• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know the owner/history on this 2000 comptech SC'ed NSX?

First off, apologies if this isn't the right section - I figured there might be a higher hit rate in the regional section as this is a sacramento car and has been a CA car all its life.

Anyways, ever since I sold my '91 (big mistake), I've been pining for another NSX. Been searching passively, but this one jumped out at me: http://www.luxmotorcars.com/2000-Acura-NSX/Used-Car/Sacramento-CA/6742114/Details.aspx

VIN: JH4NA2167YT000121

I'm wary of buying a modded / supercharged car, but this one seems impeccably cared for. I feel like the owner must be on nsxprime?

Just wondering - in the photos the front fenders / hood look to be a slightly different shade, wondering if it was resprayed from an accident or track incident, etc.

Also wondering if this is all CA smog legal, with carb EO tags, and the likes.

If anyone has any information on this car, it'd be hugely appreciated - I'm thinking of going up there tomorrow to trade in my '04 911 C4S for this, but don't want to waste the 2 hour drive if there are any red flags about this car I should know. Hoping for a "buy it and drive it" car, the $8k I had to spend on my last '91 NSX even after a thorough PPI is not something I'm looking forward to repeating.

Thank you nsxprime :)

Last edited:
Don't know the car but both fenders looks like were repainted (which is usually not a good sign)

That's what caught my eye as well. Looks like both fender and hood areas are a different shade in multiple angle photos, so I'm worried about alignment/handling issues especially if the suspension tower areas were affected. Wouldn't that total the car, though?

Thank you for the feedback!

That's what caught my eye as well. Looks like both fender and hood areas are a different shade in multiple angle photos, so I'm worried about alignment/handling issues especially if the suspension tower areas were affected. Wouldn't that total the car, though?

Thank you for the feedback!
Anything is possible, I seen some NSX that were completely crushed in front and then repaired with no blemish on carfax. If I were you, I would get PPI from independent mechanic or dealer that can check bodywork and paint as well. That is a lot of money on the table.

call DA

Since it's a California car, the seller will be responsible for smog before the sale. Would be interesting to have the CARFAX/AutoCheck to see emissions testing history.

Buy it.... So I can see it at the next NorCal meet. But I would not pay 74,000 dollars for this car. Mods are mods and devalue the car no matter who installs it. Plus, what others say, the panel colors are all off. Formula red is the hardest color to match. This car shows a paint job even in dim lighting of all pics. Get it in the sun and I bet it is even more evident. I'd buy it though, just not for 3/4 hundred thousand.

A line in the description said, engine management system. Does it mean it has aftermarket ECU? If it does, it's not carb compliant?

74k asking is a lot for a 40k+miles car. Makes my 2000 CTSC I bought in 2011 a bargain.

Thanks everyone! Definitely good input - considering how much work was done to this car (reputable installer or not), it is a lot of money to ask for such a modified NSX.

Shad was awesome and took some time out of his busy day to give me the details of the car - he's *very* familiar with it and knows the owner well. Owner was super meticulous and anal about the car, and as I expected, everything was done properly with insane attention to detail. Shad's words were "Whatever you can do to an NSX, has been done" about this car. The CTSC is even on a smaller pulley.

The fenders are aftermarket to accomodate the larger wheels, and they were painted off the car so the paint doesn't match - but it wasn't the result of an accident which is great.

But considering just HOW much work was done, I'm afraid of the catastrophic scenario where it would cost me $$$$ and very very specialized knowledge to fix it right. It has an FICS (i think that's what shad called it) controller for the larger aftermarket fuel injectors for the blower. I'd still want to do more work if I got it (reset the pulley to stock ctsc size at least, get fenders repainted, etc), so $75k would just be the admission. And, smog may be a huge pain in the ass as well as it sits (excellent point about the aftermarket ECU/engine management Ric).

Decided to pass on the car, but listing this info here in case future prospective buyers are doing their research. It seems like a VERY well sorted car if you're looking for a heavily modified performance beast without any crazy appearance mods. I'd buy it if I had $75k to throw on a weekend track warrior, but I need a daily'able NSX I can enjoy without worry. I used to DD a lotus elise so the harshness isn't a factor, but the scenario of repair and maintenance do kind of scare me off considering the aftermarket parts and tuning / expert knowledge required.

Will have to keep my eyes open and continue hunting with patience.

Thanks so much, nsxprime!

Last edited:
good feedback.

Well, I've been talking with the dealer and they're willing to knock the price down a bit. They also say the car was just smogged and it passes no problem. I've also been doing some research on AEM+CTSC setups and the consensus is that they're plenty reliable and daily driveable if done right (which I trust shad's quality of work on).

