
What is the relevance of the wheel bore pattern?
The aftermarket offers whatever bore pattern a manufacturer uses now, so why would it be any different for the new NSX?

I should be able to make the Chicago auto show this year so I will take measurements as long as the car will not be completely roped off.
This may help. The diameter of the bolt circle is measured at the center of the lug nuts. Measuring is more straightforward with an even number of lugs than it is with an odd number. Here are diagrams of two methods of measuring a five-lug circle. I can't vouch for the effectiveness of either one, other than knowing that both rely on the diameters of the bolts themselves so neither one is mathematically pure.

5bolt.gif

tech-boltcircle-1.gif

Gotta love the 5-bolt pattern!
I don't recommend the measure-to-edge-of hole method. Instead:

fivebolt.png

Measure center-to-center on the two holes shown and multiply by 1.051 .
(The exact multiplier is the secant of 18 degrees.)

Gotta love the 5-bolt pattern!
I don't recommend the measure-to-edge-of hole method. Instead:

fivebolt.png

Measure center-to-center on the two holes shown and multiply by 1.051 .
(The exact multiplier is the secant of 18 degrees.)
Thank you. That makes more sense than either of the two methods I illustrated above, and is "mathematically pure", i.e. not dependent on the diameter of the lugs, etc.

It would be pretty darn difficult to tell the difference between 5x114.3 and 5x120 from a photograph...

If you mean gauging it just by eye, I agree that would be difficult.

There are some good sized pics of the wheels on Brylek's flickr stream.
I calculated the scale of a pic on my monitor yesterday by measuring the
outside diameter of the tire with a ruler and comparing that to the 25.8" spec
I looked up for a Continental 245/35R19 on TireRack's site. With that estimate
of the scale of the pic, I measured the distance between bolts and did the
5-bolt calculation. The end result gave a bolt circle diameter of 120.5 mm.
Not a highly exact method, but good enough for me to say it looks like 5x120.

This may sound a bit obsessive but it didn't take very long to do.

If you mean gauging it just by eye, I agree that would be difficult.

There are some good sized pics of the wheels on Brylek's flickr stream.
I calculated the scale of a pic on my monitor yesterday by measuring the
outside diameter of the tire with a ruler and comparing that to the 25.8" spec
I looked up for a Continental 245/35R19 on TireRack's site. With that estimate
of the scale of the pic, I measured the distance between bolts and did the
5-bolt calculation. The end result gave a bolt circle diameter of 120.5 mm.
Not a highly exact method, but good enough for me to say it looks like 5x120.

This may sound a bit obsessive but it didn't take very long to do.

You should also compare those values with the diameter of the wheel since that's also known as well. :)

i believe most acuras are 5x120 these days.

for some of the early posters that didn't understand why it mattered: many bmws come with large hub bore and every wheel diameter from 22-17" with staggered widths that would bolt up to a NSX, given that hub bore is not crazy larger (ie 73mm or bigger). there are still tons of fitments in 5x114.3 but nicer wheels and better wheels to be had in 5x120 territory.

i am also glad they are keeping a double staggered fitment from the factory. 8.5j front 11j rear
i'm also gonna bet its 5x120. but its it is 5x114.3, then that would be cool. kind of a homage to all the other hondas, and the NA1 and NA2.

with a the right whee set up, i bet the NC1 can get a 265 up front and 315 rear, possibly alot more. GTR come with 255/285 stock, so i would think this would not be out of the question for the NC1.

for some of the early posters that didn't understand why it mattered: many bmws come with large hub bore and every wheel diameter from 22-17" with staggered widths that would bolt up to a NSX, given that hub bore is not crazy larger (ie 73mm or bigger). there are still tons of fitments in 5x114.3 but nicer wheels and better wheels to be had in 5x120 territory.

I'm one of the early posters who wondered why the PCD is relevant.
Am I correct that your point is there are BMW and other wheels with 5 x120 PCD?
And these would bolt on to a new NSX with a 5 x 120 PCD?

What is the advantage to putting a BMW 5 x 120 wheel on a new NSX?
Are these BMW wheels forged and with the correct offset for an NSX?
Are they lighter?

Is there an advantage to a wider heavier tire on the new NSX?
Will tire size change the handling characteristics favorably?
How will a larger tire work with the torque vectoring front end?

Last edited:
I'm one of the early posters who wondered why the PCD is relevant.
Am I correct that your point is there are BMW and other wheels with 5 x120 PCD?
And these would bolt on to a new NSX with a 5 x 120 PCD?

What is the advantage to putting a BMW 5 x 120 wheel on a new NSX?
Are these BMW wheels forged and with the correct offset for an NSX?
Are they lighter?

Is there an advantage to a wider heavier tire on the new NSX?
Will tire size change the handling characteristics favorably?
How will a larger tire work with the torque vectoring front end?

Jim,
I think the point here is that - assuming the PCD is 5 x 120 (same as BMW) that this opens up a much bigger variety of wheel options BMW is known for offering a seemingly unlimited number of wheel styles - and I for one think their wheel styles are better than most brands.

I for one am not a a big fan of black/dark wheels which now dominates many new car models. Seems the OEM car manufacturers have joined this trend that the aftermarket wheels makers started. If you are standing next to a black wheel - looks OK - stand back any distance and IMHO the combination of black tire/black wheel makes the wheel well look empty. Stand further back, and it looks like the wheels and tires have been stolen. Now I know this is certainly old school thinking, but I am an old fart...and entitled to have one. Needless to say this trend is making some very nice older style wheel sets available for
cheap prices.

Back