• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any dealers making actual orders with factory yet?

From what I heard from teach after training is that pads are lea$t of your worrie$ if tracking these brakes.
The tests and specs inspecting (hairline cracks limitations) then for the consumables within the disc (measured after cleaning, removal, and baking for weighing)
The discs need to fall within weight specs alone as well as tolerance difference between pairs.
However, if not concerned with warranty for failures, I guess you can skip a lot of that?

Those of us, like myself, should have no such wear and tear issues with the non iron discs if not tracking it.

Gadgetman, agreed-- but we just don't know what they will charge for replacement rotors (or pads). I have asked for specifics.

Also agreed that, paradoxically, the carbon rotors are in many respects more appropriate on the street--- but then what are you paying $10K for? The best answer I can come up with is: "less brake dust" and maybe "looks cool."

OTOH, its a losing battle to argue that ANY PART OF THE NSX is "reasonable" on purely utilitarian grounds (apart from "I like it").

Back in the day when I used to track alot and sh#t broke , my local dealer used to go to bat for me with the regional reps..I got some nice goodwill back then.....Do you guys know what would be covered under warranty?

They haven't even told me what the stated/official warranty terms are, let alone the "soft" policies on stuff that might break on track. I'm a newbie to the NSX. Maybe some Gen 1 veterans can chime in as to the Acura corporate culture from when the Gen 1 cars were under warranty-- although things may have changed at HQ, of course.

My view is that, for a car advertised as an "everyday supercar" and "track ready when it rolls out of the factory," they can't have a blanket policy of "track use voids warranty." I assume that if car is not actually "raced," but rather participates in high performance driver safety school events (with some hot lapping as part of the education), they will have a hard time being sticklers just from a PR perspective.

In the past when I needed to argue for coverage, I have been 100% successful by sending along the company's own marketing materials and saying "I am using the product as advertised/intended-- I also have a [Civic Hybrid] for getting groceries and use it as intended too."

Ted is a track guy ,but he is also beholden to the suits...Acura was very friendly to all us early nsx owners.They have always supported our national club the nsxca, which all you gen 2 owners should join.I have felt very connected to the brand because of their involvement with racing through Real Time and PD.I hope that same enthusiasm will reignite with Gen 2..

I echo Doc's comments.
Acura has always supported my NSX including at least one out of warranty goodwill repair.
Acura also sponsored a track day event in 1993 for early owners in our area.
Best car I've ever owned.

Gadgetman, agreed-- but we just don't know what they will charge for replacement rotors (or pads). I have asked for specifics.

Also agreed that, paradoxically, the carbon rotors are in many respects more appropriate on the street--- but then what are you paying $10K for? The best answer I can come up with is: "less brake dust" and maybe "looks cool."

OTOH, its a losing battle to argue that ANY PART OF THE NSX is "reasonable" on purely utilitarian grounds (apart from "I like it").

Hey Doc...
I'm right there with you on your views... especially if trying to justify the Carbons for dust and overall look factors. I was wrestling with that justification for them before learning Iron was n/a initially. So I was not overly unhappy with them settling my decision for me. But not having the choice bothered me plus I had "somewhat" decided to save the disc cost money before configuring since my driving style would not need them.
My GT-R has old school rotors and it has no stopping issues for sure. But it dusts the wheels quickly.. make that VERY QUICKLY. I'd find myself downshifting a lot more aftre a recent wash just to minimize braking. Still I'm cleaning them thoroughly (inside to inner lip) on a to frequent basis as I'm a clean freak with my Toys. Even though my GT-R has Dark Charcoal wheels, the dusting shows a lot. Just like how a dark car shows dust and dirt a few hours after a wash.
I'm ordering NSX with Interwoven in Polish finish so dusting will be even more obvious. I must admit now that if my order submit is delayed to point iron is available, I'm back on the fence as to what I'd go with.

Last edited:
In the early days of Porsche adopting composite brakes as an option the track guys did retrofit regular brakes..quite honestly I don't know whether the newer carbon brakes are any better for hpde or last longer.The cost was always the obstacle.Now I'm sure there is a brembo conspiracy to keep costs high:rolleyes:.....I wonder if you could get replacement carbon brakes from china:tongue:.....from bimbo....

The dealer confirmed my car was ordered

tomorrow is the lock date

the dealer expects to be able to provide some kind of update after that

tomorrow is the lock date

Me too. I guess we're "Batch Buddies" I hope we both get some details tomorrow, although I assume that some earlier orders already are past their "Lock Date" and yet no one seems to have hard data on production dates.

Or could this (4/1/2016) maybe be the very first "Lock Date?"

The next event in the process is the "All Configurations Locked" item.

My guess is, sometime next week we will receive some details about this.