So, I'm kind of considering the car again - but sacramento is a bit far for me (i'm in mountain view CA). I may head up there this weekend, but if anybody is local in sacramento and want to check out / drive the car for me, I'd be happy to treat you to a nice dinner (or send you some compensation over paypal if I pass on the car and don't head up to sac)!! :D

EDIT: well, another hitch, the off-color fenders will be $$$ to paint match as the nsx front bumper is at least 4-5 hours of labor to remove, and the hood, fenders, bumper, all the way to the doors would have to be redone/blended. Looking at a $4-6k job to get it done right, so.. again, passing on the car! sigh... one day I will find my NSX!

Last edited:
This one might be of interest to you. Posted on NSX Owners group. i have the sellers contact and can connect the both of you if interested.

Trying to see what my car is worth. This is not a forsale post. I just wanted to see what other NSX owners think I should ask and realistically get for my car.

Motor was built by owner of Imolamotorsports.com
Car has been tuned and maintained by Fullblownmotorsports.com

I also understand Modded cars might get 20% of their money back on mods. - if their lucky! :)

Info
1995 Acura NSX BBSC (Basch Supercharged)
Vin# JH4NA1182ST000210
61,XXX Miles
Clean Title
No Accidents EVER

Exterior
Original paint (front bumper was professionally re-sprayed for rock chips)
Downforce CF hood painted
Front CF Spec GT front lip
Downforce Stacy Sideskirt
CF Sideskirt Splitters
Rear taitec Diffuser
Downforce NSX-R Wing
Authentic Tommy Kaira Wing
Science of speed towhook
Iforged Aero 18’s Front 215/35 BFgood (tires have 500 miles on them)
Iforged Aero 18’s Rear 275/35 BFgood (tires have 500 miles on them)
John Bazay LED turn signals

Interior/ Electronics
AEM EMS V2
DEFI Link Defi Boost
Defi Oil Temp
Authentic Bride Seats (still have oem black seats)
Momo Steering wheel with release (still have oem wheel with airbag)

Engine
Nitrated 3.0 crank
Forged 9.5:1 JE PistonsTeflon coating on pistons
Custom Pinned sleeves
Billet oil pump
Taitec HeadersTiming belt/waterpump completed on motor build
Fullblownmotorsports Catch Can

Forced Induction
Basch Supercharger ~ 13lbs of boost (420 rwhp)
Polished drive shaft
3 custom pulleys included, 6lbs, 9lbs and 12-14lbs
Upgraded feed and return lines (increases Longetivity of s/c)
550 cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Custom Billet alternator and crank pulley
Tial BOV
NGK heat range 6 plugs (colder)

Transmission
5 speed using 2 part Friction Modified and 1 part syncromesh
Exedy Twin Disk Organic Clutch (less then 1,000 miles) installed by Fullblownmotorsports

Wheels & Brakes
Wilwood Front & Rear Big Brakes
Motul 600
Tein RA Corner balanced

Thanks!

I'm not sure if Aaron sold his car yet but you can ask around. I believe his was a 98, low miles, comptech S/c done by Shad and also has some nice rare usdm/jdm goodies on the car. It is extremely clean as the owner is very anal about his car. His username on here is Coconut and he's in the SJ area.

Well, I've been talking with the dealer and they're willing to knock the price down a bit. They also say the car was just smogged and it passes no problem. I've also been doing some research on AEM+CTSC setups and the consensus is that they're plenty reliable and daily driveable if done right (which I trust shad's quality of work on).

So, I'm kind of considering the car again - but sacramento is a bit far for me (i'm in mountain view CA). I may head up there this weekend, but if anybody is local in sacramento and want to check out / drive the car for me, I'd be happy to treat you to a nice dinner (or send you some compensation over paypal if I pass on the car and don't head up to sac)!! :D

EDIT: well, another hitch, the off-color fenders will be $$$ to paint match as the nsx front bumper is at least 4-5 hours of labor to remove, and the hood, fenders, bumper, all the way to the doors would have to be redone/blended. Looking at a $4-6k job to get it done right, so.. again, passing on the car! sigh... one day I will find my NSX!
Pulling the bumper is easy. I can remove fenders and the bumper in 1.5 hours. You do need to remove the rocker panels/side skirts though. I'd offer them 60 k firm or 65 k with panels painted already.

Pulling the bumper is easy. I can remove fenders and the bumper in 1.5 hours. You do need to remove the rocker panels/side skirts though. I'd offer them 60 k firm or 65 k with panels painted already.

Thank you Jinks! They've knocked the price down a bit to $70k and guaranteed the repaint to have colors matched indistinguishably from the eye - labor would be done at one of the body/paint shops locally. They also offered a very fair value for my C4S trade in (I've shopped it around at dealers from curiosity, even at SHIFT, and the most I ever was offered was $25k (shift offered $28k), lux motors is offering $30k which I feel is fair)

I've been doing more digging, and specifically this car's mods that concern me are: CTSC (old style whipple 1600, not the autorotor), AEM FICs piggyback system, custom diameter pulley to push about 8psi (so, close to the comptech "high-boost" grey kit that does 9psi), and larger aftermarket injectors (not sure on CCs/flow rates). On top of that it has the 4.44 OS giken r&p LSD installed with a rebuilt transmission.

