• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the Correct OEM Finish on '02-'05 Wheels?

I'm considering refinishing my OEM wheels. There is no visible curb rash but there is a fair amount of paint chipping on the edges. I am not certain if the wheels were originally painted (I didn't think so) which leads me to speculate that a previous owner had them re-done at one time and painted them. The colour of my wheels to my eye looks a little bit darker than other '02's I've seen and the finish a bit shinier but I might be mistaken.

Can anyone tell me what the correct OEM finish is for the forged wheel?

Thanks in advance,
Marc

If that was a choice in who wants to be a millionaire I would have not picked it:eek:

Would you know if touch up paint in that color is available? I haven't had any success finding any, so I contacted paintscratch.com who said they'll get back to me after speaking with their color technicians.

OEM Wheel colour - 2002-05

It's BMW silver. NH-606M I do believe.

Doesn't it seem odd that Honda would go with another manufacturer's paint code on their own OEM wheel? Eep. since they have several silver finishes themselves.
I bought new centre caps because the ones on the car when I purchased it had no emblems. I discovered why after removing them... At some point the wheels were indeed repainted and they used a darker silver (Kaiser Silver perhaps?). The centre caps are original but since they painted the wheels a darker shade, they also had to paint the caps. They removed the emblems and filled in the small attaching holes before painting them.

Can anyone confirm BMW silver NH-606M is correct? Does it appear in any Honda database or shop manual perhaps?

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 177
I'm considering refinishing my OEM wheels. There is no visible curb rash but there is a fair amount of paint chipping on the edges. I am not certain if the wheels were originally painted (I didn't think so) which leads me to speculate that a previous owner had them re-done at one time and painted them. The colour of my wheels to my eye looks a little bit darker than other '02's I've seen and the finish a bit shinier but I might be mistaken.

Can anyone tell me what the correct OEM finish is for the forged wheel?

Thanks in advance,
Marc

Hello,

I have the same wheels on my '93. I wish I could tell the exact color but I was unable to find. If it helps I did notice it is very close to Sebring Silver - a high gloss metallic finish. I am pretty sure though that most good body shops would have records of paint colors (for rework).

The following is not directly related to the posting but......I have been told the 17" wheel set from the -02 to -05 NSX's are pretty rare. I am curious - by "pretty rare" what does that mean? Assuming factory use only I guess about 300 sets?

Regards and good luck

Kyle

Doesn't it seem odd that Honda would go with another manufacturer's paint code on their own OEM wheel? Eep. since they have several silver finishes themselves.
I bought new centre caps because the ones on the car when I purchased it had no emblems. I discovered why after removing them... At some point the wheels were indeed repainted and they used a darker silver (Kaiser Silver perhaps?). The centre caps are original but since they painted the wheels a darker shade, they also had to paint the caps. They removed the emblems and filled in the small attaching holes before painting them.

Can anyone confirm BMW silver NH-606M is correct? Does it appear in any Honda database or shop manual perhaps?

As Nsxtasy stated, the Acura parts catalog lists NH-606M BMW silver as the color of the wheels.

Hello,

I have the same wheels on my '93. I wish I could tell the exact color but I was unable to find. If it helps I did notice it is very close to Sebring Silver - a high gloss metallic finish. I am pretty sure though that most good body shops would have records of paint colors (for rework).

The following is not directly related to the posting but......I have been told the 17" wheel set from the -02 to -05 NSX's are pretty rare. I am curious - by "pretty rare" what does that mean? Assuming factory use only I guess about 300 sets?

Regards and good luck

Kyle

You can still buy them new, so not so rare as to be unobtainable. Mighty pricy for a new set though.

Hello,

Regards and good luck

Kyle

Those wheels were standard equipment on 2002+ cars and according to our Wikipedia page 862 NSXs were delivered new to the US from 2002 to 2005. Acura sells these wheels for close to $2000 each so I don't think many people bought them new.

Many moons ago a auto car wash scratched my 16/17 oem blades wheels...it was filed with the car washes ins.co.....1600$ for the rear ...

Refinishing '02-'05 OEM Wheels

I got my refinished wheels back today. When dropping them off, I mentioned the BMW color code and gave them a new centre cap to match the color too. This is how they turned out. I think the color looks a bit more shiny compared to other OEM wheels but the shade of silver itself looks on the mark. I've seen but I haven't yet compared them side by side with another OEM NSX wheel. What do you think? Close enough as damn is to swearing or what?
attachment.php
attachment.php

Sorry in advance for the pictures appearing upside down. Not sure how to adjust.

Attachments

• IMG_1879.jpg
    IMG_1879.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_1883.jpg
    IMG_1883.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 404
  • fullsizeoutput_500a.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_500a.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 125
Now all I have to do is determine what lug nuts to use. Has anyone ever tried aluminum? I used these for a 911 I had as this is what the factory used. I loved how they weighed next to nothing. Had to use a special lubricant so they wouldn't react with the steel lugs.

Would you know if touch up paint in that color is available? I haven't had any success finding any, so I contacted paintscratch.com who said they'll get back to me after speaking with their color technicians.

I bought several spray cans of BMW silver wheel paint from Wurth. They are a German company that make products for the auto industry (brake cleaners, brake and radiator fluids, fasteners, wheel weights, etc. I have only had one wheel touched up up some time ago at a bodyshop, after a less than ideal tire change. I don't think I knew the color code (NH-606M) then, but my painter played with the tint until it was perfect. I bought the cans of Wurth to have for the next time a wheel got nicked, but fortunately that hasn't happened yet. So I can't say if it is a perfect match for sure.
We did paint a V6 Ridgeline block that I used to make a table. I'd say the color is pretty much bang on to my rims.

wagonboy, your rims look great. Color looks like OEM. A bit of extra shine never hurts!

Last edited:
Now all I have to do is determine what lug nuts to use. Has anyone ever tried aluminum? I used these for a 911 I had as this is what the factory used. I loved how they weighed next to nothing. Had to use a special lubricant so they wouldn't react with the steel lugs.

You don't need to go fancy on the lug nuts, just use the oem chrome steel ones

Make sure you do your research before using aftermarket lug nuts since most have flat contact patch surface, please see attached picture.

The wheels turned out very well!

lugtypes.gif

that is really the most important thing ..proper match of seat to nut face......and yes I said nut face....:redface: ...also some folks get wheel spacers but not extended lugs...make sure that there are enough turns left on the lugs to adequately clamp down on the wheel, before hitting the backstop of the closed nut.Some tuner nuts are open allowing proper clamping force on the wheel despite too short bolts.

Agree that fancy lug nuts are shit... They flake, chip, strip, etc... One date with an impact gun a bone head uses at a tire shop and your done. Stripped nuts. I no longer hold my life in the fate of cheap/expensive Chinese aluminum lug nuts.

Recommend you go with OEM steel lug nuts.
Your life depends on those nuts holding the wheel under all driving conditions.

Back