• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any dealers making actual orders with factory yet?

My dealer reached out today to let me know the guy who was first wants to wait a few months and I moved up to the first allocation.

He sent me a Hondaweb generated build/ process stages sheet.

He needs 48 hours to finalize with the other guy but things are looking up for a May/June delivery

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the stages:

Accepted
Trim locked
EC/IC locked
FIF locked
All configurations locked
Factory order confirmed
On-order
Assigned
Shipped
On-hand
RDR complete

can you share, which stages are you in right now?

steven

I would say the following

Accepted
Trim locked
EC/IC locked

FIF locked is listed as April 1 on the sheet I received yesterday

I spoke with the Salesman and Sales Manager yesterday and they said I would receive an update at each stage.

I asked them for any info they have about factory tours, perhaps factory delivery, the scale model car another poster mentioned, if I can get the roof painted white (just a test question for customization beyond what is listed) and about getting a spare set of Y spoke wheels. The Sales Manager was going to speak with a Regional Rep.

The form does not have anything about tire selection. These folks had not heard about the Pirelli option. I asked for them to see if the Michelins would be safe to use (like if it rained). I want to drive the car year round and plan to have 2 sets of wheels (summer tires and real snow tires (Pirelli has snows in the OEM sizes)).

Last edited:
I believe Tire Rack cautions against driving in the wet with the M Cups and Pirelli T's (asume they might be offered as well)
and of course the Conti's 5Ps have not gotten reviewed well for new NSX and by users of other cars.
Why oh why won't they just offer M Pilot S S's which have a great history by many reviewers and upscale car users.
ACURA... if any you/reps are actually reading to get a feel on the pulse... ARE YOU ACTUALLY ALSO LISTENING?!

Gadgetman,

I have the sense that I will be able to get some points to Acura via the sales manger to regional rep mechanism

Can you please let me know the exact Michelin tire you like and I will see if that can be added to the choices?

steven

I would say the following

Accepted
Trim locked
EC/IC locked

FIF locked is listed as April 1 on the sheet I received yesterday

I spoke with the Salesman and Sales Manager yesterday and they said I would receive an update at each stage.

I asked them for any info they have about factory tours, perhaps factory delivery, the scale model car another poster mentioned, if I can get the roof painted white (just a test question for customization beyond what is listed) and about getting a spare set of Y spoke wheels. The Sales Manager was going to speak with a Regional Rep.

The form does not have anything about tire selection. These folks had not heard about the Pirelli option. I asked for them to see if the Michelins would be safe to use (like if it rained). I want to drive the car year round and plan to have 2 sets of wheels (summer tires and real snow tires (Pirelli has snows in the OEM sizes)).

Would you consider spending a mere extra $40 and joining the NSX Club of America and then agreeing to share your thoughts in a feature piece in our magazine, NSX Driver?

Please?

Pretty please??

Last edited:
...if I can get the roof painted white (just a test question for customization beyond what is listed) and about getting a spare set of Y spoke wheels. The Sales Manager was going to speak with a Regional Rep. The form does not have anything about tire selection. These folks had not heard about the Pirelli option. I asked for them to see if the Michelins would be safe to use (like if it rained). I want to drive the car year round and plan to have 2 sets of wheels (summer tires and real snow tires (Pirelli has snows in the OEM sizes)

I would think you could place an order for the wheels with the parts dept and eventually they'll get a part number and supply the wheels.
The tires could be changed easily enough once you have the car in hand.

Interesting to hear what they say about a one-off roof color.
It's possible a request for non-standard items during the factory start-up could delay your order.
I don't think Honda is yet at the point of offering a Ferrari-like atelier service.

Keep us posted please.

