• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Restaurants Houston.

Hey everyone. I'm traveling to Houston for a few days on a short trip and would like some suggestions from the locals on where to eat. Although I can figure it out online and read reviews and such I figure the people that live there always have the inside scoop. I'm not looking for pretentious restaurants but rather the family owned or neighborhood spots. Any help would be appreciated!

Mexican

Bbq

Korean

Heads up the Houston Rodeo just started and goes all month. Bbq galore. If u get out of town into Pearland you can try Killeans BBQ. People go crazy for that place.

I love me some Lupe Tortillas or Cyclone Anayas for Mexican. Yea Chachos is were the Houston group will meet up for breakfast on occasion.

Corkscrew and Killeens top BBQ in the country; but the wait is ridiculous! Luling City on Richmond is pretty good or try Rudys is pretty good. Pappasitos or El Tiempo for Mexican for sure!

Are you an eat everything type or picky? Houston is loaded with places to eat anywhere at anytime.

I'm an eat everything type of person. But I am very selective and picky. All cities are loaded with places to eat everywhere and every time. If someone were to ask me where my favorite places are in Philadelphia or New Orleans I could tell you in a heart beat. I could tell you where to go for what dishes and how they compare to the publicized places that all hyped up city news papers pay tribute too. I know the Vietnamese is probably the best outside of Cali depending on where you go and whom you talk too "so I've heard". The cuisines above I'm particularly fond of and looking for good authentic meals and local favorites. With that said I've been to rudys and love it. I'm going to check out killeens for sure.

If I want posh and world class I'll fly up to nyc to relive the greatest meal I've had at cafe boulud, see what all the fuss is about at perse and have a view of myself about what the critic has said, or see if Eric Ripert is really in the kitchen and walking the floor every night like people say he is.

I still enjoy pop eyes and Taco Bell late at night, but when it comes to being critical and wanting something more then just frozen garbage or the tabloid "hit place" I'm always in search of the my next best favorite.

If you do decide to brave the lines at Corkscrew and Killeen's arrive at least an hour early; because once they run out they run out. Was about 5 people from getting in the first time and they ran out of brisket and ribs, I could have gnawed someone's face off! LOL. Don't make the same rookie mistake I did, and also factor in the rodeo crowds as well. Best of luck, best moist brisket you will ever have!

uchi

Glad to hear it. Bummer about the weather this week though.

If you want to hit up some car stuff while your here, tonight is Ricer Wednesday at 8th Wonder Brewery. Usually 1 or 2 NSX guys show up since its JDM, but leans more ricer. But so cool stuff does show up. I went last week, but probably won't be out there tonight due to plans.
http://houston-streets.com/calendar/

Glad to hear it. Bummer about the weather this week though.

If you want to hit up some car stuff while your here, tonight is Ricer Wednesday at 8th Wonder Brewery. Usually 1 or 2 NSX guys show up since its JDM, but leans more ricer. But so cool stuff does show up. I went last week, but probably won't be out there tonight due to plans.
http://houston-streets.com/calendar/

Yeah this weather isn't great. We just got done sitting in rush hour traffic which wasn't fun either coupling that with the rain it was horrible.

Probably going to skip the car meet, but thanks for the suggestion. That calendar is a pretty good idea.

Back