• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any dealers making actual orders with factory yet?

Just say this video and I was astounded by the tail-out the car demonstrated (at 45 seconds in the clip). Seems they have eliminated the front-end push, based on the initial reviews a few months ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmD6pDS6nLk&nohtml5=False
It's tough to say if using that clip as evidence. They combined video footage from the Thermal track and the earlier Sears Point (Sonoma) sessions where most of the bad reviews came from. The clip, 45 secs, into the video was at Sears Point.

According to Graham Rahal the car is quite neutral.

It's tough to say if using that clip as evidence. They combined video footage from the Thermal track and the earlier Sears Point (Sonoma) sessions where most of the bad reviews came from. The clip, 45 secs, into the video was at Sears Point.

According to Graham Rahal the car is quite neutral.

Definitely Sears Point but that clip is about as tail-out as I need to be on track! Looks like fun.

In seriousness, I think most people think of problematic understeer as being pre-apex, which slows down the max entry speed that still lets you get down to the apex. This clip looks like throttle induced oversteer (presumably controlled in part with front torque) drifting to track out. Dramatic and fun, but doesn't answer the question of how fast you can get around the whole corner.

My dealer did not have an order process update

The 2 new pieces of info he had were:

The Factory tour is slated for August and the particulars are currently being worked out

Three employees from my dealership (my sales person, his boss and 2 service folks) are going to Ohio on May 3 for their test drives

Hmmm
Isn't that FOUR? (1+1+2)

Bo biggie. I think you're just getting overly excited on your order progressing while others of us are in limbo. ( I would be)
So weather your math is bad or not we're all just jealous!

Bagged on the bean count

I re-read what my salesperson sent me and only edited part of the line.

One of the things I have been pleasantly surprised about during the process is how into the car my dealership is. I had a great chat with the salesperson and sales manager when I got bumped up to the first allocation and I got a real sense that they are thrilled about the NSX program. They were also quite candid about how difficult Acura has made things regarding information flow.

They have been working the angles they have to get Intel on stuff like the factory tour coming in August.

I would hope that Acura puts a concierge in place to be a point person for the customers, dream on.

I would hope that Acura puts a concierge in place to be a point person for the customers, dream on.

Agreed. The folks at my dealer have been great also, but information is sparse. My guy is going to the training/driving thing in Ohio first week of May. He proactively asked me to load him up with questions, which I have been doing. I suggest you do the same with your guy. Maybe they'll get the message that people want more details.

Also, are there just two of us here who have confirmed orders (and talking about it)? I don't know how big this forum is, but that factoid alone is a bit weird, no?

chrisn

i believe there are a few other folks here who are waiting for their allocations

I learned from the LFA program is that only a small subset of high end car junkies hit the forums

I agree that we should feed our dealers so they can pepper Acura with questions in between pis sin their pants during their drives

My dealer got some questions answered by their regional rep and I have be trying to maintain some discipline and not send 5 pages of Qs.

I believe there is a thread of Qs on this site and maybe we can build up a good list.

For example, I haven't seen a full set of dash screens to see if we get actual tire pressure readings like my Infiniti gives me.

chrisn

i believe there are a few other folks here who are waiting for their allocations

I learned from the LFA program is that only a small subset of high end car junkies hit the forums

I agree that we should feed our dealers so they can pepper Acura with questions in between pis sin their pants during their drives

My dealer got some questions answered by their regional rep and I have be trying to maintain some discipline and not send 5 pages of Qs.

I believe there is a thread of Qs on this site and maybe we can build up a good list.

For example, I haven't seen a full set of dash screens to see if we get actual tire pressure readings like my Infiniti gives me.

I was wondering about TPS as well and I'm pretty sure I recall seeing in a pic or vid that showed all four at once... which my '05 RL does also. So I was good. (Hopefully I did see vs imagine seeing it ... just like I now image driving it?!)

What I'd really like to see is if there is a display of the torque vectoring such as my RL also shows.
It shows all four tires in a graphic with bars increasing outward to them as applicable.
I find it interesting to go somewhat hard into a turn and see the magic which happens with the SHAWD.
And similar w/o going hard in snow or slightly hard with wet roads.

Since the new sys is so much more advanced, the info is there so why not show it?
Unfortunately, I haven't seen any display shots which might have it or an allocated location for it.
Something our dealers tests rides should shed light on if we can't get more directly

Per this: http://www.acura.com/PressReleaseArticle.aspx?category=nsx&year=2015&id=8723-en#~pHCZx7uxTszsxR

TPMS system has "Pressure Indicators," so presumably shows PSI and not just flat (or not).

