• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Budget 02+ ABS conversion

Excellent. I hope you can work out the traction control issue as well. I like to keep the car closest to factory as possible even though I am boosted. Absolutely stunning work though, it must take great patience. Very well done syndicate.

Put me down for a plug n play kit as well.

Thanks for all your incredible work on creating a inexpensive way to upgrade our ABS!
Please add me to your P&P kit list.

I just bought an S 2000 ABS unit but I'm wondering how you go about purging the system?
My plan was to install the hydraulics in a first phase and the electrics later on when your kit is ready.

I would like to mention that you should perform this swap AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! I am not a certified Honda Engineer. The system was designed to fulfill a purpose for myself and Hondadreams. Although the system appears to work perfectly for us, (no ABS lights, the pedal vibrates like my other cars when you slam on the brakes and the ABS engages) you are responsible for doing your own homework to determine if using this ABS system is "safe". Please understand that other than slamming on the brakes to purposely engage the ABS system, checking for leaks (brake fluid) and verifying that the ABS light comes on at startup and then shuts off after a few seconds, there has been NO other testing. I drive my NSX all the time and it operates as it always has only now I have a working ABS system (as I feel it should work). I am, in no way, responsible for any damage, injury, death, fines, or sadness caused by anything relating to this system, kit, harness or whatever you want to call the topic of this thread. That being said, I am still waiting on plugs to be shipped to me for prototyping.

If the regular NSX and the NSX-R have different ABS units this is for a reason. They are calibrated differently. I'd be a bit wary using and ABS unit calibrated for a front engined car on a mid-engined car. The whole brake balance is completely different. I'm not sure of the criteria or program for an ABS unit other than it's supposed to avoid lock-up and allow steering control but I'm not sure mixing and matching physically interchangeable units is wise?

Last edited:
I would like to mention that you should perform this swap AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! I am not a certified Honda Engineer. The system was designed to fulfill a purpose for myself and Hondadreams. Although the system appears to work perfectly for us, (no ABS lights, the pedal vibrates like my other cars when you slam on the brakes and the ABS engages) you are responsible for doing your own homework to determine if using this ABS system is "safe". Please understand that other than slamming on the brakes to purposely engage the ABS system, checking for leaks (brake fluid) and verifying that the ABS light comes on at startup and then shuts off after a few seconds, there has been NO other testing. I drive my NSX all the time and it operates as it always has only now I have a working ABS system (as I feel it should work). I am, in no way, responsible for any damage, injury, death, fines, or sadness caused by anything relating to this system, kit, harness or whatever you want to call the topic of this thread. That being said, I am still waiting on plugs to be shipped to me for prototyping.

Don't worry Syndicate, we don't have half as many lawyers here in France.
In any case it will be far less dangerous to upgrade to an S 2000 ABS than to keep our old system going.
I personally did the "warren" maintenance on my system and during my last track day one of my front wheels locked up in the rain at close to 200 km/h...
Luckily there was an escape area where I finally managed to stop the car.
Since then I drive the car with the ABS fuse removed.
At least I know what to expect!
Coming back to the S2000 ABS, do we need to buy the " valve assy proportionning" unit?
Also, will you include in your kit the S to Z brakes pipes?

I wasn't planning on supplying the hardlines, pump or pump bracket as I got my pump from a junkyard for $85.
You can buy the kit from SOS (less the pump and wiring harness) or purchase from a local dealer. You will need the 02+ NSX rear proportioning valve. If I am not mistaken, SOS sells their kits with new brake lines running to the front calipers. I did not want to run such a large hardline through the under hood area so I gently bent my 91 lines into place.

Woops lol. I meant front engined!! Edited my post :)

No worries. I was just giving you a hard time. I guess I don't believe the differences between the pumps are that profound. I'm not sure that I would notice the differences between the 02+ NSX, NSX type R or the S2000 abs pumps. Besides, anything is better than that 91 pump.

