• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sold your NSX to Get What?????

Truly worthy successor to your NSX in your garage.

Yep.... The 12C is basically an extension to the nsx in my opinion... Unfortunately people are realizing this as the prices on them are on the rise...

Yep.... The 12C is basically an extension to the nsx in my opinion... Unfortunately people are realizing this as the prices on them are on the rise...

I've heard bad things about McLaren reliability. One of hallmarks of the NSX is how bullet proof it is. Have I heard wrong?

Here's a quote from Road & Track:
"I bought one of the first MP4-12Cs in the country back in 2012. Over 1000 miles with the car, I started to notice problems. Everyone with an early car had issues. The transmission calibration was wonky, making the car creep and lurch in traffic. The doors, which use sensors instead of handles, didn't always open. Early cars shipped with a Bluetooth- and nav-equipped stereo installed, but not operational. I felt like a beta tester. With McLaren staying quiet about fixes, I cashed out and sold the car at list."

Last edited:
I've heard bad things about McLaren reliability. One of hallmarks of the NSX is how bullet proof it is. Have I heard wrong?

Here's a quote from Road & Track:
"I bought one of the first MP4-12Cs in the country back in 2012. Over 1000 miles with the car, I started to notice problems. Everyone with an early car had issues. The transmission calibration was wonky, making the car creep and lurch in traffic. The doors, which use sensors instead of handles, didn't always open. Early cars shipped with a Bluetooth- and nav-equipped stereo installed, but not operational. I felt like a beta tester. With McLaren staying quiet about fixes, I cashed out and sold the car at list."
I cannot comment on reliability as I am not a 12C owner. But after riding in a friends 2013, the raw driving experience is quite the norm in this car. It is ridiculously fast. I attribute the light weight, direct mechanics of the car, and overall driving experience I must say this car is very underrated. I have had my eye on a few. Maybe another year or two I may buy one.

Having owned the NSX and now my McLaren I can say I don't think there is another high performance car in the world as bullet proof as the first generation NSX. Period. What I can say is my McLaren is very durable, mechanically reliable and I use it as my daily driver. As with any super car pushing the limits of technology there will be a few issues. Especially, with their first production model. I've had issues with my McLaren failing to recognizing my keyfob and the A/C temperature light going out. Both of which McLaren fixed under warranty. It is not as bullet proof as the NSX but then again my NSX didn't have the mind bending acceleration or performance of my McLaren. For the McLaren we're talking about a car that weighs about the same (or less) than the NSX with over 2X the horsepower and it lays down torque with the Pirelli Corsa System tires that will get your heart racing and adrenaline pumping! Stock performance numbers McLaren 12C owners are getting on the track are 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds, 10.5 second quarter miles and 217mph top end. And will get over 20mpg on the highway (iff you can keep your accelerator foot under control). It has a trick active hydraulic suspension system, toque vectoring, is very comfortable to drive in "Normal Mode" verses "Track Mode" and is a worthy experience to drive. Two different animals. Both amazing in their own rights.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
My 1994 NSX has been a truly reliable track machine for the past 6 years. Starting from 2010, I have this car basically stock and track a few times with street tire. NSX in stock form amazed me and my track buddy in term of fun factor compare to my 06 fully track prep sti. I did spun out the first time in my life and I was shocked how difficult to control mid engine with rubber bushing at limit. Now ever since I mod the car complete for the track, I was spoil how good the balance and steering feel of the car. Car weight only 2500 lbs with ac, full interior and stereo. in 2014 I bought a 2009 gtr and the car come with 275 and 315 r888 already. I was shocked again how modern technology transform and aid driver in controlling the speed at limit. However after about a year the excitement is gone. Having owning a Gtr taught me one thing, I would not want to own any car that has modern technology like twin clutch or Electrical LSD or Awd. Also, don't think there are anything on the market nowsday that can give me that much driving feel and involvement of a nsx. I have come to a decision that I would never sell my car. At that time I was trying to look for a nsx upgrade in 2015. After much researching for a car that need to meet the sound requirement, fun factor, driving position,look compartment and exclusiveness coming from a nsx owner, I have come to decision that a 2008 Gallardo Superleggera check out all my requirement of an upgrade nsx version. Once I got the car, I deleted the awd in few hours and put a test pipe with loc f1 exhaust myself. The car was so easy to work with similar to the nsx. Don't have to deal with the center nut bolt is a big plus if you track you car often enough. Track pad is on. Factory Superleggera comes with coilover stock so I install lowered spring then lowered 3 inches with corner balance and track alignment. Car weight just 3150 lbs after all this done, very close to the original nsx weight and I can finally said that I can finally get an upgrade nsx version unlike the new nsx which share nothing except the name. The only thing that is missing is a stick but once you are in the superleggera you will notice the gearing is very short compare to a nsx and shifting of the superleggera really bend your head literally every single gear. Driving in low speed around town in a superleggera also gives me a sense of sophistication that nsx will not give. The most important aspect of a super car is sound, and this v10 version unlike the newer one on Lp560 give a true F1 experience to anyone in the cockpit. Nsx with the straight pipe and titanium exhaust felt just lousy in comparison. It also come with a front lift kit with the factory meaning that I could drive to anywhere without stripping the bottom. All in all, I felt like the 08 superleggera is a complete package although performance wise it can't compare with 12C or 991gt3rs but for the price I paid totally worth the experience.