Gadget: We have an MDX so know the SHAWD screen you are referring to. Even in the MDX, I've often thought "If you're wondering if it's working, you shouldn't be looking at the screen (versus road)!" I imagine this would be true times ten in the NSX! I wish the car had data logging like the Z06. Would be fun AFTER THE FACT to see video overlaid with SH-AWD data, G forces, Throttle/brake/steering sensors, etc.

One of my asks will be: "When can we download a PDF Owners' Manual?", as that should comprehensively answer a lot of details.

Was surfing a bit last night and I Found some interesting/informative NEW NEWS? info from Recent Torque news.
Pretty Special/Cool Indeed!

Manufacturing NSX takes no less than 10 days in production for one Acura NSX supercar to make it to final dyno and rain-room weather testing. Kid gloves insure fingerprint-free customer delivery The car’s never touched with an ungloved hand, and is never exposed to outdoor elements and weather conditions prior to dealership delivery. And that’s done in a climate controlled enclosed car carrier. -

See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/1574/insi...nufacturing-center-video#sthash.lOrd8UuG.dpuf
or
http://www.torquenews.com/1574/inside-acura-s-nsx-performance-manufacturing-center-video

Nice find GadgetmanI had read 11 days from start to finishSaying full production in April reads funny as I beleve Acura said serial production to start on April 29.I have never seen a climate controlled car carrier and I work near a Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin, Lotus, McLaren, Koenigsegg dealership, and have seen many big rig car carriers.

Glad to contribute to our need for useful info.
I had not heard of climate controlled trailers either and not sure why even necessary. But "cool" just the same.
Now I have to wonder, with all the efforts of gloved final treatment and the enclosed carrier...
Will it still get a form of wrapping which is not needed with gloves, and enclosed trailer negates the need of protection for travel in elements.
SO, why not just put it in the trailer and before closing it up, protect it from dust with the accessory cover and include that as a freebie PR token?
Hey ACURA.. WaDaYaThnk?

The way I read it, the article seems to imply this may be a one car at a time trailer. But I suspect it could be more than one for some efficiencies (to dealers in a small given zone/area), but not many more.

Agree that "climate controlled" trailer seems odd. So much so, that I suspect that something was lost in translation and the article just got it wrong.

Good point on the travel wrapping. It does seem that they could skip that step for US cars shipped direct to dealers.

I meant to comment on some other "timing" thoughts I had for you lucky earlier orders, and eventually mine once the allocation submittal flag gets waved for my dealer.
We know or assume that serial number cars may have started this week or will be started soon. Once started, we now know it tales ~ 10 days from start of assembly till done and tested (assuming no hiccups).
So lets say they start next Monday (4/11). OK maybe a bit presumptuous but let's go with it.
So that means the first 8 (or close to that) for Rick's 2, and maybe Jay & Jerry should be ready for shipment about 2 weeks later... or ~ 4/25. (we'll know better once there may be a leak that Ricks, or the J's have shipped or been received.)
From that point onward, we "hope" they will be shipping about 32- 40 +/- / week... pending if/how they stock pile and load them to go.
Various postings indicate/suggest the first 100+ orders are probably going to special people who have leverage/connections or some special lineage... ( which may be beyond US borders of course)
So perhaps we can be a little conservative and "Assume" the initial John Q Public orders will be built and can start shipping after ~ 3+ weeks past 4/25 or at some point after 5/16.
Sound reasonable?

Plausible.....but who knows. I wish there were "John Qs" on NSX Prime with very early orders (but not "insiders"). I think the "clock" won't start until those guys get firm delivery estimates.

I'm hoping for early/mid-june.

Theoretically, all sounds fine.How did you determine the production start date as that would be the key piece of info.We also need to know how many days a week they will run the plant. We have seen the number 4 and if that is the case, a car started on April 29 (per Acura's message of the date of serial production commencing) would come off the line after 11 work days, bringing us to May 17.

I had no bases for starting on next Monday. Just a point of reference to start with which we can shift/adjust once we have some actual (leaked or public) data. Once we have real data, then just add the amount of weeks in error. And as you mentioned about the work week uncertainty, I covered that by saying "ABOUT 32 - 40 +/-week" once stable of course. hmmm I wonder if they might ramp up a bit in beginning to gain some momentum on early deliveries. I think I saw that hinted at in some interview. Regardless, it is was it will be.

