• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsx gt3

- - - Updated - - -

nsx_830_2016_03_23_011-800x400.jpg

Last edited:
Is this a street legal car? I assume not. Pretty dumb to announce a new model with undisclosed stats before you start building the base car.

Is this a street legal car? I assume not. Pretty dumb to announce a new model with undisclosed stats before you start building the base car.

http://acuraconnected.com/2016/03/23/acura-unveils-nsx-gt3-racecar-in-new-york/

Official release from Acura Media Newsroom:

Mar 23, 2016 – NEW YORK, NY

• Twin turbocharged NSX supercar to campaign in North American competition starting 2017
  • NSX slated to undergo homologation this fall as an FIA GT3 class racecar
  • Racecar body to be built by the Performance Manufacturing Center in Marysville, Ohio, the exclusive manufacturing home to the all-new Acura NSX supercar; engine to be produced in Anna, Ohio

Acura took the wraps off a NSX GT3 racecar today at the 2016 New York International Auto Show, announcing its intention to campaign the twin-turbocharged NSX supercar in North America starting in 2017. The NSX is currently undergoing testing and slated for homologation as an FIA GT3 class racecar this fall.

The unveiled Acura NSX GT3 racecar featured custom bodywork and aero components including a large deck wing spoiler, underbody diffuser and enlarged hood vents for efficient engine cooling.

The NSX GT3 will be powered by a 3.5-liter, 75-degree, twin turbocharged DOHC V-6 engine using the same design specifications as the engine in the production 2017 Acura NSX, including the block, heads, valvetrain, crankshaft, pistons and dry sump lubrication system. The engine will be paired with a 6-speed, sequential-shift racing gearbox, delivering power to the rear wheels.

The NSX GT3 will utilize the production NSX’s ultra-rigid and lightweight multi-material body with aluminum-intensive space frame, which will be produced by the Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio, the exclusive manufacturing home for the new Acura NSX. Its twin turbocharged V-6 engine will also be manufactured in Ohio.

Initial development of the NSX GT3 was conducted by the company’s Japan race engineering arm with testing on race circuits in Europe and Japan. Additional development, testing and final homologation to FIA GT3 global racing specifications is currently being undertaken by the company’s North American race engineering group, Honda Performance Development (HPD), in Santa Clarita, California.

The NSX was designed as a pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance, and we’re looking forward to proving out its ultimate performance capabilities in GT3 racing,” said Art St. Cyr, president of Honda Performance Development. “We’ll be working with the NSX engineering teams in Ohio and Japan to bring our dream of a truly world-class new Acura NSX racecar to fruition.”

The Acura NSX GT3 car will join a rich legacy of Acura sports car racing campaigns and championships, including the 1991, 1992 and 1993 IMSA Camel Lights manufacturer and driver championships, and the 2009 American LeMans manufacturer, driver and team championships in both the LMP1 and LMP2 classes. Acura currently campaigns a pair of TLX GT cars with Real Time Racing in the Pirelli World Challenge.

The production 2017 Acura NSX launches this spring with serial production slated to begin in late April at the Performance Manufacturing Center. Customer order taking commenced on February 25, 2016, with the launch of the NSX online configurator at NSX.Acura.com.

Another photo:

12383419_257236324612733_1473357689_n.jpg

Would love a carbon fiber beak for the street version!

Last edited:
Damn. wonder how much it weighs without the Hybrid stuff on it

I am here now, the car looks impressive in person... but the vinyl is actually quite poorly wrapped with visible bubbles (plus I am not certain if the CF is real or vinyl)
WP_20160324_01_44_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20160324_01_44_55_Pro.jpg

I am here now, the car looks impressive in person... but the vinyl is actually quite poorly wrapped with visible bubbles (plus I am not certain if the CF is real or vinyl)
WP_20160324_01_44_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20160324_01_44_55_Pro.jpg

Can you upload the high res ones? These seem to be the thumbnails. The side profile is what I really wanna see.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn. wonder how much it weighs without the Hybrid stuff on it

It's RWD only so it's probably close to 3000 lbs if not less in race trim.

10392203_760703047365209_3076515935431733464_n.jpg

The streamlined details gives the car a much cleaner and sleeker look. Widebody kits on the way for the future, I'm sure!

Pretty dumb, and bordering on idiotic, of you to ask if it's a street car in the first place. And how is it negative to announce the race version of a street car with undisclosed specs? Why should Honda divulge specifics to their competition within the GT3 class (Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi, etc)?

Wha...wha...WHAT! No chrome beak :confused: real front grill mesh :confused: NSX-R bonnet style hood :confused: no beak :confused: simplified front lip spoiler :confused: beast-mode side intakes :confused: no Dodge Stealth hood blisters :confused: No beak :confused: Can it be true? Am I dreaming?

Pretty dumb, and bordering on idiotic, of you to ask if it's a street car in the first place. And how is it negative to announce the race version of a street car with undisclosed specs? Why should Honda divulge specifics to their competition within the GT3 class (Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi, etc)?

Agreed:rolleyes:

That top mounted intake on the "rear haunches" as Jay L. would put it is a really nice touch. Probably passes through the exit vent above the tail lights.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have a good photo of the rear of the car that you can post please?
Nothing straight on that I could find yet, but...
1.jpg

2.jpg

Mesh detail...(note the air bubbles on the vinyl near the side strakes)
3.jpg

Rear DIFFUSA...(note bad cutting on vinyl plus glare reveals its uneven texture)
5.jpg

Last edited:

I could be wrong but I think chrisn was saying it's dumb to announce and show the GT3 without yet revealing stats on the standard NSX and having it already available.

