• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Talk of an R version

Considering second article above:

1. Power seats are optional, not standard
2. Ditching sound insulation and electronic components will have minimal effect on overall performance of a 3800 lb. car
3. Carbon ceramic brakes while reducing unsprung weight, are considered impractical by many for an everyday driver
4. Has anyone determined the weight difference if any of the $6000 carbon roof? It could just be purely cosmetic until proven otherwise. Maybe have a small effect on center of gravity
5. Adding power? Nothing earthshaking here.
6. Eliminating hybrid power. If they go with a more powerful ICE that outperforms the current platform and of course strips unnecessary weight scrapping electric motors, what would be the attraction of the more complicated, heavier and slower base car?

The best question to ask is what does the car weigh without the hybrid tech. Then start subtracting mass from the car at that point and re-add the hybrid tech.

It sounds like the car weighs 3200-3300 lbs without them and that's slightly less than today's modern supercars that are weighing in at 3300-3400 lbs safely.

I guesstimate a 100 kg diet or ~200 lb reduction when all is said and done if they decide to go R route.

I doubt we'll hear of an official R version for at least two to three years. If Acura announced a R version now, it would hurt sales because then some people would wait. Acura needs the new NSX sales to get off the ground and get going, build a good buzz about the car for a few years, then maybe announce an R version.

Last edited:
A type-R is inevitable. And I don't think it will really hurt sales for two reasons: It will be more expensive, and it will be less of a road car. So it will attract a different type of customer. I, for one, have no interest in a Type-R since I will rarely, if ever, track the car, and I would not want to give up on comfort for extra performance when there is no way I could fully use the performance of even the base car. Also, there is no way they would remove the hybrid system. Everyone looks at the weight but don't consider the performance it adds to the car. Also, as battery performance improves, they could make the battery smaller and lighter, which would help. Also, they could probably save 50 lbs just by simplifying the exhaust system. Just take a look at what they did there. Other places to save weight: carbon fibre body panels, deleting the engine covers, once-piece carbon fiber bucket seats with manual rails, simpler audio system (or even deleting it entirely), standard carbon ceramic brakes. It shouldn't be too difficult to save a couple of hundred pounds. Other things that might help: swapping the adjustable shocks for simpler coilovers, less sound insulation, thinner glass, even lighter wheels.

Last edited:
I think the Type R version would be what a GT3RS is to a Porsche turbo S ? If I am not wrong, the Turbo S with the power advantage and AWD is still faster despite the extra weight. Different cars, for different tastes so I do think it makes perfect sense !

Removing the hybrid is not going to happen in my opinion. That's sending the wrong message entirely and discounts Honda's entire hybrid effort. Then again, I wish they abandoned the "beak" design language so it's not say they are always right in their stubbornness.

I think they can shed 200lbs in various parts. For example, a Ti exhaust system, bucket seats, lighter battery... I would not be surprised if the new Type R will have stronger, lighter, electric motors. One early review claimed the current electric motors run out of "steam" at higher speeds and is outpaced by the gas engine. Let's not forget the J Series engine has already proven to be a race proven reliable power monster.

Keep in mind the Mclaren 650s is 3,236lbs. The 675LT is 2,927 for a 309lbs savings. That's pretty huge. Maybe the NSX Type R's advantage could be a 500lb savings? That would be a game changer!

- - - Updated - - -

well according to this article i'd be completely wrong :wink:

[h=1]Report: Acura NSX Type R Under Consideration, Could Go Rear-Wheel Drive[/h]http://www.automobilemag.com/news/report-acura-nsx-type-r-consideration-go-rear-wheel-drive/

Last edited:
Removing the hybrid is not going to happen in my opinion. That's sending the wrong message entirely and discounts Honda's entire hybrid effort.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. What if they removed the front electric motors, kept the rear electric motor, and made the battery pack smaller.

Don't forget that the second gen NSX is being entered into the Pikes Peak hillclimb and is supposedly RWD-only:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/is-an-acura-nsx-type-r-in-the-works/

good read, very interesting stuff. is it just me, or does it seem Honda have no idea what they want to do?

Agree. That might be a compromise that makes sense.

