• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Make a NSX "Titanium" Monel Key work for '97+

I have a 2000 NSX which uses the '97+ style key with the immobilizer chip in the head of the key. I wanted the cool looking all metal key. So this is what I did to get the Monel Key to work.

*Updated to included a better explanation and answer a few questions I have recevied*

1. Get yourself a couple of T5 clone keys off of ebay. There are several options. Don't worry about how they look or if they are different than mine. They just need to state T5 clone and work on Honda/Acura. An example would be below. This one happens to have an Acura label while others will have a Honda label. Does not matter. You are buying these for the chip inside and possibly just to have a spare key. If you search you can probably find cheaper that give you several keys.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Red-A-A...ash=item4d37d272ff:g:-~oAAOSwLqFV7iwl&vxp=mtr

2. Buy a "Titanium" Monel Key. They show up on ebay and Prime occassionally. Also you could as your dealer. But the easiest way is to hit up SOS and buy one from them.
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...titanium-look-key-blank-nsx-1991-96-only.html

3. Go get your keys cut and cloned. Don't waste your time or money with a dealership! I will say it again. Don't waste your time or money with a dealership! Ok now that we have that straight.

4. I would recommend finding a local locksmith. They be able to cut and clone your new keys based on one of your currently working key. Ideally you have a spare working key which is basically unused. Use that one as using the everyday key will have worn down edges. You will get a better copy/cut from your spare key which should still have clean sharp edges and not be worn down from use. ***You do not need to bring your car.*** Just the keys. Remember you are cloning(copying) a preprogrammed chip to another, you are not creating a new code. Anyone that tells you to bring the car is an idiot and doesn't know what they are doing. When someone asks for the car they are trying to do what a dealer would do...program a new code to your immobilizer system. I think our cars can have up to 7 different codes. But that is expensive. Just use the 1 working code you have now and copy it as many times as you want. The immobilizer system just reads a code. It doesn't matter if its a copy of the same code. It just sees the code.
Also you could go to a home depot or lowes but this is at your own risk! They have an automatic machine that clones and cuts your keys. They will do them for free. However I ruined a Monel key that way because the home depot person didn't fit the key in there correctly and it made a bad copy. $100 bucks down the drain. So don't be cheap. Go to a local locksmith who knows what they are doing and spend $10 or so.

5.Cut open the head of your clone donor key. You can use a box cutter knife/razor or a dremmel if you prefer. Shouldn't be to difficult. Remove the embedded chip. It may be glued in there so just pry it out. Don't worry about damaging the chip. It is encased by a small plastic box/rectangle where as the chip itself is inside a "pill" shaped vial. You should be able to see part of it.

6. Take your alarm key fob (Everyone should have an alarm for their baby) open it up and place the chip wherever it fits. In some cases you may need to remove the actually "pill" the chip is in instead of using the whole plastic rectangle. I didn't as my fob had plenty of room.

7. Closes the fob and ensure a good fit.

8. Now when starting car you need to hold the fob against the side of key as you start it. This puts the hidden chip close enough to the ignition for the immobilizer code to be read. You should see the green key symbol on your dash light up while it searches for the code and then turn off when it reads it. You can then start the car. You can let the alarm fob dangle freely now. The code is only read on startup as opposed to continuous.

9. Done. Enjoy your new all metal "Titanium" Monel Key on your '97+ NSX.

Bonus. Nobody but you will know how to start your car. So if your keys get lost, copied or stolen no worries. Also, this is safer than the hacks that remove the immobilizer chip and attach them on inside or outside of the steering column near the ignition which puts the chip permanently in the car. Yikes, this allows any cut key to work or anyone with skill to pick the ignition and drive off in your car. No bueno.

4aeda8b390d1918a47a61c81c95f708f.jpg
54bf74dcb788d1247884e8c0773de2ee.jpg
b3f3ade91637cd0f1c18b13b8b5aaaab.jpg
cb197cee1985ff15f1ed345813064bce.jpg
a6be5a22e33067ed16bc853cefdcea07.jpg
286333abf90695d8ade277f0b173b35d.jpg

Last edited:
I hope people agree it is a relatively straight forward, cheap and easy mod.

$100 Monel Key
$5 eBay programable T5 clone key as donor
$5 get keys cut and donor chip cloned from your normal key
15 mins to complete once you have all the pieces.

Also, go get a real locksmith to cut your expensive key and not the cheap automatic cutters they have at home depot. Ruined a key that way. I was so pissed at myself for that one.

cant find the "box" they have for this but this gives you an idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reSyRjBap90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXE5FerW4CU

Yes that is one way but I wouldn't do that as you are leaving the immobilizer chip and a key inside the vehicle all the time.

Part of the reason I don't like the aftermarket startup engine kits. They typically do essentially the exact same thing to bypass the immobilizer code "hiding" a full key inside vehicle. Basically just hoping a person doesn't take 10secs to dig around for the hidden key and drive off in your car with almost zero effort.

