• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Budget 02+ ABS conversion

I'll try not to be a Debbie Downer since I really think the resourcefulness is really amazing on this thread! But before I sign off.. Please do understand that these modules are significantly different from each other. The key is in the programming, not so much the hardware.

Any updates on the plug and play harness?

The last piece of the puzzle that is missing is the s2k abs module plug. I cannot find them cheap. I can get them but it requires a minimum buy of 100. At $15 a piece, that's too much. But you can source the plug from RSXs and civics. I got mine from a 2005 civic at the junk yard. I have everything else. Feel free to send me a cut harness and I can start prototyping.

I should comment on the non believers. I understand that it is not the correct equipment for the car. The argument that the bias isn't correct should only matter if the car is 100% stock. If the wheels have been changed or if the suspension isn't oem the bias will be different anyway. I have a local 02 NSX that I can compare stopping distances with. I will post results. My point is that we can all agree that the oem 91 NSX abs is no where near as good as this budget setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last piece of the puzzle that is missing is the s2k abs module plug. I cannot find them cheap. I can get them but it requires a minimum buy of 100. At $15 a piece, that's too much. But you can source the plug from RSXs and civics. I got mine from a 2005 civic at the junk yard. I have everything else. Feel free to send me a cut harness and I can start prototyping.

I should comment on the non believers. I understand that it is not the correct equipment for the car. The argument that the bias isn't correct should only matter if the car is 100% stock. If the wheels have been changed or if the suspension isn't oem the bias will be different anyway. I have a local 02 NSX that I can compare stopping distances with. I will post results. My point is that we can all agree that the oem 91 NSX abs is no where near as good as this budget setup.

Hope this project materialize. I can't wait to replace my dead antique abs system :)

did you manage to do a comparison?

Ok, so we did a few (5) test stops in a large, empty parking lot near my house. The system worked great and I am pleased to mention that each test showed my car (s2000 setup) stopping several feet before his. 10 feet was the largest spread and 1 foot was the shortest. All tests were performed at 40-42 mph and every test forced abs engagement for the entire stop. I can attribute the stopping advantage I have to slotted rotors and hawk pads versus his oem 2002 setup. If I had the original rotors and oem pads, I imagine we would be dead even. We did not do any test stops at higher speeds due to safety and lack of room. I hope this helps to alleviate some concerns about the s2000 versus NSX ABS systems.

I can do it now, but you would need to source the abs plug that plugs directly into the s2000 module. You can get them from a junk yard off of early 2000s civics and RSXs. Let me know if you want to send me one.

This is great news! How do we start the process? I already have the abs unit from an s2000. Do you happen to have the part no. for the abs plug or the year and model of civics and rsx? Does s2000 abs plugs works too? Thanks :)

Definitely the s2000 plug will work, but also any plug should work that looks like this:
b6f4c7ae5d4d1df49ffa9de66f59b09a.jpg

So looks like we are getting close to being able to piece this "kit" together. What's the estimated cost on all this?

So looks like we are getting close to being able to piece this "kit" together. What's the estimated cost on all this?

At this point, I am just prototyping. If I were to provide anything, it would be the harness for the inside and outside of the car. You would need to source the abs pump, mounting bracket, lines and proportioning valve. Also, the s2000 style abs plug is discontinued so you would need to get me one of those from a junk yard as well. They aren't that hard to find as they were used on civics and RSXs. I estimate around 300 for all the parts I need to source and to make the harness.

Last edited:
I've sourced parts (mostly from eBay) that syndicate listed in post #15. What I've spent so far:

'02 S2000 abs pump w/ mounting bracket - $25 used
'02 S2000 cut abs harness - $10 used
Crydom DC60S3-B solid state relay - $20 new

Getting ready to place an online order for the OEM 2000+ proportioning valve and nine hard brake lines (pipes) which run just over $200 before shipping. One of the brake lines (46376-SL0-D01, PIPE W, BRAKE) appears to run the width underneath the hood so the cost of shipping increases significantly just for that item; I am hoping to pickup that part from a local dealer instead.

[MENTION=32138]kennyvb[/MENTION] that is insanely budget compared to the OEM 02+ abs kit. Even if you over compensate a little bit, it is still well under.