Attachments

• 20161016_093253.jpg
    20161016_093253.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,566
  • 20161016_093412.jpg
    20161016_093412.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,566
  • 20140322_165318.jpg
    20140322_165318.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 1,559
Last edited:
Also here in the lower mainland and on the verge of grabbing a gallardo. Would like to hear more about your lambo and nsx experience. Message me here if you can, as it seems I'm unable to message you for some reason...

My 1994 NSX has been a truly reliable track machine for the past 6 years. Starting from 2010, I have this car basically stock and track a few times with street tire. NSX in stock form amazed me and my track buddy in term of fun factor compare to my 06 fully track prep sti. I did spun out the first time in my life and I was shocked how difficult to control mid engine with rubber bushing at limit. Now ever since I mod the car complete for the track, I was spoil how good the balance and steering feel of the car. Car weight only 2500 lbs with ac, full interior and stereo. in 2014 I bought a 2009 gtr and the car come with 275 and 315 r888 already. I was shocked again how modern technology transform and aid driver in controlling the speed at limit. However after about a year the excitement is gone. Having owning a Gtr taught me one thing, I would not want to own any car that has modern technology like twin clutch or Electrical LSD or Awd. Also, don't think there are anything on the market nowsday that can give me that much driving feel and involvement of a nsx. I have come to a decision that I would never sell my car. At that time I was trying to look for a nsx upgrade in 2015. After much researching for a car that need to meet the sound requirement, fun factor, driving position,look compartment and exclusiveness coming from a nsx owner, I have come to decision that a 2008 Gallardo Superleggera check out all my requirement of an upgrade nsx version. Once I got the car, I deleted the awd in few hours and put a test pipe with loc f1 exhaust myself. The car was so easy to work with similar to the nsx. Don't have to deal with the center nut bolt is a big plus if you track you car often enough. Track pad is on. Factory Superleggera comes with coilover stock so I install lowered spring then lowered 3 inches with corner balance and track alignment. Car weight just 3150 lbs after all this done, very close to the original nsx weight and I can finally said that I can finally get an upgrade nsx version unlike the new nsx which share nothing except the name. The only thing that is missing is a stick but once you are in the superleggera you will notice the gearing is very short compare to a nsx and shifting of the superleggera really bend your head literally every single gear. Driving in low speed around town in a superleggera also gives me a sense of sophistication that nsx will not give. The most important aspect of a super car is sound, and this v10 version unlike the newer one on Lp560 give a true F1 experience to anyone in the cockpit. Nsx with the straight pipe and titanium exhaust felt just lousy in comparison. It also come with a front lift kit with the factory meaning that I could drive to anywhere without stripping the bottom. All in all, I felt like the 08 superleggera is a complete package although performance wise it can't compare with 12C or 991gt3rs but for the price I paid totally worth the experience.

New member here and prospective owner. The NSX is my first love, launching me into a young man's automotive pubescence, at the time I obviously could not afford one. Then early in my career I had the means but got hooked on Lotus cars. I've happy owned two Lotus Exiges and love them dearly. My Exige is is handling dream and a powerful little beast. But every now and again I come back to the NSX and find myself fawning all over it. This is to say, I'm contemplating selling my Lotus for an NSX, preferably a 1993 or 1994.

I know this is counter to the point of this thread, but I just had to chime in...

all good, an interesting addition to the thread.

you never owned an Esprit?

This has been a very interesting read.

I'm hoping I'll be able to take the gentler approach to experimentation and keep my NSX around while I play with some other toys. I have the garage space and free-time to maintain a couple of non-DD cars, so my plan is to see how much comes out of some investments that are coming due and then go shopping. I've been a sucker for the early year Gallardos for a while and will probably be looking at those first (ideally an '06+ with a gated 'box). I've been sold on those since seeing Valentino (yeah, *that* Valentino) absolutely flog a pair of them all weekend at PIR only stopping for gas, tires, and brakes for like 4 years running with absolutely zero mechanical issues. That and they make a hell of a noise.