I am happy to relay this mod was a success. I was able to order the NSX key, T-5 keys, and go to the Locksmith to program the T-5 key. The first Locksmith said they did not have the setting in the equipment for an NSX. But they did cut my keys for free. The second Locksmith said I had to bring in my car. The third locksmith did not need my car and just programmed the keys for free. Score! I just tested the keys and performed the surgery on the clone key for the chip. Added the chip to my remote control and vioala! My Monel Key works with the chip in my remote. This is great. Texmorales, thanks for the mod.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I am happy to relay this mod was a success. I was able to order the NSX key, T-5 keys, and go to the Locksmith to program the T-5 key. The first Locksmith said they did not have the setting in the equipment for an NSX. But they did cut my keys for free. The second Locksmith said I had to bring in my car. The third locksmith did not need my car and just programmed the keys for free. Score! I just tested the keys and performed the surgery on the clone key for the chip. Added the chip to my remote control and vioala! My Monel Key works with the chip in my remote. This is great. Texmorales, thanks for the mod.

attachment.php

Sweet, glad to hear it. Now we might get a rush on metal keys and the price will spike! Ha.

Also, you experienced what I did. People telling you they need the car or blah blah. I encourage everyone to just turn around and go to the next locksmith until you find one that actually knows what they are doing. I wouldn't even tell them it's for an NSX. Just say it's an Acura or Honda and leave it at that. Cut my key and clone the code. Thanks.

Well at least you got it all done for free!

I bought a key at Home depot and they cloned my immoblizer. I think it was about $40 total. I had the dealer cut my monel key. If they mess up, I know they will replace it.

So when I bought my car it only came with one key, the one with the black plastic base. I purchased a Monel key through SOS and was about to go get it cloned based on the only key I have but realized that my key is kinda worn from being the ONLY key.

Has anyone gone to the dealer and had them cut you a brand new one? I've heard that they can look up the key pattern by referencing some numbers stamped on the keys, but mine doesn't have any such identification. Alternatively, I've also heard that they can look up some kind of serial number that is on one of the lock cylinders in the car? Anyone have any experience with this? Gonna call the Acura dealer tomorrow and see what they say...

So when I bought my car it only came with one key, the one with the black plastic base. I purchased a Monel key through SOS and was about to go get it cloned based on the only key I have but realized that my key is kinda worn from being the ONLY key.

Has anyone gone to the dealer and had them cut you a brand new one? I've heard that they can look up the key pattern by referencing some numbers stamped on the keys, but mine doesn't have any such identification. Alternatively, I've also heard that they can look up some kind of serial number that is on one of the lock cylinders in the car? Anyone have any experience with this? Gonna call the Acura dealer tomorrow and see what they say...

Glad you noticed your key was a little worn before having your Monel key cut. Its not that it won't work, its just not good practice to copy a key from a worn out one.

You will have to use a dealership for your situation since your key is worn out and you don't' have the key cut code #. Call your dealer and ask what proof you will need to bring and show them that you do indeed own the car. Should be something like your license and registration (maybe your title, just depends on what they accept). After that they should be able to search your VIN# to identify your key code # associated with it. Also, your dealer may or may not cut your new monel key for you. Some have a policy unless you bought it from them directly they won't cut it. Just ask, maybe they will be cool about it. If not buy the cheapest key you can from them, one with out the immobilizer chip and have it cut to your key cut code #. After all you have a working chip in your worn out key already and you only need a clean new key cut. You can then take your new key cut, old worn out key and any additional spares you want made to a locksmith and he can take it from there.

Good luck.

That seems really dumb. Why wouldn't they cut your key for you? I'm probably missing something here.

Either way, I have a 92, so no immobilizer chip for me. So it sounds like if dealers won't cut a Monel key, they'll cut a regular key? In that case, yeah, get regular key cut, then take that to locksmith along with Monel key. Thanks!

That seems really dumb. Why wouldn't they cut your key for you? I'm probably missing something here.

Either way, I have a 92, so no immobilizer chip for me. So it sounds like if dealers won't cut a Monel key, they'll cut a regular key? In that case, yeah, get regular key cut, then take that to locksmith along with Monel key. Thanks!

I'd venture to guess most dealers won't cut it for free because they don't make the profit and could possibly mess the cut up. If they make a bad cut ($100 key rendered useless) you purchased elsewhere, will you be okay with that?

I'd venture to guess most dealers won't cut it for free because they don't make the profit and could possibly mess the cut up. If they make a bad cut ($100 key rendered useless) you purchased elsewhere, will you be okay with that?

Kennyvb is spot on. If you buy from them, they cut the key as part of the sale and if they screw up the $100 key they will replace it at no charge. If you didn't buy it from them and they screw up a key your brought in, regardless of them cutting it for free or charging $10. Who pays for that $100 key (again not really an issue on a $2 plain key). They typically don't want the hassle of an unhappy customer or special ordering a new key. So several, not all dealers just have a policy about cutting outside keys...regardless if you bring it to them still in the OEM shrink wrap.

Again just ask. Personally I would rather trust a locksmith that does it all day everyday for 20+ years than some random parts guy to cut my $100 key. I made that mistake already!

Personally I would rather trust a locksmith that does it all day everyday for 20+ years than some random parts guy to cut my $100 key. I made that mistake already!

Funny, that is how I feel about wheel alignments;).....

Thread resurrection!
I'd like to do this, but it seems like a waste to order an OEM key, program it, and then cut it apart to get the T5 chip. Is this chip all I need to avoid cutting?

Or is there some other way to just buy the chip and have it programmed?

Back