• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone have 235/40/17 front 255/40/17 rear?

I bought a set of aftermarket wheels and looking for new tires for track. i currently running 215 but think 235 may giving me better time? Anyone have experience with 235 front + 255 rear and how does it compare to 215 front?

Thanks,

you would be better off with a 275 rear tire better balance with the 235 front.

I have no issues on my 96 with the 235/40/17 front and 275/40/17 rear in Ra1.

Just keep in mind that compound will trump width every time. Also, I actually saw a decrease or no-gain going from 215/255 to 235/275 because the specific tire just wasn't as good as the skinnier tire I took off. A 205/245 RA1/NT01/R888 will pretty well always be faster than a 235/275 street tire (even the best street tire).

I went from a ZI Star Spec (old model) to a wider Nitto NT05. I have logged Data in similar conditions that average me at .5s slower per lap on the wider setup.

I think the answer in your case will be "it depends". I know the R1R is brilliant for autocross. However, I have had reliable sources tell me that they won't put up with the heat on a track due to the tread block design (vs. a ZII). So if you're running Time Attack/Time Trials and work them right and/or shave them, you might end up with one fast hero lap in a session before they get greasy. With the ZI I would typically see a nice bell curve with lap times in a session building "up" to ~3 laps that were legit fast, with a warm up and cool down on either side.

So if your lap times count for something: sure, may as well experiment with the wider setup. If you're just out there to have fun, but want to do so on a good tire, the Dunlops may be the way to go.

go with the Dunlop set

Back