• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy KCMachine Shorai Lightweight Battery Package: $374

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to popular request, we are doing another group buy!

DSC_0461_1024x1024.jpg

This is a:
[X] Direct vendor group buy
Minimum Number of Units: 1
Maximum Number of Units: Unlimited
Closing Date: May 15, 2016

Product Will Ship: [X] After the group buy is closed (I am going to get ahead of schedule so hopefully I can ship sooner than the GB closing)

Payment Procedure: [X] Payment in full upon signing up

Payment Methods Accepted:
Please purchase the package directly off of our website: http://www.kcmachine.com/collections/lighterisbetter-battery-packages-for-acura-cars
Use coupon code NSXPRIMEGB when checking out for $25 off of the package.

Estimated Delivery Time / Date: May 15, 2016, depending on battery shipments and anodizing schedule.

Product Pricing: $374

Shipping & Insurance Costs: International shipping is based off of actual shipping costs. I get very good discounted international shipping rates through FedEx. Please PM me your postal code, city, and country and I will get you a shipping estimate.

Prime Group Buy Price:
$374

What Is It?
This is one of the best weight reduction modifications for the NSX. We have designed and produce in-house a custom bracket that holds down a 5 pound Lithium Iron battery for a total of a 7 pound installed weight. This is a reduction of roughly 40-50 pounds, or over 1% of the car's overall weight. We have designed the package to be installed with no modification necessary to your vehicle. We use the Shorai LFX36 batteries which have been proven to have a good lifetime. I personally have had the same battery in my NSX for almost 4 years now.

What You Get:
Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 Lithium Iron Battery ($350 MSRP)
NSX specific CNC Machined 6061 Aluminum Battery Tray (Anodized black)
Terminal Posts
Mounting hardware

The Group Buy:
I am going to start making a big batch of the trays next week. This will likely take about 1-2 weeks depending on other factors. After I am done machining them, they will go to the anodizer, which takes another 1-2 weeks. I will be shipping out your orders once I get the trays back from the anodizer. You buying off of the website in full up front helps me buy the raw materials as well as helping keep track of orders.

Lots of information has been posted in my first group buy thread here: Group Buy Thread

Since we've been selling these for quite a long time now, I have some good data, here are some important facts:

• If you treat the battery correctly, you will enjoy a long battery lifetime. If you do not treat the battery correctly, you will enjoy a short battery lifetime.
  • The main way to treat the battery correctly is to NEVER OVER-DISCHARGE IT. This is true for all lithium based batteries.
  • One way to never over discharge your battery is to get the Shorai Dedicated Charger. I like them because they plug into a balancing port on the battery and it balances the cells internally. I literally sell them for $5 over my cost so it's more accessible to people. I SUPER HIGHLY STRONGLY RECOMMEND GETTING THE DEDICATED CHARGER. In my webstore you can select a package that includes the charger for an additional $60.
  • Regular trickle chargers are not recommended. They can be used in a pinch, but overall not recommended. This is because they are always forcing current into the battery.

Some additional info due to good questions below:

It will work with an aftermarket stereo system. It will also work with superchargers. With cars, the battery is there mostly just to start the car. Once the car is started, the alternator takes over charging duties. So as long as your alternator is in working condition, everything will be fine. Just don't listen to the radio with the car off.

When you plug the charger into the battery, you put it in store mode. That brings the voltage down to a stable voltage and then maintains it at that voltage. The charge function is purely for charging. I always keep my batteries in store mode. I have had mine for 4 years.

Shorai has been very generous with me and allows me to warranty them even though they are not meant for cars. They are aware of what I am doing and I have customers who have been provided excellent customer service from Shorai regarding dead batteries. I cannot stress enough though that as long as you don't over discharge them, they will last a very long time.

Photos:

NA1 (91-96) Tray
DSC_0477_1024x1024.jpg

9455654190_feba878461_h_1024x1024.jpg

DSC_0476_1024x1024.jpg

DSC_0471_1024x1024.jpg

NA2 (97-05) Tray
DSC_0461_1024x1024.jpg

9452874185_d19c1b22b2_h_1024x1024.jpg

Please let me know if you have any questions: [email protected]

Last edited:
Damn, I just bought a new battery like a week ago, wish I saw this sooner, beautiful piece and a good value :)

Colin,

Thanks so much for opening this back up. When I received the email saying you were going to open another group buy I was ecstatic.

Hey Colin,

Love my Shorai setup, quick question.. Is it okay to use a regular battery charger to jump the battery if ever needed?

Hey Colin,

Love my Shorai setup, quick question.. Is it okay to use a regular battery charger to jump the battery if ever needed?

I've done it, but overall I would not recommend it. The reason is because these batteries have 4 cells inside. Sometimes one of the cells has lower voltage than the other ones, and when you jump start it, it is forcing current into the cell but it doesn't want to accept it. That is how batteries are killed.

It really is a case by case basis. If you've been regularly balancing your cells, it should be fine. If the cells are unbalanced, you might not be fine. That's why I recommend the Shorai charger, because it balances the cells.

Is there a longer cable available to use with the charger? I want to extend it out so that I don't have to open the hood.

Great product! Been using mine for awhile now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Colin, just submitted my order finally! Great product!
Thanks for setting this group buy up!

Thanks everyone, what an amazing response!

Is there a longer cable available to use with the charger? I want to extend it out so that I don't have to open the hood.

Great product! Been using mine for awhile now.

There unfortunately isn't a longer cable available. It does make me wonder if I should fab some up. It shouldn't be too difficult to find the connectors...

Thanks for setting this up phryxis. I plan to order as well. I just need to check on something prior to ordering. But I should be getting back to you before your group buy closes in a few weeks.

Will this work with an aftermarket stereo system in the car?
For cars that are not driven often, buying the dedicated charger and leaving it plugged in will prolong its life?
Is there warranty?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the support.

Will this work with an aftermarket stereo system in the car?
For cars that are not driven often, buying the dedicated charger and leaving it plugged in will prolong its life?
Is there warranty?

Yes it will work with an aftermarket stereo system. It will also work with superchargers. With cars, the battery is there mostly just to start the car. Once the car is started, the alternator takes over charging duties. So as long as your alternator is in working condition, everything will be fine. Just don't listen to the radio with the car off.

When you plug the charger into the battery, you put it in store mode. That brings the voltage down to a stable voltage and then maintains it at that voltage. The charge function is purely for charging. I always keep my batteries in store mode. I have had mine for 4 years.

Shorai has been very generous with me and allows me to warranty them even though they are not meant for cars. They are aware of what I am doing and I have customers who have been provided excellent customer service from Shorai regarding dead batteries. I cannot stress enough though that as long as you don't over discharge them, they will last a very long time.

Colin,

Is it okay to use a switch to disconnect the grounding cable from the battery terminal between driving the vehicle?

I only drive the car maybe once every 3 weeks or so and do not have access to an power outlet.

Colin,

Is it okay to use a switch to disconnect the grounding cable from the battery terminal between driving the vehicle?

I only drive the car maybe once every 3 weeks or so and do not have access to an power outlet.

Yup, I have quite a few customers that do this. Just make sure it fully disconnects.

I purchased one through the last group buy but am interested in a charger now. Can I get just a charger through you and if so how much are you asking? Thank you

Let me know if you end up finding the connectors to make extended charging cables

Order placed for charger. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back