• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any dealers making actual orders with factory yet?

I would echo the comments from Superfluous.

You do not generally open up the factory shop floor and reach max output immediately.

I previously worked for a Biotech where the leadership tried to tell the street that after approval of their patient specific cancer vaccine, that they would immediately have the facility full of bench top fermentors at max capacity. That company is kaput.

Plus with this project Acura will be cutting their teeth with ordering/receiving parts specific to a build (like seats: manual, power, leather/alcantara, leather/leather, color) and that will require some coordination (i.e. takes some time to get used to).

I will also be interested in how they will train the sales folks on how to do deliveries. When I picked up my Q50S Hybrid in 2013, the dealer had not been trained on the car (totally on Infiniti for that) and it was pretty funny to watch 2 guys from the dealership try to figure out the functions.

As for build time, did they not learn anything with the 100+ they've built for tests etc to date?
And this high tech facility should accommodate parts easily as needed for a 10 day/specific car build time.

Gadgetman,

Yes, I would agree that the 150 + or - they have built means they have learned something about building them.

What if, for example something goes wrong on the rotary welding station? I don't believe they have a second one to shift to, so they would be stuck until it is back in service.

if they stockpile components that would certainly help, but we don't know how lean they will be running this shop.

All True. But I have to think with this much invested plus delays to get here, they are prepared for assorted equipment failures. If not, shame on them as that would be extremely costly. And for failures as suggested, that could happen anytime though I'd think later than sooner after a large number of builds. Though being such a critical tool, I hope they have some proper spec monitoring and PM program in place. I would hope that the 150 practice units would have put everything through enough paces to prove weak links and then improve the system till it works as desired. Prudent planning come serial number and "finally" making profit money time arrives.
Lastly, I recall watching a session recently with Ted where I believe he said they may try to ramp production up beyond normal pace (within reason) in the beginning to catch up on lost time to date and get some extra buyer cars spread out there ASAP. But only time will tell for sure. In mean time all we can do is play guessing games here with some form of logical reasoning (and maybe some SWAG) behind it.

The test cars were not built in the normal course, using the same production procedures/protocols as the production cars. Rather, the test cars were one off experimental cars that were individually built using different protocols/procedures, at a different pace, with different levels of supervision and supplemental input. Yes, the production line equipment was used, but not in the same manner as it will be used when the production cars are built.

Moreover, Acura continues to change parts on the car, including this month, and that causes changes to the production line. These changes will lower the output at the begining of production.

Moreover, Acura is experiencing meaningful problems with one or more third party parts suppliers. I cannot get into details, but an essential part currently cannot be produced at a rate consistent with Acura's stated output estimates. The rate of production will be considerably less than projected unless and until Acura and the third party vendor resolve this issue (efforts are underway).

Moreover, the factory will be shutting down shortly after production commences (e.g., approximately June) for a schedule hiatus/vacation. I am not sure of the length of the shut down, but I would estimate around two weeks.

Based on the foregoing, if you have a very early production slot (e.g., the first order batch), and your car is produced before the factory shut down, you might see your car in June or July. On the other hand, if you have a later production slot, I would not expect to receive a car until August, September or later. I have a production slot less than 200, and the current projected delivery is September, but only if no further delays are encountered -- I have been warned that it could be later.

I genuinely hope that Acura is able to quickly resolve all of the existing obstacles and everyone in this thread receives their cars within a few months. I personally am losing steam and may close a deal shortly on a different car.

I liked Superfluous's point regarding supplier constraints.When I heard they are using Cosworth heads I immediatey started to wonder if that would be a weakness in the supply chain.

It sounds like the only thing we truly know about delivery timing is that we don't know much about delivery timing.

We have a fair bit of information about what the future steady-state world looks like, but don't know when "Time Zero" is-- or the ramp rate from there to full production.

Thnx (I think) Superfluous.
Well, at least I/we know a bit more of circumstances and the impacts now than I previously assumed.
And that is on top of the issues at hand with air bag.
They are offering all those affected (which now includes my '05 RL which was previously unaffected) free loaners until the owners car is updated.
That is a ton of $$$ expenses and added paper work and physical work ahead etc. Ouch.

Oh well.
As they say, the longer it takes, the better it gets?
Hope that applies.

without naming names at what level in the chain is your "source"

Today's update from the dealer was that my order has moved to the "all configurations locked" stop on the time line.

I asked when a build date will be assigned and maybe I will hear back on that one this coming week.

Today's update from the dealer was that my order has moved to the "all configurations locked" stop on the time line.

Cool.

I was scheduled for "All Config Looked" on 4/1/16. It actually flipped over to this status on 4/2, and has been stuck there for a week. It feels like the next step, "Factory Order Confirmed" is the first real indication that they are thinking about building our cars on a concrete time line. Everything before could just be data for their inventory management / supply chain.

For other cars I have ordered, this is the point in the process where the factor will bounce back with "supply constraints"-- meaning they'll say "we can't build your car now with Option X; you want to delete that option or wait?" Other than the annoying "no iron brakes" constraints (which feels more business-driven than supplier-driven), I wonder if we'll face any of that stuff here.

If any of you guys get a car before nsxpo you better "bring it":biggrin:

Orlando is a dump, no thanks

The constraint thing may be interesting.

I did not order any of the CF do dads or the the higher priced wheels, so if they are constraints I suppose my build could move up. No way to tell yet.

My status change was also listed as April 2. The delay in communication to me appears to be that the Sales Manager has visibility to that information on line and my sales person is subsequently informed by the Sales Manager.

The event is more important than the venue....

of course..I have 8 and 11 yo's:wink:...we had a great xpo in Fl in 06......

.I was hard core enough to start having kids in my mid 40's:tongue:........that said of course I understand your unwillingness to drive around Orlando in your new car...I just put it out there hoping we can get a brand new owner to show up if cars get delivered in time..No pressure:cool:

Disneyland > Disney World. If in Anaheim, I'm there. 6K mile round trip too much. It does raise the issue of trunk space for long trips. 3.9 ft^3 sounds doable for a weekend getaway with a one soft-sided bag/person-- but a bit tight for a proper road trip of indefinite duration. Also, no ventilated/massage seats like my M5-- essential equipment for summer road trips.

fwiw my crappy cell phone pics of dealer samples...

Attachments

• WP_20160427_13_06_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160427_13_06_58_Pro.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 48
  • WP_20160427_13_07_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160427_13_07_07_Pro.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 42
Disneyland > Disney World. If in Anaheim, I'm there. 6K mile round trip too much. It does raise the issue of trunk space for long trips. 3.9 ft^3 sounds doable for a weekend getaway with a one soft-sided bag/person-- but a bit tight for a proper road trip of indefinite duration. Also, no ventilated/massage seats like my M5-- essential equipment for summer road trips.

Not sure if the new NSX trunk is smaller than the old NSX trunk but I've taken road trips up to 8k miles over several weeks in my old one.
No luggage issues at all.
If the new NSX seats are as good as the old ones there will be no need for ventilated/massage seats.

If I have a car, It will be there. You bringing the kids? Plan on having my 8 and 11 y/o in attendance.

Back