The 12C is probably a stretch for this round, but it's on the short-list especially if the used prices keep depressing further. My concern here, is that I'm a DIY guy. It's how I can justify/sensibly afford looking at stuff like this. The McLaren is getting deep into the "black box" engine bay territory. I'd also be curious how they'd feel about some shade-tree calling them with questions about how to do some $10,000-at-a-dealership service on a second hand car, lol. The Gallardo is at least reasonably analog, especially without the e-gear crap and I've seen a clutch job done and have little question I could do the same.

My NSX is no museum-piece, so I don't stand to really cash in on the current market. I figure I'll rotate some stuff through the other garage bay until something lands there that I consistently choose over the NSX for a road trip or track day....then we'll see I suppose.

all good, an interesting addition to the thread.

you never owned an Esprit?

Nah, never owned an Esprit. Not that I do not like them. I think they are great looking cars and I hear with some work, they handle very well. The thing about the Esprits are their age. They are not like our NSX's. They were nowhere in the same league in build quality so any of the ones I was interested in were going to be a headache in terms of getting them back into shape. Petrolicious did a great video on one of my favorite Esprits:

http://petrolicious.com/this-lotus-esprit-is-a-light-rider-reborn

Maybe if I had really really deep pockets and lived in a house with a two car garage, I'd undertake Esprit ownership. But that just isn't in the cards, at least at the moment.

Nah, never owned an Esprit. Not that I do not like them. I think they are great looking cars and I hear with some work, they handle very well. The thing about the Esprits are their age. They are not like our NSX's. They were nowhere in the same league in build quality so any of the ones I was interested in were going to be a headache in terms of getting them back into shape. Petrolicious did a great video on one of my favorite Esprits:

http://petrolicious.com/this-lotus-esprit-is-a-light-rider-reborn

Maybe if I had really really deep pockets and lived in a house with a two car garage, I'd undertake Esprit ownership. But that just isn't in the cards, at least at the moment.

great video, well done. personally i'd only considered a late model S4 previous to the inception of the V8 Twin Turbo, but that's the only option for me now. either an SE or a Sport 350 if one could be found. which is probably impossible?

the S4's were great cars, and the V8's are much better. the build quality and reliability is decent, but obviously not NSX worthy. nothing from the 1990's is.

they handled very well, especially the last years, and they were fast as shit for the time. much quicker than an NSX, and apparently they were just a pulley away from 400 reliable horsepower.

true classics, in every bit the same way as a Countach or Testarossa...

attachment.php

This has been a very interesting read.

I'm hoping I'll be able to take the gentler approach to experimentation and keep my NSX around while I play with some other toys. I have the garage space and free-time to maintain a couple of non-DD cars, so my plan is to see how much comes out of some investments that are coming due and then go shopping. I've been a sucker for the early year Gallardos for a while and will probably be looking at those first (ideally an '06+ with a gated 'box). I've been sold on those since seeing Valentino (yeah, *that* Valentino) absolutely flog a pair of them all weekend at PIR only stopping for gas, tires, and brakes for like 4 years running with absolutely zero mechanical issues. That and they make a hell of a noise.

The 12C is probably a stretch for this round, but it's on the short-list especially if the used prices keep depressing further. My concern here, is that I'm a DIY guy. It's how I can justify/sensibly afford looking at stuff like this. The McLaren is getting deep into the "black box" engine bay territory. I'd also be curious how they'd feel about some shade-tree calling them with questions about how to do some $10,000-at-a-dealership service on a second hand car, lol. The Gallardo is at least reasonably analog, especially without the e-gear crap and I've seen a clutch job done and have little question I could do the same.

My NSX is no museum-piece, so I don't stand to really cash in on the current market. I figure I'll rotate some stuff through the other garage bay until something lands there that I consistently choose over the NSX for a road trip or track day....then we'll see I suppose.

I had the same feelings about the gallardo, which is why I got the gated 06 SE. Love that car... sound is amazing. Feels solid and we'll built. Reminds me of an NSX, but beefier. Plenty fast enough for me. Still a driver car. If you get an earlier year, I would go for 05+ so you get the front lift. That has already saved me a few times...