People seem to say you can run around 400rwhp and stay somewhat reliable but after that you're pushing it, and it sounds like this setup comes in around 400-420rwhp depending on dyno and tuning. (surprisingly, this thing just passed smog with flying colors).

Does this still sound like it could make a fun but more importantly a reliable daily driver with the once or twice per year track day thrown in? (reliability is key as fun in an NSX is pretty much guaranteed in any config) Or should I be conservative and if I get this car, knock it back down to the stock ~6psi pulley? Will that require a new FICS tune, or just a pulley and belt install?

So many questions, which is why I'm hesitant to drop the cash at the moment, but if all the stars line up this and this car is what it promises it is, it could be a pretty epic find....

Really appreciate everyone's feedback so far, thank you prime!

Last edited:
The FIC and injectors are a benefit to reliability and safety compared to a base CTSC. The difference to an Autorotor blower could mean higher intake temps but that will really only matter in nonstreet conditions. I would recommend adding water spray for cooling and there are a few approaches to that.

Turning down boost with a new pulley seems beneficial if you don't care about the power. Whether or not you need a retune depends on how it was tuned initially. It seems to me that it can be a bit tricky (time consuming) to tune a positive-displacement SC below max boost so it can take time to optimize those partial-load conditions. Logging data during various driving conditions can be very helpful. That's why I think having data logging that includes AFR is important.

Adding AFR logging was my first move with my 2000 CTSC car. It helped me immediately diagnose a faulty connection to the fuel-pump voltage booster, then shortly later a failing fuel pump, and then after adding the FIC has been critical to dialing in the tune. Zeitronix, as recommended by ddozier.

Last edited:
^^^What he said. Properly sized injectors and advancing/retarding timing is better for the motor with the fic.
I wouldn't worry too much with an 8 psi pulley. My off the shelf kit hits that sometimes in cooler dense air.
Once you drive it, there is no going back home without it.:cool: It is nice to have a modified motor, pull into a smog station, and have zero worry of passing or not. Then driving it home fully registered. That is a big plus.

I would retune it if you choose to buy it. Different factors affect the tune that was in there before and it would be a good idea to bring it back to Shad to have it checked out. Plus he's in the area anyway.

Well, I went up and looked at this NSX today. It drove fantastically well. No noise/binding/clunking from the OS giken LSD I've read about. loved the whine of the CTSC. pulled like a beast. Had a short shifter on it which didn't ruin the experience at all, but enhanced it. the power steering felt way too light from what I remembered on my manual rack'ed 91 (i loved that weight), but from what I hear you can just pull the EPS fuse or power/ground and go back to a manual unassisted rack. Was feeling pretty good about the car, had the funds ready to go and was pending an inspection by Jim Russell...

.. then I saw these (see attached). absolutely ruined the looks of the interior for me (on top of the amp placed behind the driver's seat). I thought about buying, and replacing the door panel myself, but sonsacura.com has each door panel listed for $2050. So the p/o had holes drilled into $4k worth of interior parts to place these ugly warts... not my cup of tea :( am I crazy / being unrealistic in letting these tweeters deter me from an NSX i otherwise enjoyed driving?

EDIT: oh - also, the floormat and the carpet under the passenger side glovebox was slightly damp. couldn't tell if it was washed/shampooed recently, but my hands didn't smell like coolant after patting it down - just slightly like old carpet-water. is this an issue? leaking heater core for instance? is this common on a 2000 NSX with 46k miles?

L1002456.jpg

Last edited:
Yes definitely some ugly tweets going on there. If I can make a suggestion, cars like this do not come up often.
As I said before, when you drive it, you'll be hooked. I freaking love my ctsc and the sweet noises it makes.
I think you should buy it after they negotiate. But negotiate hard. A car like this speaks to 1 certain kind of market and not the other way around. Bargain hard, if they don't fold, walk away and wait for them to call...
Lastly, ask Shad to do a inspection. He'll know exactly what to look for and probably has used door panels in his stack of parts. He hooked me up with some discontinued parts from Acura when he did my sc install.

Last edited:
Yes definitely some ugly tweets going on there. If I can make a suggestion, cars like this do not come up often.
As I said before, when you drive it, you'll be hooked. I freaking love my ctsc and the sweet noises it makes.
I think you should buy it after they negotiate. But negotiate hard. A car like this speaks to 1 certain kind of market and not the other way around. Bargain hard, if they don't fold, walk away and wait for them to call...

