• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carbon brakes are a "required option" for now; Anyone worried about consumables?

Carbon brakes are a "required option" for now; Anyone worried about consumables?

As most have figured out from the configurator, carbon brakes are an oxymoronic "required option" for $10K.

Carbon brakes are great for dust control, but can be a horrible option for track use given the significantly higher pad expense (and fewer choices) and DRAMATICALLY higher rotor expenses (can be 5-10X the price of iron).

I have a note into Acura articulating this concern and asking for comparative costs for OEM pads and rotors for the iron system versus carbon.

In my experience, the big iron options are just fine on the track, even under very hard use.

Does anyone have info on consumables costs or info on why the carbon brakes would be "worth it" for folks who go to the track. With this much weight and performance, even with a little help from regen braking, I'm thinking a set of front pads will be good for 2-4 track days at most.

Is it possible to intervene very early and change the pads before necessary in order to preserve the original rotors and thereby reduce the cost of the initial brake job?

Is it possible to intervene very early and change the pads before necessary in order to preserve the original rotors and thereby reduce the cost of the initial brake job?

Yes, but early pad changes are part of the problem. On my 997TT (last car that I dumbly ASKED for Carbons), I had a situation where a pad at 15%+ thickness (wear sensor still intact) got so hot on track that it delaminated from the backing and scored the rotor. Of course they want to replace both rotors on axle at same time--- Total bill was >$10K (rears only). I bitched and they did the work under warranty as an accommodation, but were VERY clear: "never again." Porsches's advice was: Only use pads down to 33% thickness. This means if you are doing a weekend event and don't want the hassle of a paddock change (not a big deal, but no fun if hot outside and car never cools down), you pretty much need to discard whatever pads you have and use a new set. Overall, fear of damaging rotors leads to a big real-world reduction in useable life of pads. I soon went to iron Brembos (GT kit? Can't remember-- big ones) and have been very happy.

I have simply asked for the Acura price for pads and rotors of both types. Info that Acura knows for sure, but perhaps is not in the dealer parts system yet.

I suspect carbon pads with cost 2X and rotors will cost 4X versus iron. Bummer.

This is another reason i am holding off buying one.

Check my thread "Some useful info for all" in the 2nd gen section in regards to current DC metro area pricing on brake components.

-greg

One way to tackle the problem is to give your new NSX to brembo or Stoptech for a week so they can fit a custom set. It will probably be available sooner than from Acura. You can then sell your carbons to a guy who wants the bling later on when Acura decides to make steel available in the base model. Might get an early adopter sponsorship discount too.

As a matter of fact, designing a rotor hat for an existing steel rotor that fits the NSX is rather easy. Chances are there is already an existing aftermarket rotor in the same size perhaps

Fwiw I wouldn't track on carbon brakes either.

Last edited:
Of course they want to replace both rotors on axle at same time--- Total bill was >$10K (rears only). I bitched and they did the work under warranty as an accommodation, but were VERY clear: "never again."

$10k?! Pure insanity.

Stuff like this is why I love the $14 rotors on my E30 track car. Even if I was Warren Buffet I don't know if I could justify that cost.

Back