Last edited:
great video, well done. personally i'd only considered a late model S4 previous to the inception of the V8 Twin Turbo, but that's the only option for me now. either an SE or a Sport 350 if one could be found. which is probably impossible?

the S4's were great cars, and the V8's are much better. the build quality and reliability is decent, but obviously not NSX worthy. nothing from the 1990's is.

they handled very well, especially the last years, and they were fast as shit for the time. much quicker than an NSX, and apparently they were just a pulley away from 400 reliable horsepower.

true classics, in every bit the same way as a Countach or Testarossa...

attachment.php

I had a 2004 Esprit FE for three years after owning my NSX for 14 years. I don't think I could have owned the Esprit for that long due to it being a difficult car to live with. Out of the box performance wise, the Esprit was much better than the NSX. The brakes, engine, and handling were much superior, but that's where it ended. The squeaks, creaks, and rattles came out of every corner of the car. The driving ergonomics were not as comfortable as the NSX. It's hard to own many cars after owning an NSX for such a long time. I now have a 2016 Focus RS that seems to offer me everything that I need at this stage of my life. I can safely take my kids and have fun with 350hp and AWD.

The year I'd opt for would be the 89 Esprit SE. I'm much more a fan of the 4 pot with water charge cooling for the turbo. But I'm sure the V8's were boatloads of fun!

My Exige can be described much in the same way against the NSX. Squeaks, rattles, build quality, etc. But the handling, and driving dynamics are EXTREMELY hard to beat at ANY price point. And the engine? Well, the stock Toyota mill was a good engine. But the Honda K24A2 I've swapped in is just... fantastic. So now, both toys are Honda powered.

Last edited:
We've had quite a few R8's over the past few years and now looking to get into another car.

I've had R8s on my short-list as well. If I'm going to get one, it will be an earlier V8 car though. I like the way they sound, and frankly I'd rather have the V10 in a Lamborghini if I'm going to.

I've had R8s on my short-list as well. If I'm going to get one, it will be an earlier V8 car though. I like the way they sound, and frankly I'd rather have the V10 in a Lamborghini if I'm going to.

The V10 motor is the same however the way the headers and exhaust is designed, the two cars sound distinctly different. We also have a LP-560 Gallardo here (2010) and even in stock form, it's unique exhaust note is quite aggressive compared to our R8 with the Tubi Rumore exhaust.

It's hard to find a R8 V10 with a 6-speed and even harder to find a Gallardo with one. (Ours is an E-gear LP-560) Going from a Porsche to the E-gear, it's noted the car takes some getting used to as it's not as smooth at low speeds for sure.

The R8 V8 is also on my short list! But at the same time I have always wanted a Lotus Evora. The new Evora 400 looks and sounds like a blast but the old S version would be amazing too.

It's hard to find a R8 V10 with a 6-speed and even harder to find a Gallardo with one.

yeah, and I'm only interested in a stick/clutch car. On the list of things I've no interest in dealing with it's a black-box of a transmission and excessive clutch wear over which I have no control (Gallardo for that last one). If I find a McLaren at some point, it's about the only thing with paddles I'd consider and the twin clutch setups are reputed to be pretty resilient/long lived.

The year I'd opt for would be the 89 Esprit SE. I'm much more a fan of the 4 pot with water charge cooling for the turbo. But I'm sure the V8's were boatloads of fun!

My Exige can be described much in the same way against the NSX. Squeaks, rattles, build quality, etc. But the handling, and driving dynamics are EXTREMELY hard to beat at ANY price point.

you're last statement is the entire reasoning for having a sports car...

The R8 V8 is also on my short list! But at the same time I have always wanted a Lotus Evora. The new Evora 400 looks and sounds like a blast but the old S version would be amazing too.

the R8 V8 with a manual 6-speed is a lot of car for the money. and i do believe the prices are going up on them these days...

the R8 V8 with a manual 6-speed is a lot of car for the money. and i do believe the prices are going up on them these days...

Around two years ago, I spent an hour test driving an R8 V8 around town (i.e. in traffic...very few opportunities to really open her up)...and seriously considered buying it. As much as I liked the R8 and its gated shifter, I didn't feel it was enough of a step up from my NSX to justify owning it (I am not planning on ever selling my NSX...hard to justify owning two sports cars). If I had an opportunity to buy the V10 for around the same price, I might have had a harder time turning it down.

Of course, who am I to talk? I just bought an expensive EV...one I technically reserved the month AFTER that R8 test drive (and without having any knowledge of what the vehicle would actually be like).

Last edited:
Well guys I decided to keep my NSX and use it as my daily driver; but I did pull the trigger on Godzilla. Took delivery yesterday! All I can say is this damn thing is a beast! For the money it has to be the best "bargain" out there! Can't wait to see what it can really do!

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 435
Back