• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sold your NSX to Get What?????

Well guys I decided to keep my NSX and use it as my daily driver; but I did pull the trigger on Godzilla. Took delivery yesterday! All I can say is this damn thing is a beast! For the money it has to be the best "bargain" out there! Can't wait to see what it can really do!
Congrats. But why use the nsx as a daily driver? The new fat girl you picked up depreciates much faster than it's acceleration.:biggrin: But no really, how is it compared to your car? Is the chassis solid? I assume it is as the nsx is a twisting tin can compared to today's chassis.

Congrats. But why use the nsx as a daily driver? The new fat girl you picked up depreciates much faster than it's acceleration.:biggrin: But no really, how is it compared to your car? Is the chassis solid? I assume it is as the nsx is a twisting tin can compared to today's chassis.

Thanks! After only driving the GTR for less than a week my initial impressions are this.
1. The car is insanely fast!
2. The transmission is clunky in first gear and reverse; but this is my first dual clutch transmission so it's something I need to get used to
3. The GTR does look like a fat pig compared to the NSX; but once you turn the lights off and ride her, she doesn't feel that fat. LOL.
4. A lot quieter than the NSX, don't hear all those wonderful creaks and cricks.
5. The chassis is solid compared to my NSX
6. Did I mention the car is insanely fast! LOL
I'm not going to say it's better than the NSX; because it's not! It's different. You enjoy the cars for different reasons. For those of us who also ride motorcycles, I will leave you with this. My 1993 Ducati 900SS, Honda RC51 and my BMW HP2 Sport. All different bikes; but I would not call one better than the other!

Attachments

• IMG_0368_zps0e2080ee.jpg
    IMG_0368_zps0e2080ee.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,583
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 1,543
  • IMG_0893_zps2de8f7a5.jpg
    IMG_0893_zps2de8f7a5.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 1,548
--A 180--I decided against waiting another year for the dual motor Tesla model 3 and bought a 95 nsx instead...Glad I did.. having said that I'll be getting the 310 mile Tesla model 3 in about 3-4 months... Will ''never'' sell the NSX my daughter informed me she ''eventually'' wants it left to her..An old boyfriend taught her to shift on his Mustang Saleen..

The 996TT is just about the only car I would sell my 94 NSX for (my 00 will never be sold, ever!). Absolutely no desire to own a Ferrari or Lambo. i daily drove my 12 Cayman R for 1.5 years and that experience hooked me on the build quality and reliability of the Porsche brand. Not sure the 996TT is more practical than the NSX, but definitely think these are 2 cars that can be driven everyday without worry, unlike the other exotics.

I was looking at getting a NSX a few years ago, bought a 996tt instead. Had it about a year, recently sold it b/c my wife needed a new SUV as my 911 was just sitting there in the garage most of the time. Now I'm kind of tinkering around again with a NSX, S2000, or even an Integra GSR!

The 996tt is a great value, but as with all 911s the thing that is killer is the maintenance, esp the older ones. If anything breaks, you're looking at major dollars. Porsche parts and labor are NOT cheap. For example, during the time I had it for 1.3 years, with me driving it only 3k miles, I had to the following:
1) oil change $240 at an indy (takes almost 10 quarts!)
2) replace water pump/engine mounts/tranny mounts/serpetine belt - $2400 at an indy
3) Headlights suddenly went out and I had to replace the headlight switch $150 (I saved on labor as it was a fairly easy DIY)
4) Rear spoiler started leaking - tried a DIY re-bleed with a friend, pain in the arse, didn't work. Porsche wanted $2k+ for a new spoiler kit, or I could have gone with an aftermarket e-kit that was ~$1300. I ended up not fixing this and leaving it alone.
5) 2 carbon fiber strips lifted up and cracked; Porsche wanted $900! for 2 CF strips. I also left this alone and opted not to do anything.
6) There is a known issue with some of the coolant pipes on the turbo coming off when the engine bay gets really hot, likely from heavy WOT or hot day track driving. Indy shops wanted $4k+ to weld these pipes together. I never had an issue with this, but it was on the back of mind.
6) Through out my ownership I noticed an intermittent shift from 2nd-3rd that 3rd gear wouldn't engage for some reason. Indy couldn't figure out why and could never duplicate it; not a major issue, but I got scared of needing a tranny rebuild or having the need to take apart the tranny.