RSO

i could see that happening

today or tomorrow I should receive the actual green light from the dealer that I can order the car

the sales manager told me he had spoken to the guy who had the first allocation and got a verbal instruction and because they are a good, clean organization, gave him a couple of days to confirm his choice to wait for the second allocation

if I get the green light I will look into signing on

please note my lack of photogenicity for any article, though the Chicago backdrop for any shots of the car can be phenominal

RSO

i could see that happening

today or tomorrow I should receive the actual green light from the dealer that I can order the car

the sales manager told me he had spoken to the guy who had the first allocation and got a verbal instruction and because they are a good, clean organization, gave him a couple of days to confirm his choice to wait for the second allocation

if I get the green light I will look into signing on

please note my lack of photogenicity for any article, though the Chicago backdrop for any shots of the car can be phenominal

We have some members in the Chicago area who we could assist with the photography!

Get a good pic and we can get you the cover!

JD

i agree with you completely

i am just trying to gather info/confirm what others have heard/test the system

if I have to take the car with Conti's and replace them later, it wouldn't be a show stopper, just something I would like to avoid if possible

regarding customization, my real ask is can they paint the door handles in body color and the beak black to make the car chrom free, but I started with a simpler ask to see what they came back with

i had an LFA allocation (dropped it though) and was told no bicolour cars and one alcantara wheel grips, and by late in the production run they were doing both of thoses

perhaps factory delivery

Not available.

These folks had not heard about the Pirelli option.

The Pirellas mounted to the test cars are NOT an option available through Acura. Yes, its an odd decision to use tires on test cars that are not available on the final cars, but apparently the test drivers are used to the Pirellas because of their common usage on European cars.

I asked for them to see if the Michelins would be safe to use (like if it rained).

Only at slow speeds. The Cups have very little tread.

the Conti's 5Ps have not gotten reviewed well for new NSX and by users of other cars.

The Conti 5Ps have pretty good reviews on Tire Rack . . . not as good as the Michelin SS and PS2s, but certainly not bad: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

I have the sense that I will be able to get some points to Acura via the sales manger to regional rep mechanism

Can you please let me know the exact Michelin tire you like and I will see if that can be added to the choices?

Seems unlikely that a single customer, or even a group, will be able to convince Acura to expand its tire selections in the short term. Acura obviously has a deal in place with Conti and, therefore, probably will not offer similarly classified tires from other manufacturers . . . at least not in the beginning.

regarding customization, my real ask is can they paint the door handles in body color and the beak black to make the car chrom free

Again, I doubt Acura will offer these options, which are contrary to Acura's basic design concept. Perhaps in the future.

I will definitely paint the peak. I am not yet sure whether I will paint the door handles.

Last edited:
...i am just trying to gather info/confirm what others have heard/test the system
if I have to take the car with Conti's and replace them later, it wouldn't be a show stopper, just something I would like to avoid if possible
regarding customization, my real ask is can they paint the door handles in body color and the beak black to make the car chrom free, but I started with a simpler ask to see what they came back with
i had an LFA allocation (dropped it though) and was told no bicolour cars and one alcantara wheel grips, and by late in the production run they were doing both of thoses

Ted Klaus told us at NSXPO last year there would be optional tires etc but maybe not at the start-up.
Looks like the plan for the initial cars is to keep the variables to a minimum to ease the start-up, which makes sense.
Would not be surprised down the road when the factory is in full swing and initial demand has settled, that lots of customization becomes available.
Factory customization seems to be the norm in this class of car when you look at, say, the Porsche option lists.

I am not expecting them to say ok every time

we won't get if we do not ask

plus it is fun to get information at this early stage of the program

i am hoping they have covered vans with NSX artwork on them to tote the cars to the dealerships

my dealer reached out again today to let me know they mailed the contract out to me. From yesterday's conversation, they did not want me to sign/ send any more dough until the other guy confirmed he was going to wait for the second allocation.

plus it is fun to get information at this early stage of the program

So true.

i am hoping they have covered vans with NSX artwork on them to tote the cars to the dealerships

Acura has contracted with a local transport company, so NSX artwork seems unlikely.

Rumor has it that Acura may individually ship cars from the factory to dealerships, as opposed to placing multiple cars on a single truck that are destined for nearby dealerships. I know it sounds inefficient from a cost perspective, but thats the rumor I heard.