Did your dealer have the nth NSX that your car will be (mine is supposedly 160th)?

Maybe Acura will mail something out to us next week to congratulate us on sending in enough dollars to get a new Civic as a down payment.

Last edited:
Congrats to you both!!!! I'm jealous, and assume many others are as well.
At some point I'm assuming/hoping/guessing you can find out what you are getting (like it or not) for sneakers (Conti 5P assumed), and or if there are any alternates you can chose from.
(I still wish Pilot S S were offered.)
Do share if/when that takes place.
CONGRATS to both AGAIN!

Thanks Gadgetman

Info is kind of smattered amongst the threads

My dealer reached out to the regional rep and was told there is no current tire choice, so unfortunately Conti it is

Well, if it is the Conti 5P Hi Perf Summer sneaker vs. All Season (that most reviewers stated complaints on), then perhaps not too bad.
May not be as good as it could have with Pilot SS, but perhaps an acceptable (for now) compromise. At least for drivers like me who want to have some spirited fun on the right roads and if wet , but not tracking it.
Realistically, if tracking seriously, then Cup2's or similar makes sense. Then the owner may want still want those as a dedicated sneaker for such use and a set of something else for regular roads for better ride and longevity.
Those tracking it should be able to more easily justify consumables and extras such as two sets of purposed (street vs. track) wheels and sneakers.

I asked if they knew my overall national order number. They do not.

Also, 4/1 has come and gone with no change in status.

In terms of tires, the 5Ps are the official OEM tire (per TireRack-- see below) and are the exact tires that were criticized by reviewers at Sonoma. TireRack shows no other Conti's that fit the NSX. So these are indeed the "bad tires." Bummer. Until I can get some reasonably priced spare wheels, I think I will start with a set of Cup2s and swap back the Conti's after the Cups are roasted.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 4.23.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 4.23.31 PM.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 415
that is what I would do...just swap tires when you get the car.Make sure the tire shop can handle 19-20 inch wheels.

If the 5P was what was being trashed by reviewers, just another thing they had no clue on since calling them All Season tires.
Odd that overall reviews of the 5P on Tire Rack are not that bad.
Perhaps only bad if being overly pushed in track usage and maybe fine for normal roads and less demanding but still "spirited" driving?
We'll know better once a few lucky early owners can provide some of their seat time experiences.

Congrats on your orders guys!

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=32079]Gadgetman[/MENTION] btw... I'm not sure I'd hold much stock in the reviews from Sonoma. Asides from the faults of reviewers, the good word (sorry, I can't reveal my source) is that significant improvements were made to the car in the months after Sonoma spurred by those bad reviews.

Last edited:
RYU
Good to hear.
Though several reviewers indicated the Conti's were A/S. I suspect many had no clue or were concentrating on other things and missing pretty important details for us who are actually buying.
I've got faith in ACURA making it as right as possible for initial release and hopeful most (if not all) future improvements, within realistic boundaries, are easily upgraded into earlier cars via software.
And hopefully the 5p's won't hold it back (relative to other sneakers) to much for the not track drivers.

Actually, I don't think any reviews referred to the Conti's as all season tires. They have been referred to as commuter tires, sports car tires, etc., but not all-season tires. This was to differentiate them from the true track tires.

All we have to go on is the opinions from the reviewers which universally panned the Contis and said they are an odd (and poor performing) choice for the NSX. The Michelin Super Sports are shockingly good for full-tread tires, and I wish they were an option for those not wanting track-focused tires. I can't imagine the reviewers would have complained about the performance of Super Sports on the street or the track.

Oh well. Early adopter tax I guess.

Ted Klaus said the Contis were a good all round tire for non-track NSX driving.
I think until an owner has a chance to drive the NSX with the Contis we should hold judgement.
Ted Klaus knows his business and I'd doubt he would choose an inferior tire for normal driving.

My status, as of 4-2-2016, changed to "All Config Locked." Next step is "Factory Order Confirmed." No other new info available (to me).

My dealer did not have an order process update

The 2 new pieces of info he had were:

The Factory tour is slated for August and the particulars are currently being worked out

Three employees from my dealership (my sales person, his boss and 2 service folks) are going to Ohio on May 3 for their test drives

Last edited:
Congrats on your orders guys!

- - - Updated - - -
@Gadgetman btw... I'm not sure I'd hold much stock in the reviews from Sonoma. Asides from the faults of reviewers, the good word (sorry, I can't reveal my source) is that significant improvements were made to the car in the months after Sonoma spurred by those bad reviews.

Just saw this video and I was astounded by the tail-out the car demonstrated (at 45 seconds in the clip). Seems they have eliminated the front-end push, based on the initial reviews a few months ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmD6pDS6nLk&nohtml5=False

Last edited:
Back