Owning the 996tt was a bucket list item. Blast to drive, great steering feel, legendary Mezger engine, great visibility and connection to the road, gobs of throw in the chest power, and I got great compliments many times (usually from young boys while dropping of my kid at school or older guys on the road). But I started to get scared of the maintenance and repairs, considering how much $$ I had to continue to fork while the car mostly just sits in the garage. Plus many major maintenance items require an engine drop, which is $$ in labor. Who knows, I may later get another 911, but just be aware. YMMV.

Would be interested to hear how much others have spent on NSX's maintenance...

Last edited:
Would be interested to hear how much others have spent on NSX's maintenance...

If the NSX is well maintained when you get it, you're not looking a much maintenance-wise. Your biggest "common" spends are t-belt and/or clutch service which can be as much as ~$3k (but are an every-5 years-or-more items), and there are only about 3 known "achilles heels", and all are easily avoided or remedied: snap ring if '91-'92, balancer delamination (shield available for cheap prevention), and screws coming off of the airbox butterflies. Aside from that, they can be oil starved because transverse engine and no dry-sump, but that usually involves slicks and/or aero on a track.

Parts-wise, you get to flip a coin: One side = Honda parts prices, so pennies. Other side = Porsche prices (e.g. suspension wishbones, body panels).

I don't want to say how much I've spent on resto-modding mine as it's not representative. I bought a basket case 8 years ago and now have a 263,000 mile NSX that may be the most reliable vehicle in the household, lol. (I suppose that says something though).

Last edited:
Did not sell and will not sell in the future - BUT would be highly interested to buy a AC cobra (Replica) as second fun car. Unfortunately money collection takes some time,
in Germany you have to pay approx. 50K Euro onwards for an nice replica.

Reporting in from Kinda Down Under

Sold USDM LHD, bought JDM RHD

Retired: No longer making the world safe for democracy.

Attachments

• IMG_20170927_163057.jpg
    IMG_20170927_163057.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 1,192
  • IMG_20170927_161343.jpg
    IMG_20170927_161343.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,182
Reporting in from Kinda Down Under

Sold USDM LHD, bought JDM RHD

Retired: No longer making the world safe for democracy.

Hey Drew, nice new ride. What year? You should saved all your old parts, at least those that fit a RHD:wink:

Spyder

Ok, I need some input from you Porsche guys! I really like my NSX but do have to admit that owning/maintaining a car that is a quarter of a century old can get a little old (I was talking with an online Acura parts supplier recently who told me "I can't get that part anymore...period!" I confessed to a P-car friend recently that I've always coveted a late model Cayman, especially an "S", and ever since he's been after me to put the NSX on the market and look for a Cayman. I have been considering going to the local dealer and driving one, but I'm a long way from pulling the trigger, if ever. Thoughts...NSX vs. Cayman? Thanks!

Jeff

Ok, I need some input from you Porsche guys! I really like my NSX but do have to admit that owning/maintaining a car that is a quarter of a century old can get a little old (I was talking with an online Acura parts supplier recently who told me "I can't get that part anymore...period!" I confessed to a P-car friend recently that I've always coveted a late model Cayman, especially an "S", and ever since he's been after me to put the NSX on the market and look for a Cayman. I have been considering going to the local dealer and driving one, but I'm a long way from pulling the trigger, if ever. Thoughts...NSX vs. Cayman? Thanks!

Jeff

Caymans are a dime a dozen. What part do you need? Have you looked at any sources in Japan? I'm sure Caymans are fun to drive, but don't have the rarity and style of an NSX. They won't hold their value going forward either.

