• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM exhaust; tips?

Exhaust tips on otherwise stock exhaust is a subject that's not been discussed often.

I wish to keep the stock muffler on my 91 and change the tips. I saw these great looking tips on a 2000 NSX-T that has a stock muffler, I assume they are aftermarket? Can anyone recognize these tips?

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC04013.jpg
    DSC04013.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 922
My 2000 NSX is wrapped up in a secure storage area for the winter, so I don't have access to check it; but, I am thinking those are just the stock tips. The stock tips are definitely single wall brushed stainless. The only thing I am fuzzy on is whether they are slash cut or straight cut; but, I am thinking slash cut.

they do look like standard 95-01 tips.

Great! This means I can stay all OEM with a factory 95-01 muffler! Sweet! I'll be on the lookout for one. Will it bolt on to the OEM 1991 headers/cats? Even better would be a 97-01 full headers/cats/muffler setup but step-by-step may be the only realistic option for now.

Thanks guys.

Great! This means I can stay all OEM with a factory 95-01 muffler! Sweet! I'll be on the lookout for one. Will it bolt on to the OEM 1991 headers/cats? Even better would be a 97-01 full headers/cats/muffler setup but step-by-step may be the only realistic option for now.

Thanks guys.

That's actually not a safe assumption. Due to the changes in the muffler differences you'll only be able to fit the 1995 or 1996 stock muffler without any major modifications. And even then, it's a "maybe".
Here's the differences:
12558exhausts.gif

yes as mentioned the 95 and 96 cars were still na1 and had the yugo exhaust manifolds just like the earlier coupes

That's what I feared. To clarify, an OEM 97-01 headers/cats/muffler would bolt on with different o2 sensors/wires? I would regard this as the best possible upgrade. I understand mix/match won't... match. I would love to see the different muffler/cats setups per year.

What about aftermarket tips? Any chance of finding some that resemble the ones I like? I can't be the only 91-94 owner who wants to keep a stock muffler but different tips?!

Last edited:
If you want to use an OEM 1997 - muffler, I suspect (but have not done the parts diagram / number search) that you are pretty much into the full meal header back replacement. The biggest issue with 'bolt on' replacement may be did the location of the hangers change between the three versions? Your '91 only has the up-stream O2 sensors; but, that should only be a matter of plugging the bung for the downstream sensor on the OBDII compliant exhaust system.

If you really like the 97- tips, perhaps you can find someone who has replaced their 97 - muffler and is willing to sell it. Assuming the diameter of the tailpipe tubing is the same on yours and the later cars, you could swap the tips from the later muffler on to your earlier muffler. Not a trivial exercise to do well and is likely to make for a fairly pricey tip swap!

If you want to use an OEM 1997 - muffler, I suspect (but have not done the parts diagram / number search) that you are pretty much into the full meal header back replacement. The biggest issue with 'bolt on' replacement may be did the location of the hangers change between the three versions? Your '91 only has the up-stream O2 sensors; but, that should only be a matter of plugging the bung for the downstream sensor on the OBDII compliant exhaust system.

If you really like the 97- tips, perhaps you can find someone who has replaced their 97 - muffler and is willing to sell it. Assuming the diameter of the tailpipe tubing is the same on yours and the later cars, you could swap the tips from the later muffler on to your earlier muffler. Not a trivial exercise to do well and is likely to make for a fairly pricey tip swap!

He basically has two options if he wants to keep it completely OEM.
1) Find a 1995 or 1996 muffler and do the straight swap. Used cost seems to be in the $100-$300 range.
2) Find a 1997-2001 full exhaust system (headers, cats and muffler) and replace it completely. It's a direct bolt on swap assuming he has all the parts. You'll probably need O2 extension cables, but that's the only thing as far as I remember.
With a 1997-2005 OEM full exhaust replacement (2002-2005 exhaust tips are different), you can expect ~ 15whp and 10 ft-lbs of torque gain because of the OEM header design of the 1997-2005. Used cost seems to be $800-$1200 for the full system. I did this on my 1995 car and posted the dyno results in another thread.
IMG_16661.JPG
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...out-NA1-vs-NA2-OEM-Header-Exhaust-Dyno-inside!

The other options involve taking it to a muffler shop and having them weld on whatever tips you want to the OEM muffler. Expect that to cost $100-$200.

Last edited:
Another great option would be to order high flow cats or test pipes from me - which have the required adapters incorporated into them to make a 97-01 exhaust bolt right up.

Another great option would be to order high flow cats or test pipes from me - which have the required adapters incorporated into them to make a 97-01 exhaust bolt right up.

Thanks. To be clear, this combo would work with the OEM NA1 exhaust collector? How would a high flow cat setup sandwiched between OEM parts affect sound?

Thanks. To be clear, this combo would work with the OEM NA1 exhaust collector? How would a high flow cat setup sandwiched between OEM parts affect sound?

Yes, I build the high flow cats so you can mate 91-94 OEM headers (3 bolt flange) to a 97-05 exhaust.

The 100 cell high flow cats with stock headers and exhaust will create a very slightly louder sound but not very noticeable. If you prefer quieter, you can choose the 300 cell cats.

Feel free to message me for more info.

i have angus's 100 cell high flow cats with stock exhaust and headers, and agree that it gives you a nice extra pleasant roar on acceleration,otherwise it's as quiet as stock. it also gives a little extra power,saves about 15 lb. over stock cats,eliminates a restrictive bend in the connector, and in my case saved me a lot of money over replacing my failing stock cats with oem ones. i didn't install them,but the mechanic said it was easy.
it's almost like getting half a new exhaust.

Last edited:
If you find a 95-96 oem muffler, it will bolt right up to your 91 if you take the adapters off and it has those slant tips

Try your local muffler shops for after market exhaust tips. I am sure you can find one similar to that. They can weld them on easily.

That's what I feared. To clarify, an OEM 97-01 headers/cats/muffler would bolt on with different o2 sensors/wires? I would regard this as the best possible upgrade. I understand mix/match won't... match. I would love to see the different muffler/cats setups per year.

What about aftermarket tips? Any chance of finding some that resemble the ones I like? I can't be the only 91-94 owner who wants to keep a stock muffler but different tips?!

Back