I see the NSX vs. NSX-R argument similar to the 911Turbo Awd vs. a GT3RS proposition.

that wouldn't be a bad thing...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, as battery performance improves, they could make the battery smaller and lighter, which would help. Also, they could probably save 50 lbs just by simplifying the exhaust system. Just take a look at what they did there. Other places to save weight: carbon fibre body panels, deleting the engine covers, once-piece carbon fiber bucket seats with manual rails, simpler audio system (or even deleting it entirely), standard carbon ceramic brakes. It shouldn't be too difficult to save a couple of hundred pounds. Other things that might help: swapping the adjustable shocks for simpler coilovers, less sound insulation, thinner glass, even lighter wheels.

i reckon if it was that easy to do, they would've already done it...

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt we'll hear of an official R version for at least two to three years. If Acura announced a R version now, it would hurt sales because then some people would wait. Acura needs the new NSX sales to get off the ground and get going, build a good buzz about the car for a few years, then maybe announce an R version.

i gotta agree with that...

i reckon if it was that easy to do, they would've already done it...

I doubt it. This is a company that want to make money on their cars. I bet it's all planned out. The more they hold back on the original base model, the more they can update and raise the price for the improved version. Remember they even said they are not going to just let this sit so they must have a planned upgrade path already.

All i know is there are two slots for extra batteries either side of the center mounted battery behind the seats from what i have been informed extra batteries wont provide more power so not sure why Honda engineered the allowance of extra batteries.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,453
All i know is there are two slots for extra batteries either side of the center mounted battery behind the seats from what i have been informed extra batteries wont provide more power so not sure why Honda engineered the allowance of extra batteries.

Considering the new info that came out that the car was designed with the intent of potentially making a full EV model I can see why.

The next few years should be very tempting. A targa model in about two years along with an all-electric model... then maybe an R version a year after that (without the front motors and about 200 kg lighter please). Honda?

I've been following the news loosely and it seems like Honda/Acura is really keen on exploring many different configurations. It's so unlike them, very anti-Japanese mainstream thinking, but I welcome the flexibility.

It seems an all electric might be possible. They're probably waiting for better battery technology?

I think the more likely is a lightweight, high performance hybrid. No front motors, lighter and higher capacity battery, one hybrid motor on the crank, probably higher turbo output, and the most important two.. lighter chassis and BETTER steering rack. That might be the one I might have to dig deep and put in a deposit for. What I would like out of this version is to still have a true "Quiet Mode". I think that's what makes the NSX special. I'm not sure if one electric motor is enough to support a proper Quiet Mode. It doesn't have to be fully electric in Quiet Mode but it would be nice. If they don't have a proper quiet mode i'd rather buy a Porsche GT3 or a used McLaren 12C. Well.. at that point that brings Honda reliability in question.

I've been following the news loosely and it seems like Honda/Acura is really keen on exploring many different configurations. It's so unlike them, very anti-Japanese mainstream thinking, but I welcome the flexibility.

It seems an all electric might be possible. They're probably waiting for better battery technology?

I think the more likely is a lightweight, high performance hybrid. No front motors, lighter and higher capacity battery, one hybrid motor on the crank, probably higher turbo output, and the most important two.. lighter chassis and BETTER steering rack. That might be the one I might have to dig deep and put in a deposit for. What I would like out of this version is to still have a true "Quiet Mode". I think that's what makes the NSX special. I'm not sure if one electric motor is enough to support a proper Quiet Mode. It doesn't have to be fully electric in Quiet Mode but it would be nice. If they don't have a proper quiet mode i'd rather buy a Porsche GT3 or a used McLaren 12C. Well.. at that point that brings Honda reliability in question.

Agree. That's got me thinking, but I also have to take a serious look at the R36 and Tesla P90D...

Btw. The carbon roof is apparently a decorative skin applied on top of the ally roof. It was spotted being applied during a video of the production line.

Type S/ S-Zero

I drafted this 6 months ago. In hopes of the addition of a 4L v6 w/drag reduction system. Conventional SH-AWD (carbon shaft)with Regenerative Suspension to increase charging speeds (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_shock_absorber)
attachment.php
attachment.php

Key missing wrap-around taillight returns with active air-brake that drops on a hinge adjusting on a electronic track instead of lifting hydraulically. For , Type-S seems more realistic in the U.S. Also theres never been an NSX Type R.

Attachments

• 1192185931304530849_218152043.jpg
    1192185931304530849_218152043.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 341
  • 1192188309332291587_218152043.jpg
    1192188309332291587_218152043.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 342
Back