Jeff

Jeff. Depend on budget and what you going to do w/Porsche? Planning on track it? I would go for Cayman R or GT4 or 997.1 or .2 GT3. Life is short and should consider other flavors

Jeff

I owned a 2008 Cayman S and a 1995 NSX at the same time. Back in 2011 before I bought either, I was going back and forth between a Cayman S and NSX. I just sold my Porsche 996 C4S and I wanted to go mid engine. i also had a 2007 Lotus Exige S, so yes I was obsessed with mid engine cars.

I choose the Cayman S because I felt I could drive it everyday all year round. I put snow tires on it in the winter, I autocrossed it on the weekends, it had two trunks for all my hockey gear and it was the more modern car for everyday use. I loved the Cayman S but I regretted not choosing the NSX, so 6 months later I bought a NSX and never looked back. I sold the Cayman S after two years but still own an NSX. I will always own one, for a short time, I had two NSX's the 95 and my current LBB 2005.

The Cayman S is a great car and I highly recommend it but you may regret selling the NSX. The Cayman S will depreciate while the NSX wll appreciate, so it will cost you some $$$ if you regret it and want to buy a NSX again in the future.

Glenn

^^^^ yes cayman /996's 911 depreciate. Totally different stories on 991R,991.1 or 997.2 gt3 and gt3 RS and 997 4.0 RS. 997 4.0 Rs msrp back in 2011 was $225k , today going value around $600-800. 2016 991R msrp $180 and mkt value today 400k. My advice is buy what you can afford and not worried about future appreciation.

I owned a 2008 Cayman S and a 1995 NSX at the same time. Back in 2011 before I bought either, I was going back and forth between a Cayman S and NSX. I just sold my Porsche 996 C4S and I wanted to go mid engine. i also had a 2007 Lotus Exige S, so yes I was obsessed with mid engine cars.

I choose the Cayman S because I felt I could drive it everyday all year round. I put snow tires on it in the winter, I autocrossed it on the weekends, it had two trunks for all my hockey gear and it was the more modern car for everyday use. I loved the Cayman S but I regretted not choosing the NSX, so 6 months later I bought a NSX and never looked back. I sold the Cayman S after two years but still own an NSX. I will always own one, for a short time, I had two NSX's the 95 and my current LBB 2005.

The Cayman S is a great car and I highly recommend it but you may regret selling the NSX. The Cayman S will depreciate while the NSX wll appreciate, so it will cost you some $$$ if you regret it and want to buy a NSX again in the future.

Glenn
Thanks for the input, everyone! Glenn, I was especially interested in your post in that you've owned both cars. I'm beginning to think that the only way I'll ever have a Porsche is to buy one as a daily driver. Rustproof it, wash it in the winter, maintain it and enjoy it. It's heartening to hear that you can actually drive a Cayman year-round in the north and that despite it only having two seats it's actually a somewhat practical car. My NSX is going nowhere in the foreseeable future, and as my budget is not unlimited the Cayman would have to be more than a garage queen. Hopefully I can eventually make it happen.

OK, here's my story. I sold my NSX three years ago after much anxious deliberation. I had it for 17 years and had sworn I would be buried in it. At the time, my DD was a 2008 M6, I loved that car but was always preoccupied with the potential failure of the SCT. So, I did the unthinkable, I sold both to buy the first American car I had ever owned: a Corvette C7. A few on Prime gave me a bad time and said I would be back. Well, true to their predictions, the chevy didn't last, even tho it was objectively (and emotionally) a truly great car. After 18 months and a substantial depreciation, it went down the road. Mostly, it was pretty impractical in my new environment, especially as a DD.

So, do I miss the NSX? Maybe a bit....I still lurk here and will twist my head off to follow one on the road. My NSX was the most reliable car I have ever owned. The only failure in the car in 17 years (not owner induced) was a burned out taillight. Do I think about buying another? No. Actually, I think I miss the Corvette more.

In an effort to simplify my life I have downsized to one "do-all" car. It's definitely not exciting to look at but, it's imminently practical...not to mention blistering quick. It's a stage 1 Golf 7R w/DCT.

Last edited:
I love my 06 M6. So far I've kept the 91 auto NSX. I've always been given a bad time here with the automatic transmission.

Last edited:
Back