To me, it's a cost thing. $3000 for the subtle differences of the newer NSX pump versus the roughly $300-$400 I spent to get the S2000 stuff working is a no brainer....for me...who couldn't afford it.

Last edited:
You mentioned an aftermarket ECU would be required. I have the Spoon Sports ECU. Would that work?

No worries. I was just giving you a hard time. I guess I don't believe the differences between the pumps are that profound. I'm not sure that I would notice the differences between the 02+ NSX, NSX type R or the S2000 abs pumps. Besides, anything is better than that 91 pump.

To me, it's a cost thing. $3000 for the subtle differences of the newer NSX pump versus the roughly $300-$400 I spent to get the S2000 stuff working is a no brainer....for me...who can't afford it.

I discussed this upgrade with my Honda dealer.
In fact all ABS units are sourced from Bosch according to him.
There are most probably differences in the firmware onboard the ABS controller to cater for different vehicles.
A very good article about how the ABS behaves can be found on the StopTech site.
Well worth reading I believe.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/abs-and-big-brake-kits

[MENTION=24013]syndicate[/MENTION]
I might need to jump on this train. After I bolted on a new exhaust and lowered the car I took it for a spin today. The damn abs pump would not shut up approaching every stop sign prior to warm up. I am about to pull the damn abs relay and the abs light from the cluster. Out of sight out of Mind.

@syndicate
I might need to jump on this train. After I bolted on a new exhaust and lowered the car I took it for a spin today. The damn abs pump would not shut up approaching every stop sign prior to warm up. I am about to pull the damn abs relay and the abs light from the cluster. Out of sight out of Mind.
That modulator can be fixed, rebuilt. read this entire thread...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/162710-ABS-ALB-modulator-rebuild-write-up/page2

Yes! I have seen your extremely thorough and awesome thread Warren. I just need to find one of those brake bleeder tools. I have already flushed brake lines and abs reservoir but it seems the colder the weather, the more the pump runs to build pressure. Maybe one day I will take this on soon. After doing this, does the pump still run at first take off from the garage? Sorry for asking all this here to syndicate's thread but I guess it is still on topic right?

I'm looking at the S2000 pumps on ebay, and I'm seeing ridiculously low prices....$30? Am I looking at the correct pumps?

AP1: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AP1-Honda-S...ash=item35f798a803:g:zrMAAOSwhkRWcyEb&vxp=mtr

AP2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-S2000...ash=item35fc2a4651:g:j6kAAOSwzgRW12Gd&vxp=mtr

Not sure how I missed your post. Looks right to me. I purchased mine from a junkyard for 85. You will still need to get the mounting bracket for it (s2000 abs mounting bracket).

Yes! I have seen your extremely thorough and awesome thread Warren. I just need to find one of those brake bleeder tools. I have already flushed brake lines and abs reservoir but it seems the colder the weather, the more the pump runs to build pressure. Maybe one day I will take this on soon. After doing this, does the pump still run at first take off from the garage? Sorry for asking all this here to syndicate's thread but I guess it is still on topic right?

Talk to [MENTION=31107]Scrapdog2grand[/MENTION] or [email protected] for a solenoid exercising harness

You mentioned an aftermarket ECU would be required. I have the Spoon Sports ECU. Would that work?

My system will work on any setup, OEM or aftermarket, but you might have a TCS light, CEL or you could have a limp mode condition. The NSX TCS ecu is looking for signals from the factory abs ecu, which you will remove. I would imagine that not seeing those signals will trip the TCS light or could put the car in limp mode. You can test it by unplugging the factory abs ecu (behind the glovebox with 2 orange plugs) and take a spin. See how the car reacts. The lights should go away when you plug it back in. I wish I had a car to experiment with that still has the oem stuff on it. I have been wanting to try this with [MENTION=22168]LoveNSXs[/MENTION].

Ooh... I thought you were referring to the engine ECU. I should have realized that you are referring to the ABS ECU. What aftermarket ECU should I consider, and where would I buy it? Sorry for the noob questions.

Back