I'm laughing reading this because you guys are just consoling each other chomping at the bit.......Strange feeling plunking down a bunch of money for an object you can't immediately receive...Like Christmas but the walk down the stairs to the living room takes weeks.:eek:

Once the dealers go to do their test drives we should be able to populate the scenarios with some actuals, but that trip is 4 weeks from nowWhat happened to Bruce in FL? I think his shmo dealer wanted a 50% non refundable deposit.

I'm laughing reading this because you guys are just consoling each other chomping at the bit.......Strange feeling plunking down a bunch of money for an object you can't immediately receive...Like Christmas but the walk down the stairs to the living room takes weeks.:eek:

You're kinda right and I have no issue with that. At 64, I like feeling the excitement a kid has at Christmas or similar:smile:. I have too many good friends living in semi boredom routines w/o anything significant to look forward to.
It's been along wait for sure. Especially since placing my deposit almost 3 yrs ago. But I had other priorities I wanted to deal with first, and those aren't quite done yet so I'm fine with what delays remain (within reason). Though this "kid" is getting a little anxious, he's liking it.:rolleyes:

64 is a great age for a supercar...a youth serum...:wink:

I'm laughing reading this because you guys are just consoling each other chomping at the bit

Exactly. Without getting into details, the above projections for deliveries are far from reality. Acura will not be producing anywhere near 32 cars per week in the beginning -- not even close. There are several factors at play here that I am not at liberty to disclose, but suffice it to say that deliveries will take longer than some here hope or forecast. Consider yourself fortunate if you receive a first allocation car in July. I have a first allocation order -- you don't want to know when I am supposed to receive my car (if I decide to wait it out).

64 is a great age for a supercar...a youth serum...:wink:

Thnx
It must be true since coming from a "doc".:rolleyes:
Now if you would be so kind to write me a script for the NSX so I can tell my dealers I only have to give him a Co Pay and have my insurance cover the rest. I might even kick in a little more since a non typical script with no generic available.:biggrin:

funny but true story
My '09 GT-R was justified as my pre/early retirement present to self... so I refinanced mortgage and borrowed the extra needed to minimize impact. Interestingly, that a short time after delivery (8 months later) I noted the logo and then realized it was meant to be. Since a kid many have tagged me with a nickname just using my initials GT. So my realization was... GT-R = GT- Retired. (Note I was between the GT-R and NSX back then. But upon NSX being dropped, GT-R it became)

Now here I am doing similar again (sorta), having placed my deposit for NSX, just a few weeks after retiring in '13. IT is to be my ultimate retirement present/reward to self.
And I recently refinanced the mortgage again to gain the funding needed (with no change to my monthly bills... and monthly premium actually went down a bit.. but of course the end date moved out)
Not sure how I can work NSX acronym in like the GT-R did. I'll have to put some thought on that.

In mean time, I'll await my prescription from my new bestest Doc.
Please Doc, get it to me before my dealer gets his allocation green light to submit my build order so I don't have to add to my deposit.

I'll make it prn for ya....:biggrin: and yes I am now your personal physician...even if I am just a film critic...

I would echo the comments from Superfluous.

You do not generally open up the factory shop floor and reach max output immediately.

I previously worked for a Biotech where the leadership tried to tell the street that after approval of their patient specific cancer vaccine, that they would immediately have the facility full of bench top fermentors at max capacity. That company is kaput.

Plus with this project Acura will be cutting their teeth with ordering/receiving parts specific to a build (like seats: manual, power, leather/alcantara, leather/leather, color) and that will require some coordination (i.e. takes some time to get used to).

I will also be interested in how they will train the sales folks on how to do deliveries. When I picked up my Q50S Hybrid in 2013, the dealer had not been trained on the car (totally on Infiniti for that) and it was pretty funny to watch 2 guys from the dealership try to figure out the functions.

I will also be interested in how they will train the sales folks on how to do deliveries. When I picked up my Q50S Hybrid in 2013, the dealer had not been trained on the car (totally on Infiniti for that) and it was pretty funny to watch 2 guys from the dealership try to figure out the functions.

That is why they should let us download the owner's manual before we pick up the car. That way we can study up on how to operate the car beforehand.

Back