• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bulova vs Citizen

I own the Citizen and I really love it. The Eco-Drive is really nifty. No batteries, no winding. Just go outside every so often.

-Jim

Jimbo said:
I own the Citizen and I really love it. The Eco-Drive is really nifty. No batteries, no winding. Just go outside every so often.

-Jim

You probably meant disposable batteries, since Eco-Drive use rechargeable batteries.
.........................................................................................................
After My Watch Stopped, I Had The Battery Replaced, But It Still Doesn't Run, What Should I Do? A persistent problem coming in to the Repair Department is watches that have been damaged due to someone's attempt to replace the original energy storage cell by substituting an ordinary silver oxide cell. The damage is apparently done by those who have little or no training in watch repair.

A warning label, placed on the inside caseback of each Eco-Drive model, states, "do not put other than the energy cell designated" and the part number for the rechargeable battery, 295-XX, appears prominently on the movement cover. This information appears to have been ignored completely.

Additionally, the correct energy cell has a spotwelded gold colored connecting strap which is necessary to make contact with the circuit of the watch. There is no such connector on a silver oxide substitute so no connection can be made to the circuit, consequently the watch will not run. In some watches, the original energy cell has been pried out, damaging the circuit and displacing parts.

The present Policy for handling any Eco-Drive watch damaged in the above manner is that it will be repaired one time and returned to the customer at no charge as a courtesy. In addition, it is emphasized that the rechargeable battery in an Eco-Drive watch should only be changed, if ever necessary, by a Technician. In most cases, sufficient recharging was all that would have been needed.

While Charging My Eco-Drive Watch, It Was Damaged By Excessive Heat. How Did This Happen? Although not a frequently occurring problem, the Repair Department receives Eco-Drive watches which are damaged due to excessive heat during recharging. Warning is given in the instruction books not to subject the watch to conditions where the temperature may exceed 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Examples given are: charging the watch on the dashboard of a car, using an incandescent lamp (regular light bulb) closer than 20" or using a Halogen lamp.

We generally repair this kind of accidental damage to Eco-Drive as a one time courtesy. At the time of repair, we review charging procedures.

How Can I Recharge My Eco-Drive In A Safe Manner? Exposing your watch to ambient light on a daily basis is sufficient to keep it charged up. If your watch displays the Low Charge Warning however, it can be safely charged by exposing it to a fluorescent desk lamp, with the dial (face) up and within about 8 inches or an incandescent lamp (regular light bulb) no closer than 20 inches. Never use a halogen lamp since the heat generated by it can cause damage to your watch. The most efficient and the quickest is in direct bright sunlight (not windowsill) and never on the dashboard of a car.

How Can We Keep The Eco-Drive Watches In Our Display Case Properly Charged? The most important thing is to always make sure that the watches are 'face up' in bright light. The best position in the case for them is in the middle on the top shelf. It is equally important that they not be displayed on the second or third shelf down or in a wall case where there is insufficient light to keep them charged.

Yes. I meant that there's no batteries to replace on a regular basis.

Both my wife and I have these watches and both have been great.

I also like the fact that it doesn't have a high bling-bling factor.

-Jim

I like the Citizen one better. It has that simple and elegant look to it:

p5537B.jpg
p5784B.jpg

Back