I've sourced parts (mostly from eBay) that syndicate listed in post #15. What I've spent so far:

'02 S2000 abs pump w/ mounting bracket - $25 used
'02 S2000 cut abs harness - $10 used
Crydom DC60S3-B solid state relay - $20 new

Getting ready to place an online order for the OEM 2000+ proportioning valve and nine hard brake lines (pipes) which run just over $200 before shipping. One of the brake lines (46376-SL0-D01, PIPE W, BRAKE) appears to run the width underneath the hood so the cost of shipping increases significantly just for that item; I am hoping to pickup that part from a local dealer instead.

I purchased the long hard line and never used it. I just reused my front abs lines. They will need to be bent slightly.

@kennyvb that is insanely budget compared to the OEM 02+ abs kit. Even if you over compensate a little bit, it is still well under.

No doubt. I am looking forward to being able to replace the antiquated unit on '91 without breaking the bank.

I purchased the long hard line and never used it. I just reused my front abs lines. They will need to be bent slightly.

Hmm. Good to know. Do you know which lines (of 12 through 20 in the schematic) are absolutely necessary to be purchased new if I'm willing to do the same?

Decoding the brake line schematic is proving to be a challenge as you mentioned.

Hmm. Good to know. Do you know which lines (of 12 through 20 in the schematic) are absolutely necessary to be purchased new if I'm willing to do the same?

Decoding the brake line schematic is proving to be a challenge as you mentioned.

You only need the two lines from the master cylinder, the two rear lines FROM the abs pump TO the proportioning valve and the two rear lines FROM the proportioning valve TO the junction block. I deciphered that chart years ago. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Great, thanks. This is what I'm seeing for the hard lines. Need confirmation/clarification if this looks right.

xj0SfFV.gif

XXeTb6m.jpg

Item 13 46372-SL0-D00 PIPE S - ABS module to (rear bottom?) proportioning valve

Item 14 46373-SL0-D00 PIPE T - ABS module to (front bottom?) proportioning valve
Item 15 46374-SL0-D00 PIPE U - ABS module to (front) brake master cylinder (existing, B-24)
Item 16 46375-SL0-D00 PIPE V - ABS module to (rear) brake master cylinder (existing, B-24)
Item 17 46376-SL0-D01 PIPE W - ABS module to right front brake
Item 18 46377-SL0-D01 PIPE X - ABS module to left front brake

F9nCiRQ.jpg

Item 19 46378-SL0-D00 PIPE Y - (rear top?) proportioning valve to 6-way valve (existing, item 38)
Item 20 46379-SL0-D01 PIPE Z - (front top?) proportioning valve to 6-way valve (existing, item 38)

I think you have 19 and 20 swapped on the P valve.

Correction,...your valve is labeled wrong for the front and back. The bolt hole should be towards the front of the car and the bolt enters the hole from the driver's side. In your picture (and per the Honda diagram if I am reading it right) the valve should be labeled clockwise from top left to bottom left is:
20, 19, 13, 14

Last edited:
I have some developments. I found that the ABS plug from the S2k (the one that I cannot get new) is also found on 02-05 civics, accords, RSXs and S2ks. The s2k plug obviously works without modification but the accord one needs a wire moved. I will post diagrams when I have time. At this point it should also be mentioned that I have not researched any other pump but the first gen s2000s. If you are doing this swap yourself, please compare to the s2000 for differences. I have also prototyped a harness. I am not a vendor yet, but please let me know if you are interested in this thread.

I think you have 19 and 20 swapped on the P valve.

Correction,...your valve is labeled wrong for the front and back. The bolt hole should be towards the front of the car and the bolt enters the hole from the driver's side. In your picture (and per the Honda diagram if I am reading it right) the valve should be labeled clockwise from top left to bottom left is:
20, 19, 13, 14

I see what you're saying on the Honda diagram. I wonder if it's depicted incorrectly (or maybe for a RHD vehicle) because I just ran across this picture of an 02 unit (courtesy of [MENTION=24263]mike2la[/MENTION])

UCAfHDu.jpg

Back