• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know the owner/history on this 2000 comptech SC'ed NSX?

cars with blowers don't bother me as long as there is no shortcuts and is well maintained.

If it was me i would just have a compression test done and that would be the end of the story.

BTW, have u checked on here? https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorCalNSX/

Oh nice.... we are neighbors since I live in Los Altos Hills.

cars with blowers don't bother me as long as there is no shortcuts and is well maintained.

If it was me i would just have a compression test done and that would be the end of the story.

BTW, have u checked on here? https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorCalNSX/

Oh nice.... we are neighbors since I live in Los Altos Hills.

Hey man! yeah, you sent me a message on FB a week ago about getting an old/stale message from me about norcalNSX!

I left the group once I sold my NSX (I'm not worthy!) but it looks like I may have to rejoin soon if things work out. :)

BTW, I saw you a few months ago cruising down El Camino near rengstorff ave. :) Hard to miss ya, would love to ask you about FI'ed NSXes one of these days!

Hey man! yeah, you sent me a message on FB a week ago about getting an old/stale message from me about norcalNSX!

I left the group once I sold my NSX (I'm not worthy!) but it looks like I may have to rejoin soon if things work out. :)

BTW, I saw you a few months ago cruising down El Camino near rengstorff ave. :) Hard to miss ya, would love to ask you about FI'ed NSXes one of these days!

Yea, hit me up. I can take u for a ride in the NSX and we can talk......

Just wanted to update everyone and future searchers for this car and close this thread out.

Unfortunately, I didn't end up buying the car - Jim Russell went up there with me to inspect the car and it was worth EVERY PENNY (the cost of Jim, not the NSX). I'll write some notes down in case others are looking at this car and search for the VIN.

Good:
1) No accidents, solid body, solid mechanicals, and mods have been installed well and cleanly
2) Jim ran a scanner while it started, idled, revved, etc. fuel trims look good and everything switches like it's supposed to.
3) Front bumper was once removed early on in its life, but it was placed back "skillfully" according to Jim - they're difficult to get right and he was impressed by the handiwork of the shop.

Bad:
1) Clunking/rattling noise in the front suspension. Likely something loose, very easy to fix.
2) Front glove box has a tear in the finish.
3) Big one - passenger side seat binds when moving forward close to the top of travel and clicks. Jim says this happens when the motors get out of phase, often when seats are removed, then re-installed without matching the motor phases correctly. This guy likely had racing seats installed in here, then sold them separately and put them back to stock for sale.
4) Headlight covers/housing have holes drilled in them, likely had HIDs installed. Again, hids were removed and bulbs are stock - so likely had hids and were removed and sold separately prior to listing this car.
5) Passenger floormats are a little damp. Maybe a plugged a/c condensation drip line? Nope. The firewall grommet and door wiring grommets were cut badly to get the stereo wiring to fit through it, and this is where water was leaking in from.
6) Speaking of which - pulling back the passenger side footwell carpet revealed a fat JL audio subwoofer. Huge turnoff for me.
7) Rear bulkhead behind passenger seat is cracked and loose - and has a wire sticking out of it running into another loose/cracked door sill trim. Likely due to the AEM FICs unit.
8) Missing trim pieces - one of the round flush bolt covers under the wing, some retainers for the wheel well fender liner, few others I can't recall ATM.
9) Cracked lower door lining trim on the passenger side
10) And of course, door panels have ugly tweeters drilled into them. It's about $2000 per door to get the trim/panel replaced.
11) During driving, 2nd gear is iffy - is super notchy and hard to get into especially when downshifting from 3rd. Possibly a sign it was abused and slammed into 2nd for street races, or track duty? Or a bad rebuild, as the transmission was rebuilt recently along with the 4.44 short ratio gears it seems.
12) driver's side window weather stripping separating from the frame. easy fix.
13) Slow windows on both sides
14) Timing belt / WP were last done in 2010, so it's coming up on the 7 year service period, so that's more $$$ to consider.
15) clutch master cylinder is leaking.

But, the showstopper:
- When the dealer said it passes smog, it's because they were smogging in sacramento county. Jim mentioned they run an unenhanced scan - just a quick visual and sniffer test. Out where I live they do an enhanced scan where it goes on a dyno, and he was pretty sure it would fail that, even if it somehow passed the visual and the tech didn't catch the aftermarket fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator (which are not carb legal).

Couldn't believe how thorough Jim was. I had the funds all ready and in my excitement was ready to pull the trigger! I drove home pretty disappointed, but relieved and pretty happy for what Jim did for me. He saved me quite a bit of money and headache down the road, imo.

But alas - the hunt continues. I've got a couple leads I'm chasing, will keep everyone posted. :) I even harassed a poor guy and his girlfriend/wife at the whole foods parking lot today to see if he'd sell his black NSX (turns out he's on prime! [MENTION=31645]Lude_2_NSX[/MENTION]). As for this red one - TL;DR is "good bones, but proceed with caution"

Last edited:
4.44 is fast..... but if that was on my car my right arm would need full time fast twitch muscles.

