• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inside the NSX factory in Marysville

Enjoy.........
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rFAYu4Sr6bI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What a fantastic video! Thanks for posting.

No break-in of the engine. Thats interesting.

What a fantastic video! Thanks for posting.

No break-in of the engine. Thats interesting.
The engines are broke in at the ANNA engine plant for one hour, on one of two engine dynos at various loads and rpm. The cars are "ready for the track" right out of the gate because of this extensive and time consuming step.

Ps.....the 9spd gearboxes are broke-in in Japan ahead of shipping to the ANNA plant, where they are mated to the electric motor, and Cosworth long block after the engine dyno. It an amazing process.

7fef1fc44b4f976468d113a78adff451.jpg

Such a fun trip. If any of you have questions, ask here and I'll pop in as I can to answer.

Such a fun trip. If any of you have questions, ask here and I'll pop in as I can to answer.

Thank you for all of this!

I have a question, did you ever come across any comments or explanations of how the electric front wheel drive system gets cooled? Can it overheat? Does it just rely on ram air cooling to provide forced air convection to cool it?

Thank you for all of this!

I have a question, did you ever come across any comments or explanations of how the electric front wheel drive system gets cooled? Can it overheat? Does it just rely on ram air cooling to provide forced air convection to cool it?
There are multiple Cooling devices, far more than just air cooling. There are around 180 Mules that have undergone testing all over the world, including rigorous track testing. Overheating was likely addressed by now.

As far as a defeat, it's a diagnostic mode and not a driving mode. The entire car is electronic and dependant on the hybrid system to power the accessories. For instance, there is no engine starter. The electric motor doubles as the starter....

The days of analog cars are over, sadly, but electronics are just faster.

did they say why production hasn't started yet?

is the production rate and volume constrained by the number of engine builders?

did they talk about how many cars will go to each country?

any details about the factory tours to watch your car being built?

did they discuss how they will get the cars to the dealers?

Although production officially commences in late April, when will the plant be at full capacity (10 cars per day). Will they start at full capacity, or will full capacity be achieved at some point down the line?

At ten cars per day, Acura can produce first allocation cars for all 250ish certified NSX dealers within one month. That said, I doubt that Acura will start at full capacity.

did they say why production hasn't started yet?

did they talk about how many cars will go to each country?

did they discuss how they will get the cars to the dealers?
They are still in test mode, making final adjustments to further refine the cars. The sad part? Every mule you've seen on the road will see the crusher.

There are four engine build stations and assuming the process goes smoothly, each station can assemble two engines per day. So, you're probably right that engine supply may dictate daily output.

There are four engine build stations and assuming the process goes smoothly, each station can assemble two engines per day. So, you're probably right that engine supply may dictate daily output.

I thought the engines were built by a third party?

Based on what I have heard, engine production appears to be the bottleneck that, at least in the beginning, will dictate the pace of production of completed cars.

Production is constrained by the number of employees they've put through the specialty training to assembly the NSX.

I didn't get a chance to follow up on this but at the launch they said that they're considering some sort of factory delivery experience. They have a test track over there that one of the R&D guys said maybe they'll use as part of that, although that sounded like something that was only in the concept/discussion phase.

Based on what I have heard, engine production appears to be the bottleneck that, at least in the beginning, will dictate the pace of production of completed cars.
The engines are built at the ANNA Honda plant an hour away from the PMC

Engine components are produced by a couple of different companies but design is from Honda R&D Japan, assembled in Ohio. Cosworth, Pankl, and a few others make the components I think.

I didn't get a chance to follow up on this but at the launch they said that they're considering some sort of factory delivery experience. They have a test track over there that one of the R&D guys said maybe they'll use as part of that, although that sounded like something that was only in the concept/discussion phase.

I was recently informed that there will be factory tours, you will not be able to see your actual car being manufactured, and factory delivery is not available.

- - - Updated - - -

The engines are built at the ANNA Honda plant an hour away from the PMC

Engine components are produced by a couple of different companies but design is from Honda R&D Japan, assembled in Ohio. Cosworth, Pankl, and a few others make the components I think.

That explains it. Thanks.

Check out that flat torque curve!! Who needs VTEC when you've got electric motors to compensate.

Also, I can echo the production delays are due to vendors and supply side availability. "Cosworth" has been thrown around in a few conversations I've been privy to.
I think the standard 15% drive train loss is adequate here. Nothing concrete. Here is the chart in the press pack though

1d87070fd7287ad2341e8e826cca35af.jpg

Check out that flat torque curve!! Who needs VTEC when you've got electric motors to compensate.

Also, I can echo the production delays are due to vendors and supply side availability. "Cosworth" has been thrown around in a few conversations I've been privy to.
b08313391507ff053377dacfc22341bf.jpg

^that says it all.

b08313391507ff053377dacfc22341bf.jpg

^that says it all.

Well, it doesn't quite say it all. I'd like to see the horizontal scale / units and know the elapsed time and speed at which the "traditional" sports car begins accelerating faster than the NSX (and thus begins to reel it in). Also need to know the exact reference car they used. A graph of speed versus time would also be informative. Then it would say it all (in terms of straight line).

My assumption is that something like the C7Z06 would get spanked 0-50 but would end up being faster in the 1/4 mile (with higher trap speed). In a race from a roll, I assume the NSX would get the jump and pull a couple of lengths but would get reeled in. I think it would come down to how long the NSX is cable of maintaining maximum output before something overheats or battery is depleted.

Well, it doesn't quite say it all. I'd like to see the horizontal scale / units and know the elapsed time and speed at which the "traditional" sports car begins accelerating faster than the NSX (and thus begins to reel it in). Also need to know the exact reference car they used. A graph of speed versus time would also be informative. Then it would say it all (in terms of straight line).

My assumption is that something like the C7Z06 would get spanked 0-50 but would end up being faster in the 1/4 mile (with higher trap speed). In a race from a roll, I assume the NSX would get the jump and pull a couple of lengths but would get reeled in. I think it would come down to how long the NSX is cable of maintaining maximum output before something overheats or battery is depleted.
The ending of your argument is valid. The downside of hybrid. I don't have that data and only track time would generate it.

[MENTION=32457]chrisn[/MENTION]

Valid points but if you're looking for that kind of prolonged performance the NSX is probably the wrong car? With that said, Ted has expressed the consistency is there for a track day enthusiast... Whatever that means.

To me, that power band is incredible for a street car which the NSX is; an everyday supercar.

Back