Thanks Jinks - you are correct, I did drive this NSX today and I was hooked. The supercharger whine on top of the V6 through headers/exhaust, it was glorious. Intoxicating. Addictive. I could listen to it all day. The car felt raw and telepathic like my old lotus elise, had the grunt, torque and pull of my previous corvette stingray, and it was balanced/nimble/planted the way my wife's boxster S is. But it does all this simultaneously while retaining the excellent driving position, panoramic view, and ergonomics/fit and finish of an NSX.

It's perfect, which is why the ugly tweeter just destroyed what could be heaven! But a friend suggested I can pop the tweeter out and replace it with a less ugly, flat, more discreet tweeter, which I think is a good compromise.

Negotiating with the dealers now (you're right about the market, it's been on their lot for a little over a month), and I have Jim Russell heading up there this Saturday for an inspection. If Jim gives me the thumbs up, the deal is done, my funds are all ready to go, and I'll be driving up the next day to take delivery.

Will post in this thread if I end up getting it - now I'm kind of afraid that since I've put all this info out here, somebody will pop out there and buy it out from under me! haha.

Last edited:
Thanks Jinks - you are correct, I did drive this NSX today and I was hooked. The supercharger whine on top of the V6 through headers/exhaust, it was glorious. Intoxicating. Addictive. I could listen to it all day. The car felt raw and telepathic like my old lotus elise, had the grunt, torque and pull of my previous corvette stingray, and its balanced/nimble/planted the way my wife's boxster S is. But it does all this simultaneously while retaining the excellent driving position, panoramic view, and ergonomics/fit and finish of an NSX.

It's perfect, which is why the ugly tweeter just destroyed what could be heaven! But a friend suggested I can pop the tweeter out and replace it with a less ugly, flat, more discreet tweeter, which I think is a good compromise.

Negotiating with the dealers now (you're right about the market, it's been on their lot for a little over a month), and I have Jim Russell heading up there this Saturday for an inspection. If Jim gives me the thumbs up, the deal is done, my funds are all ready to go, and I'll be driving up the next day to take delivery.

Will post in this thread if I end up getting it - now I'm kind of afraid that since I've put all this info out here, somebody will pop out there and buy it out from under me! haha.
Awesome. I am excited to see you turn around your worst mistake ever. This car looks freakin clean under the hatch.
Good luck to you. I hope you snag it for a great deal!

Best wishes for a good purchase at a reasonable price. Giving up this car for the tweeter is like turning down Marilyn Monroe for a wart on her back.

This one might be of interest to you. Posted on NSX Owners group. i have the sellers contact and can connect the both of you if interested.

Trying to see what my car is worth. This is not a forsale post. I just wanted to see what other NSX owners think I should ask and realistically get for my car.

Motor was built by owner of Imolamotorsports.com
Car has been tuned and maintained by Fullblownmotorsports.com

I also understand Modded cars might get 20% of their money back on mods. - if their lucky! :)

Info
1995 Acura NSX BBSC (Basch Supercharged)
Vin# JH4NA1182ST000210
61,XXX Miles
Clean Title
No Accidents EVER

Exterior
Original paint (front bumper was professionally re-sprayed for rock chips)
Downforce CF hood painted
Front CF Spec GT front lip
Downforce Stacy Sideskirt
CF Sideskirt Splitters
Rear taitec Diffuser
Downforce NSX-R Wing
Authentic Tommy Kaira Wing
Science of speed towhook
Iforged Aero 18’s Front 215/35 BFgood (tires have 500 miles on them)
Iforged Aero 18’s Rear 275/35 BFgood (tires have 500 miles on them)
John Bazay LED turn signals

Interior/ Electronics
AEM EMS V2
DEFI Link Defi Boost
Defi Oil Temp
Authentic Bride Seats (still have oem black seats)
Momo Steering wheel with release (still have oem wheel with airbag)

Engine
Nitrated 3.0 crank
Forged 9.5:1 JE PistonsTeflon coating on pistons
Custom Pinned sleeves
Billet oil pump
Taitec HeadersTiming belt/waterpump completed on motor build
Fullblownmotorsports Catch Can

Forced Induction
Basch Supercharger ~ 13lbs of boost (420 rwhp)
Polished drive shaft
3 custom pulleys included, 6lbs, 9lbs and 12-14lbs
Upgraded feed and return lines (increases Longetivity of s/c)
550 cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Custom Billet alternator and crank pulley
Tial BOV
NGK heat range 6 plugs (colder)

Transmission
5 speed using 2 part Friction Modified and 1 part syncromesh
Exedy Twin Disk Organic Clutch (less then 1,000 miles) installed by Fullblownmotorsports

Wheels & Brakes
Wilwood Front & Rear Big Brakes
Motul 600
Tein RA Corner balanced

Thanks!

Car is live on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-NSX/3...14840b1&pid=100278&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=222018078693

Back