• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealer markup $10,000 and refusal to honor agreement at MSRP

They didn't even understand what was going on. A dealer is not selling a spot to purchase from that dealer - someone with a deposit is.

Why would a dealer shill a spot in line on ebay when all the dealer needs to do is markup the AMV and make the money that way? They are doing AMV but not also selling spots in line. The author of that piece just doesn't read the fleabay listing properly and assumes that the reference to the "dealer in ny" means that a dealer is selling the spot when in reality the place in line is by someone who has his deposit with a ny dealer.

Just in:

Msrp #2
Dear Bruce,

I just spoke with Mr. O'neill, he asked me to inform you that we received allocation for out NSX (as I told you earlier)
and we will sell it for MSRP, but he would need a substantial deposit that is non refundable. Of course if you are still interested.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Bruce,

The first one went to Mr. O'neill, the second allocation when it opens up will go to you. We can take your order as soon as you get it configured. Mr. O'neill will get back to me as to how much of a deposit we will need.

Sincerely,

Dear Bruce,
The first one went to Mr. O'neill, the second allocation when it opens up will go to you. We can take your order as soon as you get it configured. Mr. O'neill will get back to me as to how much of a deposit we will need.
Sincerely,

Bruce:
My congratulations.
You prevailed in the face of many doubtful comments, including mine.
Well done!

Nice job!

because RSO made it so:wink:

Well, I read the email as this was the original dealer that was going to charge him $10K over at first.

So did I.

Meaning the dealer who started at $10K over MSRP may have found that they were losing sales to other dealers selling at MSRP.
It may have meant they overestimated what demand would be at $10K over and decided to offer the OP at MSRP.

Or they had an attack of conscience and went to MSRP because they felt they owed that to the OP.

Last edited:
O ok, I read it as you meant he's buying from another dealer who's offering MSRP. That would be interesting if the dealer changed their minds for that sole reason. Usually, they are more bull-headed than tha tho...

FYI. Original dealer, #2 spot, not #1 , msrp......wants a 50% non refundable deposit......still discussing the deposit issue and timing of second allocation.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
50% down is nuts

My dealer for reference was $1000 refundable to secure the allocation and 10% of MSRP (haven't discuss the refundable part) when the car is ordered.

Same here . . . $1,000 deposit to secure first allocation, although I would not be surprised if they ask for more when the ordered is submitted and locked.

Bruce, is your dealer a large dealer with several first year allocations? If your dealer is small and only has two first year allocations, the second allocation might not be received until 2017.

It looks like you have already negotiated from the 50% down starting point to the $50K where you are now.

Have you mentioned to your dealer that other folks are being offered more favorable terms or was that their last/best offer?

Too many delays, and uncertainty regarding actual delivery. Even some first car allocations are many months off (I was told September or later). Pulled the trigger on a R8.

Too many delays, and uncertainty regarding actual delivery. Even some first car allocations are many months off (I was told September or later). Pulled the trigger on a R8.

Is it your view Honda has made the initial ordering too complex and vague.
Is this coupled coupled with dealers wanting to charge over MSRP resulting in potential buyers becoming alienated and holding back or going elsewhere?

Sorry to see your need/desire to go to THE DARK SIDE. I hope your off on the uncertainties for those remaining in line. My PM is hoping to get some speculation answers within a week.

That's commitment Bruce!

Did your dealer have any info on when their first car will be delivered or any other tidbits of info?

Back