• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch Release Fork Inquiry

Background: I'm in the process of replacing of both the Clutch Master Cylinder and Clutch Slave Cylinder. Both were working fine upon un-installation. This is being done for preventative maintenance.

Issue: Upon removing the Clutch Slave Cylinder, the Clutch Release Fork came out. By this I mean that it was loose and had lots of play. However, I'm able to find an optimal position to "put it back" so that when bolting the Clutch Slave Cylinder back to the chassis, the tip of the Clutch Slave Cylinder fits perfectly into the divot on the end of the Clutch Release Fork.

Questions:

1. Can someone confirm that this is how the Clutch Release Fork is to be "inserted"? Is there a spring/clip that is supposed to hold it in place? I can't seem to find any definitive answer in the Service Manual.
2. Shall I go ahead and bleed the system and check out how everything is?

TIA

When you push the fork into the trans it will have a VERY slight detent when it surrounds the throw-out bearing. Once in place it will have some play back sand forth towards/away from the engine. Just make sure you get the ball of the slave into the cup of the fork. Make sure you grease the cup. Bleed away;).

""grease the cup"

+1
My clutch fork still groans after two attempts to lube it after an incompetent tech replaced the clutch...
Very easy during reassembly, very difficult later.

Sorry, for pulling back up this old thread but I ran into the same issue today when trying to install the slave cylinder, the clutch fork came loose. I have it in a position where when I install the slave cylinder I have to compress it a great deal to get it into position. My question is what kind of issues can I have if for some reason clutch fork is not set properly?

Thanks

Try to pull the fork out and back it its "clip". Yes, the slave cylinder must be compressed. If this is not the case, open the bleeding srew to compress it back in and it will be easier to mount.

Try to pull the fork out and back it its "clip". Yes, the slave cylinder must be compressed. If this is not the case, open the bleeding srew to compress it back in and it will be easier to mount.

How do I know if it's in its "clip"? Should it wiggle at all or it should just fit tightly and not move? Thanks!

Back