• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SRS light stays on

Is there a good source for the control that I need to make the SRS light go off on my '91?

thanks. Wendell

Can you specify why it is ON?
Did you remove the airbag? Or install different steering wheel?

Is there a good source for the control that I need to make the SRS light go off on my '91?

thanks. Wendell
Well, for a start, you could try replacing the SRS fuse in the fuse panel in the driver's footwell, left side. If it blows again, then you've pretty much got to figure out why it's blowing the fuse and there are a bunch of reasons and most of them require you to start by checking for voltages on various pins on the SRS control unit which is in the center console approx under the shifter and a bitch to get out. There is no easy way to shut the SRS light off that I've ever come across using the wiring diagrams.

Well, for a start, you could try replacing the SRS fuse in the fuse panel in the driver's footwell, left side. If it blows again, then you've pretty much got to figure out why it's blowing the fuse and there are a bunch of reasons and most of them require you to start by checking for voltages on various pins on the SRS control unit which is in the center console approx under the shifter and a bitch to get out. There is no easy way to shut the SRS light off that I've ever come across using the wiring diagrams.

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you specify why it is ON?
Did you remove the airbag? Or install different steering wheel?

no removal of bag or wheel. Working the clock spring angle now.

I had forgotten bout the clock spring. That will cause the SRS light to stay lit if its broken. Mine is off the car since I am running aftermarket steering wheel. Synth19 made a great, detailed, write up on how to install aftermarket steering wheel. In that diy, it shows you how to turn the SRS light off by using jumper on the SRS harness. You can also try that..

I had forgotten bout the clock spring. That will cause the SRS light to stay lit if its broken. Mine is off the car since I am running aftermarket steering wheel. Synth19 made a great, detailed, write up on how to install aftermarket steering wheel. In that diy, it shows you how to turn the SRS light off by using jumper on the SRS harness. You can also try that..

Thanks, I may end up there!!

Synth19 made a great, detailed, write up on how to install aftermarket steering wheel. In that diy, it shows you how to turn the SRS light off by using jumper on the SRS harness. You can also try that..
I searched and only found his main build thread and didn't find anything in there about jumping the SRS harness. Do you happen to have a link? Are you talking about doing something similar to what the OEM jumper does that you install when you're working on the SRS system?

Yes. U insert a jumper on pin slot 3 and 4 of the main srs harness under the steering wheel. This will turn the srs light off.

Here is the link to that diy.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/121416-DIY-Thread-Steering-Wheel-Quick-Release-Hub

You can also use this one made by Kaz.
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6367-2002-Type-R-Steering-wheel-with-OEM-boss

- - - Updated - - -

In all assumption that your srs system is normal. The srs light were cauae by, ex: broken clock spring wire. Which mine were. Doing the above method kept the srs light off.

In all assumption that your srs system is normal. The srs light were cauae by, ex: broken clock spring wire. Which mine were. Doing the above method kept the srs light off.
OK ..tks. My srs system isn't 'normal' (I think the cntrl unit has the capacitor problem and needs to be replaced) so I don't think this is going to work for me but I'll review the links .. tks ...Ian

OK ..tks. My srs system isn't 'normal' (I think the cntrl unit has the capacitor problem and needs to be replaced) so I don't think this is going to work for me but I'll review the links .. tks ...Ian

No problem.
Hope you get it sorted out.

there is plenty of info on this issue.
looks like excessive condensate not draining properly, may be an issue as the SRS module can get wet.

mine just blew a fuse. (1991)
replacing the fuse has worked for now, but I suspect either a wet SRS module (connection) or the old electrolytic capacitors are leaking...
use this search string in Google for more info:
srs site:nsxprime.com

Warren .. having had this problem a number of times over the years .. and having removed the SRS unit a number of times, I'm increasingly doubtful that the problem has anything to do with condensate getting in the unit. The condensate drain is on the passenger end of the condensor and I assume they've sloped the unit towards that end. All the times I've had the problems, it's been soaked in the passenger footwell .. never in the area under the console. And if you've ever removed the unit, you'll know that it's well protected from above by the radio and HVAC controller. Mine started with the SRS light flickering and then eventually going solid .. but went off after a few days of drying out. I suspected the cabling and connectors itself since they are down in the pass footwell area and even went as far as replacing all that wiring .. without fixing it. While I had the unit out, there was no evidence of water damage although some caps looked suspect. Thank goodness for Brian .. his repair was what I needed. Back to a working SRS after being without it for over 6 years. I had learned to live with the constant SRS light on .. I was somewhat amazed that it hadn't burn out.

Back