• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Budget 02+ ABS conversion

Hello Prime!

Several years ago, I set out to replace my non-functional boat anchor ABS system from my 91. I was able to get an Integra pump in there but it was not fully functional. After some help from Luis (Hondadreams), there is a working alternative that we are both running:
2002 S2000 pump.

I was able to do the entire swap for around $300. This included the newer NSX brake lines, new 02+ NSX proportioning valve, a used S2000 pump, a used S2000 ABS pump mounting bracket and some other cheap components. This mod is reversible, gets rid of quite a bit of weight and is cheap.

My ABS light works as it should and the car actually reacts like a normal car now when the wheels lock up. The only issue is the traction control. Currently, it is not compatible with this ABS pump and thus can only be used in cars with the oem traction control removed (i.e. Aftermarket ecu). The install is pretty easy if you can follow diagrams in the service manual and have basic wrenching skills.

In the other conversion kits, you have to run a large wire harness from behind the glovebox to the abs pump. I only ran 2 wires from the inside of the car to the abs module. (This thread is not meant to take anything away from any vendor that sells a conversion kit, rather offer an alternative option for people who are on a budget.)

I will upload a picture when I get home from work.

Last edited:
I remember speaking with you about this a few years ago when Nico mentioned it. I'm glad things are figured out and can't wait to see the pictures!

- - - Updated - - -

Does it matter what year s2000? I know there are slight changes but not sure if the abs units vary.

80635f7a2800678f8a52bba5399f87a0.jpg

27e9c869421c9a088e8e525551b5bcf3.jpg

One of these is the S2000 and the other is the 02+ conversion. Might be obvious, but you can see how similar they are.

I can probably do a write up, but it might take a bit as I'm swamped for a while.

80635f7a2800678f8a52bba5399f87a0.jpg

27e9c869421c9a088e8e525551b5bcf3.jpg

One of these is the S2000 and the other is the 02+ conversion. Might be obvious, but you can see how similar they are.

I can probably do a write up, but it might take a bit as I'm swamped for a while.

This is great news. Looking forward for your write up. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Here is a quick and dirty explanation:

There are numerous ways to do this but this is how I did it in order to not have to run a mass of wires through the car. Understand that the original abs computer is removed at this point.

The S2000 pump has the computer built into it and requires several things to make it work:
constant 12V
Ignition 12V
Brake 12V
Ground
Wheel speed sensors (4 +/- pairs so 8 total)

The S2000 system has the following outputs:

Abs light
DLC (data link for troubleshooting error codes - this is not used as we do not have the right connector)
SCS (this is part of the Honda "What's wrong with my system" tool which we cannot use anyway)

The older system uses an abs computer to take signals from the wheel speed sensors and activates the solenoids at the abs pump itself. There are two big orange plugs that plug into the abs computer. Wheel speed sensors come IN in pairs (+ and -) and the solenoid wires go OUT in pairs. Those solenoid wires change color under the hood, through a plug, when they go into the abs pump. I knew that I would never reinstall my system because it sucks for one and because it wasn't working so I cut the wires off coming into the abs pump. On my system, they were covered with a green, plastic sheath. There are 3 wires in each of the plugs coming off the original pump (red, yellow and black). The new pump does not need solenoid wires so I used my solenoid wires as wheel speed sensor wires. So basically, you are jumping the wheel speed IN wires from the original abs computer plugs to the solenoid OUT wires. We can use these plugs to retain somewhat of a plug and play system.

You are probably lost at this point, but I will post diagrams when I create them.

Long story short, I was missing the abs light wire under the hood, the brake wire, ignition, 12v and all of the wheel speed sensor wires. The now not used solenoid wires would become my wheel speed sensor wires, the now not used pressure switch wire would become my abs light wire, the heavy gauge power wires from the old set up would need to be switch to constant 12V instead of ignition and I would have to run ignition and brake to the abs computer plugs behind the dash.

Last edited:
The service manual shows that the older system is powered by 3 relays:
The Primary motor relay and the front and rear fail safe relays.

The fail safe relays are integrated on board the new system so we can remove both of these relays from our relay box, but I did not. To overcome the lack of 12V constant at the new abs pump I jumped the contacts on the primary motor relay to provide me with constant power all the time. Don't worry, this is fused with a 40 amp fuse and the new system only draws 35 amps max.

Last edited:
As for the parts you will need, here is a list:

From this website

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org...omp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

You will need
Parts 6 and 12-20

You should know that I reused my front abs lines and bent them slightly into place. If you want to reuse yours, you will have to figure out which ones are the fronts from the diagram....good luck with that.

You will also need:
02 S2000 abs pump
02+ NSX abs pump mounting bracket
02 S2000 cut abs harness (I found that the Rsx, accord and some civics have the same plug, but check the pin locations. You might have to move a pin or two!)
A spool of 16 ga wire
1 solid state relay (I used http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=Crydom+dc60s3-b). <---- Update... I am currently using a different relay the Omron G5V-1-DC12. You will find it difficult to attach wires too but it's much cheaper!
Soldering iron
Solder
Tape
Wire strippers
Digital multimeter

Last edited:
I really like this idea and can appreciate the thought and ingenuity you've put into it. Thanks for sharing.

I think you should register to become a vendor and start putting some kits together. I found that through posting parts numbers for my ABS delete setup that people still didn't want to spend the time to do it themselves, but instead would rather buy the kit from you and pay their mechanic to install it and do the bleeding.

Besides the awesome concept and proof-of-concept you've already done, sourcing the parts, making up wiring adapters, and providing written instructions (with a disclaimer) is even more valuable to most.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I thought about that. I am having trouble sourcing the matching plugs for the abs computer. I could put together a DIY kit for fairly inexpensive considering the alternative.
I appreciate the time you put into this write up but like what Mac Attack said - I think it will be a great option if you can offer a DIY since most of us here are mechanically challenge. Count me in for a kit if you ever decide to offer it.

Thanks again.

Once again, "thanks for sharing!" I will be saving this link and look forward to doing this mod in the near future.

This is awesome. I'd definitely buy a kit for you if you were to.

this abs mod and a faster rack on the nsx would be awesome. Now if i could run 255's up front....

Ive been Running this mod over a year and its saved my a$$ several times in the rain. Im also using it with a BBK which i must say requires a functioning ABS system due to the higher stopping power and the likelyhood of lock-up. Glad we got this done Jay!! Oh, im running a 2001 S2K ABS module.

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest a place to get oem plugs? I'm not sure Honda would carry all of them and someone probably makes them for Honda anyway.

If Honda doesn't sell the connectors you need separately, you could try CycleTerminal.com. I made some pigtail connectors so that I could install some different horns in my NSX without modifying any wiring and Joe from Cycle Terminal was a great help.

Back