• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Plug n Play Harness for Solenoid Energizing/Exercising on 1st GEN ABS Modulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to see what type of interest there is for a NSX 1st GEN ABS Modulator Plug N play harness used to energize the ABS system Solenoids, I created this harness to save time and reduce hassle over using jumper wires. Good for 1991 to 1999 ABS systems. Most of you know these Solenoids can be a problem and lead to the pump running frequently, fluid foaming, over flowing from the reservoir etc... My ABS pump had been running more often the last few months so I got this harness together as well as some other goodies, preparing for the worst. When you start to hear the pump running more frequently, its most likely due to the pressurized fluid bleeding past a solenoid, this can be seen at the bottom of the reservoir strainer at the fluid return, most of the time the return fluid will be aerated with tiny bubbles (most likely nitrogen). This harness will allow you to energize the solenoids from time to time, hopefully minimizing problems down the road. The smaller 2 lead push button harness will allow you to run the pump. Don't run the pump for more than 30 to 40 seconds as you don't want to over pressurize the system. When you are done, partial pressurize the system for 30 to 40 seconds, then take the NSX for a ride and let the system finish pressurizing the fluid. A great alternative to Acura's ALB checker that the dealers used to run the pump and energize solenoids. When using this harness you don't want to run the pump if the fluid is aerated after energizing a solenoid. The fluid needs to be removed and replaced with clean fluid, or it needs to rest so the air bubbles can surface. Energize each Solenoid one at a time or in sets till clean UN-aerated fluid is seen coming from the return. ( this may be impossible without the T bleeder, but I cant confirm that since I have one) $114.00 would get you just the main harness with the rotary switch used to choose each solenoid one at a time, and it has a remote push button switch to energize it. The 4 OEM connectors plug into the ABS modulator harness, fused (10 amp) positive cable, High-temp PVC harness tubing, and good quality battery clips. The rotary switch is a blower fan speed switch for an older VW. It's a 5 position switch with 1 off and 4 on positions, one for each solenoid. A little crude but works great and had the termination needed to make this work cleanly, and it has a nice PVC cover that fits over its base nicely. An additional $18.00 (my cost) get you a second remote push button used to run the pump (remove the pump motor relay and insert the male spade terminals in the pump motor circuit.) for pressurizing the system. I could have used something cheaper but choose form and function over cost with the components I used. You can also use a piece of wire or needle-nose pliers to jump the pump terminals, I'm not a big fan of the method, but its effective and I have done it before. These are pretty much going to be made to order, so I don't plan to keep a lot of parts of hand, enough to do maybe 5 sets at a time. If you happen to need an O-ring kit to rebuild a modulator, talk to Warren Woodcox (known as WARRENW here on Prime) he has a great O-ring kit that's really well put together with a great instruction sheet. His thread is here http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/162710-ABS-ALB-modulator-rebuild-write-up I have a brief YouTube vid on how to connect the main harness here (vids and pics are not my thing.) If you check out one of the other vids on that you tube channel you will see how I developed an internal modulator leak this past week, and the fluid bleeds back into the reservoir as the system pressurizes. Input is always appreciated. https://youtu.be/6q29oPWEI2k

Attachments

• DSCF669520.jpg
    DSCF669520.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,552
  • DSCF668820.jpg
    DSCF668820.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 882
Last edited:
My ABS Tester just arrived. Joe Scavone comes through once again with his fine craftsmanship!
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160317_171031611(1).jpg
    IMG_20160317_171031611(1).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,847
Paid for mine on Friday and it shipped on Sunday. With a 3 day priority ship. :smile:

Just received. Great quality and worked great. Fast shipping. Thank you Joe!

Joe, what's the best way to order and pay for these?

I have done business with Joe on multiple occasions in the past, and I surely will buy this kit in the near future. Knowledgeable and nice guy to deal with.

OK... I got the harnesses and have them hooked up correctly.