I read that as the unveil for the GT3 this early might be killing the buzz for the standard NSX, and especially for those buying it. If that's what he meant I agree with him. I would hate to buy a $200k brand new car, only to know a better version exists. It's poor marketing.

I could be wrong but I think chrisn was saying it's dumb to announce and show the GT3 without yet revealing stats on the standard NSX and having it already available.

I read that as the unveil for the GT3 this early might be killing the buzz for the standard NSX, and especially for those buying it. If that's what he meant I agree with him. I would hate to buy a $200k brand new car, only to know a better version exists. It's poor marketing.

This is a race car. It is not street legal. You will not be able to purchase one unless you're a serious race team. Nobody will be delaying their purchase of an NSX because of this race car. This isn't bad marketing any more than the below versions of Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Audis and Bentleys are bad marketing.

Monza_BES.jpg

Seriously not sure how people thought this is a road legal GT3 version of the NSX lol. It's like nobody takes the time to actually read anymore.

Whaddya mean this isn't road legal...don't all interiors look like this? Those big hoses behind the seat just vent in the exhaust sound, right :wink:
int.jpg

This is so great because just like aspects of Spoon kits and other wide-bodies made their way onto the Gen1 NSX (fenders, snorkels, mirrors, JGTC tail lights, etc.), you can bet certain aspects of this kit will be replicated by third parties and eventually be available for the Gen2. Their presence on the racing circuit is a huge endorsement for these subtle design changes.

Somebody is going to make a std production fitting version of this hood...
gen2hood.jpg

a swappable real beakless grill and optional spoiler...
grill.jpg

and make these widebody-haunch intake vents or,...we can just wait for a refresh :rolleyes:
vent_haunch.jpg

Overall I think a GT3 release at this moment is great for marketing because they need to keep the pressure on and keep pushing the "NSX" into the marketplace in as many ways as they can and not lose any marketing momentum.

Last edited:
Wouldn't this NSX be built on a light weight racing frame using the NSX driveline with some interior design elements?
The outer skin looks like a one-off molded body with some changes for wider wheels/tires/stance.
Much like a NASCAR entry with only a body shape resemblance to a road car.
This NSX looks a long way from ever being a road version.

Whaddya mean this isn't road legal...don't all interiors look like this? Those big hoses behind the seat just vent in the exhaust sound, right :wink:
int.jpg

This is so great because just like aspects of Spoon kits and other wide-bodies made their way onto the Gen1 NSX (fenders, snorkels, mirrors, JGTC tail lights, etc.), you can bet certain aspects of this kit will be replicated by third parties and eventually be available for the Gen2. Their presence on the racing circuit is a huge endorsement for these subtle design changes.

Somebody is going to make this hood...
gen2hood.jpg

and make this beakless real grill and optional spoiler...
grill.jpg

and make these widebody-haunch intake vents or,...we can just wait for a refresh :rolleyes:
vent_haunch.jpg

Overall I think a GT3 release at this moment is great for marketing because they need to keep the pressure on and keep pushing the "NSX" into the marketplace in as many ways as they can and not lose any marketing momentum.

I knew it wasn't street legal but I didn't like that a relatively new member was being called an idiot. It's not how Prime works IMO.

Wouldn't this NSX be built on a light weight racing frame using the NSX driveline with some interior design elements?
The outer skin looks like a one-off molded body with some changes for wider wheels/tires/stance.
Much like a NASCAR entry with only a body shape resemblance to a road car.

Negative. "The NSX GT3 will utilize the production NSX’s ultra-rigid and lightweight multi-material body with aluminum-intensive space frame, which will be produced by the Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio, the exclusive manufacturing home for the new Acura NSX. Its twin turbocharged V-6 engine will also be manufactured in Ohio." That's how the FIA GT3 class works.

This NSX looks a long way from ever being a road version.

That's because it's not a road version and isn't intended to ever be a road version. This is a race car based on a road car.
Not to say that that something like a street-legal NSX Type R won't exist, with features similar to this race car, but such a Type R will NOT be an FIA GT3 race car.

I knew it wasn't street legal but I didn't like that a relatively new member was being called an idiot. It's not how Prime works IMO.

I agree and appreciate you doing that. From what I gather he's a prospective owner and deserves the benefit of the doubt :smile:. My comment was intended in the context of just the previous post above mine.

And as far as killing the buzz I can see that as it could have the potential to do that, but only mildly and retroactively I think. If these subtle design changes (mainly real grill mesh and no chrome beak) are very well received by noticeably large audiences (or even within Acura's own design house since no longer design-by-committee w/marketing telling them what they need to include), then a refresh could be sooner rather than later making the first batch of owners just want to upgrade body parts (just like before but without a 10yr wait:rolleyes:). And with optional decklids starting at $3000-a-pop, the Gen2 "Parts for Sale" thread in year 2020 will be a very different looking animal than our current fs threads.

Last edited:
Negative. "The NSX GT3 will utilize the production NSX’s ultra-rigid and lightweight multi-material body with aluminum-intensive space frame, which will be produced by the Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio, the exclusive manufacturing home for the new Acura NSX. Its twin turbocharged V-6 engine will also be manufactured in Ohio." That's how the FIA GT3 class works.

Whoops, I missed that part.
So the chassis and driveline (excluding the hybrid part) are to use stock components per the GT3 class rules?
Looks like some outer body parts can be modified and the interior can be stripped.
Without the hybrid parts and interior trim, seats, A/C and so on, it should be quite light.
What do you think it might weigh as a race car?

Back