• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leasing

zero in the first year of production. The 2017NSX will be a limited production vehicle. (hundreds - not thousands) (200-800)
Acura will not need to lease any cars. They will all be purchased outright. (probably at a premium)

My guess is that the only way to lease first year cars will be to deal with an external leasing company. If you can set up the lease with them and then provide a check to the dealer, you should be able to get it. The dealer gets their money and you get your lease. Leasing through the dealer is probably going to be a non-option until the demand is satisfied from the people with money up front. Yeah, the dealer and manufacturer make more money on a lease for most cars but trying to figure out the residual on a car like the new NSX is going to be challenging.

My understanding is that IF Acura were to lease the NSX, it would not be a deal whatsoever. I imagine it would be a massive lease payment with a too-high residual.

I am not into leasing.

I did a quick calc on Edmunds.

$175K sticker, $15K to put it on the road, 3 year, 12K miles per year, .00125 money factor, no money down.

$3300 per month before you get to your insurance broker.

I believe the taxes may factor differently across states.

The $3300 would thus be a rough ball park number on a lease.

I am planning to put 20% down and pay for the taxes. My guess is I will have about a $2200 payment for 6 years.

well by using the rough numbers you guys gave and the 175 sticker to own the car after the lease in 3 years would cost 213,300. after the 6 years of financing 193,400.

54% is higher 3-year residual than I would have guessed for a car with so many uncertainties and no comparable resale data. Maybe they are counting on scarcity to maintain value.

I am planning on buying, but if they have a five-year lease with a residual over 42.5% (the number I am using in my 5-year cost of ownership calculations), I would consider it. In California, you pay 9%+ sales tax on the full price of car when you buy it, but get no credit when you sell/trade it. So a lease (even a "single-payment" upfront lease) saves you ~4-5% immediately and gives you the free option of buying the car later. All of this, of course, depends on the residual...

Calculations aside I have to believe resale will be way better than 54% at 3 years.

look at GTRs, gen 1 NSX and LFA pricing. These low production Japanese super car prices have help up great.

for the GTR MSRP increases helped the resale pricing for older cars

the scarcity of the LFA and dealers holding their ground (people in 2016 paying original MSRP for a 2012 car) as an example

a bunch of NSX gen 2 cars will end up in collector garages and dealership displays so the actual volume of cars for resale will be light

there will also be a bunch of gen 1 owners who want to either trade to a newer car or add the next gen to their collection

Calculations aside I have to believe resale will be way better than 54% at 3 years.

look at GTRs, gen 1 NSX and LFA pricing. These low production Japanese super car prices have help up great.

for the GTR MSRP increases helped the resale pricing for older cars

the scarcity of the LFA and dealers holding their ground (people in 2016 paying original MSRP for a 2012 car) as an example

a bunch of NSX gen 2 cars will end up in collector garages and dealership displays so the actual volume of cars for resale will be light

there will also be a bunch of gen 1 owners who want to either trade to a newer car or add the next gen to their collection

I can't help but wonder how price will run in next several years based on GTR. Word I heard was Nissan initially was selling at a loss. It was a super car bargain in the beginning. Who knows and if true who knows how much. Yes Acura has taken much more time which I would associate unplanned loss with the NSX. If so, who knows the costs/losses associated with that?
Though I have to think the MSRP of the NSX ( plus forced ceramic brakes) have made it (too?) high enough help to offset loss to a degree. And the price when compared to alternatives is not pushing the bargain image. Until we have ours and the real production car reviews are out, we won't know if the NSX is considered a semi bargain, up to almost a 918, or not.

Back