I still want a ride in your NSX btw, and the goat too! I'm chasing a lead on a stock black '96 NSX right now, if I end up getting that, you, [MENTION=4535]Yawwn[/MENTION] and I should all meet up for lunch!

Just wanted to update everyone and future searchers for this car and close this thread out.

Unfortunately, I didn't end up buying the car - Jim Russell went up there with me to inspect the car and it was worth EVERY PENNY (the cost of Jim, not the NSX). I'll write some notes down in case others are looking at this car and search for the VIN.

Good:
1) No accidents, solid body, solid mechanicals, and mods have been installed well and cleanly
2) Jim ran a scanner while it started, idled, revved, etc. fuel trims look good and everything switches like it's supposed to.
3) Front bumper was once removed early on in its life, but it was placed back "skillfully" according to Jim - they're difficult to get right and he was impressed by the handiwork of the shop.

Bad:
1) Clunking/rattling noise in the front suspension. Likely something loose, very easy to fix.
2) Front glove box has a tear in the finish.
3) Big one - passenger side seat binds when moving forward close to the top of travel and clicks. Jim says this happens when the motors get out of phase, often when seats are removed, then re-installed without matching the motor phases correctly. This guy likely had racing seats installed in here, then sold them separately and put them back to stock for sale.
4) Headlight covers/housing have holes drilled in them, likely had HIDs installed. Again, hids were removed and bulbs are stock - so likely had hids and were removed and sold separately prior to listing this car.
5) Passenger floormats are a little damp. Maybe a plugged a/c condensation drip line? Nope. The firewall grommet and door wiring grommets were cut badly to get the stereo wiring to fit through it, and this is where water was leaking in from.
6) Speaking of which - pulling back the passenger side footwell carpet revealed a fat JL audio subwoofer. Huge turnoff for me.
7) Rear bulkhead behind passenger seat is cracked and loose - and has a wire sticking out of it running into another loose/cracked door sill trim. Likely due to the AEM FICs unit.
8) Missing trim pieces - one of the round flush bolt covers under the wing, some retainers for the wheel well fender liner, few others I can't recall ATM.
9) Cracked lower door lining trim on the passenger side
10) And of course, door panels have ugly tweeters drilled into them. It's about $2000 per door to get the trim/panel replaced.
11) During driving, 2nd gear is iffy - is super notchy and hard to get into especially when downshifting from 3rd. Possibly a sign it was abused and slammed into 2nd for street races, or track duty? Or a bad rebuild, as the transmission was rebuilt recently along with the 4.44 short ratio gears it seems.
12) driver's side window weather stripping separating from the frame. easy fix.
13) Slow windows on both sides
14) Timing belt / WP were last done in 2010, so it's coming up on the 7 year service period, so that's more $$$ to consider.
15) clutch master cylinder is leaking.

But, the showstopper:
- When the dealer said it passes smog, it's because they were smogging in sacramento county. Jim mentioned they run an unenhanced scan - just a quick visual and sniffer test. Out where I live they do an enhanced scan where it goes on a dyno, and he was pretty sure it would fail that, even if it somehow passed the visual and the tech didn't catch the aftermarket fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator (which are not carb legal).

Couldn't believe how thorough Jim was. I had the funds all ready and in my excitement was ready to pull the trigger! I drove home pretty disappointed, but relieved and pretty happy for what Jim did for me. He saved me quite a bit of money and headache down the road, imo.

But alas - the hunt continues. I've got a couple leads I'm chasing, will keep everyone posted. :) I even harassed a poor guy and his girlfriend/wife at the whole foods parking lot today to see if he'd sell his black NSX (turns out he's on prime! @Lude_2_NSX). As for this red one - TL;DR is "good bones, but proceed with caution"
Well that stinks. But the wet carpet, that would be a deal breaker. Especially the cost they are trying to sell this car for.

Curious, did you ever pick this car up? I see its still up for sale so assuming you didn't, but wondering if that leak turned out to be more serious.

Whoa, looks like the red CTSC'ed one sold as it is no longer on the dealer's page! Or maybe they have it out to get the things Jim found fixed (though doubtful). Wonder who bought it - hope they pop up on prime. :)

The motor looked so damn clean on that car.It doesn't make much sense that the carpeting was all wet though.

Whoa, looks like the red CTSC'ed one sold as it is no longer on the dealer's page! Or maybe they have it out to get the things Jim found fixed (though doubtful). Wonder who bought it - hope they pop up on prime. :)

Or the owner took it back home, since it was on consignment.

But alas - the hunt continues. I've got a couple leads I'm chasing, will keep everyone posted. :) I even harassed a poor guy and his girlfriend/wife at the whole foods parking lot today to see if he'd sell his black NSX (turns out he's on prime! @Lude_2_NSX). As for this red one - TL;DR is "good bones, but proceed with caution"

Haha, not a bother at all. I always enjoy meeting fellow enthusiasts! I'm glad to see you finally found the one! Maybe ill see you again in Los Altos (my gf's parents live right by the whole foods there). Happy motoring!

Back