Gadgetman,

Pilot Super Sport
I have them on two other cars (so far) and love them.
And have a few friends with assorted Ferrari's, a Porsche, and 2 Lotus plus similar cars...
For Non Track max performance Hot, dry, or wet, they seem to be the sneaker of choice.

Super,

You are many, many steps ahead of me here. Thanks for the points.

Gadgetman,once I hear back on the first set of asks, I will see what they say to Pilot Super sport thing. Likely a no, but gotta try.

The contract came in the mail today.

Of note, they only charge $195 for their doc fee.

IL sales tax will be over $14K.

I received the green light today and will get them the signed contract and 10% down.

They are going with 5% of the MSRP as non refundable.

Last edited:
Received some feedback to last week's questions:

No current tire option, everyone gets the Continentals
The factory tour will happen but timing is described as within this calendar year (infer not ready yet)
Can't order spare Y spoke wheels yet but their parts system will be updated so this can happen before winter
No special ordering to do a white roof. I did learn that body shops near the dealer have to apply to be designated to work on the new NSX

Disappointing on tires, especially since every magazine indicates the option and suggests that results from reviews were on factory-optional tires. Below pic from website confirms this. Isn't it considered bad form to give the media cars that include aftermarket *anything* ? Otherwise they'd put Cup2s on Civics before letting journalists test the handling.

Also, TireRack has the Cup2s and Trofeo Rs either in stock or available within a week.

Acura should offer compensation to early adopters for this. I suggest $2K off a spare set of wheels or $1K in cash.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 8.45.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 8.45.43 AM.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 231
chrisn,

i like your thinking here.

i guess where I am landing is though I don't really want the Continental, the other tires used for the track events are not likely to be safe in the cold/rain so I would be better served with the Conti's short term. I figure I can get a set of wiener wheels with the Pirelli snow tires and then change the Continentals to something else when they wear out.

After learning the Cup 2's and Trofeo's have low wear rating (very low on Pirelli) and not recommended for wet, I'm fine (happy actually) with them being a buyer's choice option and not forced on us non track users.
However I have to question the bad Conti reviews.
I believe they spoke of the Conti's in an All Season from.
Where as the above speaks to High Performance Summer.
Has Acura listened and changed things accordingly?!
That said, based on are we getting Conti in HP Summer or similar which might not be so bad after all? or maybe final is TBD?
Having a few to chose from for street as well as track makes sense due to varied buyers needs or perfeances.
Considering how few cars they are building/year, how good a "Bulk Buy" tire pricing break will they get anyway?
Another good reason to offer a few good choices... like M PSS's (non cups) and similar. Maybe even an actual Hi Perf (oxymoron I know) All Season should some actually want that.
Heck, Some GT-R's were ordered/bought that way... including a friend of mine's car. Yeah really!

I'm just bummed that they won't sell me the car I want (the one described in every review out there). I'm paying $10K for carbon brakes that I don't want and now need to spend an extra $2K to get the Cup2 tires I want.

I hope folks here will quickly fall in love with aftermarket wheels and sell me the take-off "Y" rims for cheap. That would ease the pain. Until cheap take-offs show up, I'll prob immediately swap out the Contis and out on Cup2s.

I am also confused about what the Conti's (all season or not) based on what has been written to date

i am guessing the optional tire went bye bye for liability. Ex, 75 year old in Miami sues after crashing in the rain.

I also believe the Conti's were developed for this car, imperfect as they may be for the track.

If you don't want CF brakes, why not trade your allocation for a later car with steel rotors?

Lots of other cars ship with Cup2s (or the like) as either standard or optional. E.g., the C7Z07 comes with Cup2s unless you say otherwise (and with 650 foot pounds of TQ in RWD its even more dangerous).

I don't want to wait for the iron brakes, because I don't like to wait. :) My problem with the carbon brakes is consumables costs, so the cost of ownership hit is much more than $10K if you track the car at all. With a car of this weight and performance, I expect it to eat pads-- especially the street-targeted (and expensive) OEM pads for carbons (in contrast to the wide variety of third party pads that will quickly be available for iron rotors).

Back