If I go through the process in the video above, I get nothing happening in the ABS brake fluid reservoir. All I get is the individual solenoids clicking on and off, no fluid coming into the reservoir like in the video. I tried this with the ignition off and on, no change.

I hooked up the separate pump switch so I can run the pump. If I run the pump for a few seconds it slows down, so the system is pressurizing. No change in the reservoir at this point. If I select a solenoid and run the pump, the system pressurizes, then releases when I activate the solenoid. If I deactivate the solenoid the system pressurizes again (pump slows down). It does the same thing for each of the 4 solenoids.

There is no change in the fluid in the reservoir no matter what I do. What's going on?

EDIT: Just ran through everything again and noticed one additional thing. When I pressurize the system, the fluid level drops very slightly (only about 1/16"), then when I activate any solenoid it returns to the original level. The fluid in the reservoir is very clean and never changes. I never get any dirty fluid or aerating per the video.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with my ABS? The pump runs for about 5-10 seconds when I first head out, then I'll hear it run occasionally if I'm around town or at a stop. I can feel the ABS activating if i purposely activate it on a gravel or wet road. I have no record of the ABS ever being worked on, but I can't believe that it's OK with 24 years, 136K miles and no service. I looked at all the mounting bolts etc., doesn't look like anything's ever been touched. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Last edited:
OK... I got the harnesses and have them hooked up correctly.

If I go through the process in the video above, I get nothing happening in the ABS brake fluid reservoir. All I get is the individual solenoids clicking on and off, no fluid coming into the reservoir like in the video. I tried this with the ignition off and on, no change.

I hooked up the separate pump switch so I can run the pump. If I run the pump for a few seconds it slows down, so the system is pressurizing. No change in the reservoir at this point. If I select a solenoid and run the pump, the system pressurizes, then releases when I activate the solenoid. If I deactivate the solenoid the system pressurizes again (pump slows down). It does the same thing for each of the 4 solenoids.

There is no change in the fluid in the reservoir no matter what I do. What's going on?

EDIT: Just ran through everything again and noticed one additional thing. When I pressurize the system, the fluid level drops very slightly (only about 1/16"), then when I activate any solenoid it returns to the original level. The fluid in the reservoir is very clean and never changes. I never get any dirty fluid or aerating per the video.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with my ABS? The pump runs for about 5-10 seconds when I first head out, then I'll hear it run occasionally if I'm around town or at a stop. I can feel the ABS activating if i purposely activate it on a gravel or wet road. I have no record of the ABS ever being worked on, but I can't believe that it's OK with 24 years, 136K miles and no service. I looked at all the mounting bolts etc., doesn't look like anything's ever been touched. Maybe I'm just lucky?

This is where the bleeder wrench will come in handy. If you look at the service manual, it will have a method to check the accumulator. If the bladder in the accumulator has a hole in it or the nitrogen charge has leaked out, the system cannot pressurize properly, This can lead to the pump motor running frequently. You can download the manual on line at Dali racing.

Thanks Joe. I have the manual and have been searching for the T-bleeder. All signs seem to be leading to the accumulator so I'll follow-up on that next. Thanks!

Hi, does anyone know if Joe is still making these harnesses. I am interesting in getting a set. He does not seem to be around.

Try emailing him: joe at cycleterminal.com

I tried that earlier this week using the Email link off his sig but no luck yet.

Last time I spoke with Joe he was very busy and a bit behind on work, due to a move.
Don't worry, he'll get back to you.
I'll let him know about the interest.

He got back to me thru the email you gave, almost straight away.
Yeah, he just moved and he needs some parts before he can start making them again.
Not a problem waiting. Just glad he is still making them.

I finally got around to order the harnass myself.
Fixed my ABS (pump kept running) issue with it.

Big thanks to Joe, and big thanks to "dezmanwong1" for his good video on how to use the kit.

My ABS recently got problem. Will order from Joe soon.

Joe do you still have a kit in stock?

I third that???
I also spoke to you about making your kit with a connector kit to fit my '91 Prelude ALB as well.

Cheers
nigel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back