• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Genuine NSX-R engine covers are available again

BB

Experienced Member
I recently discovered that the so called "discontinued" genuine NSX-R engine cover is in fact still available. It is currently stocked in Honda's US warehouses and available from any Acura dealer!

The engine cover is 69110-SL0-901
http://www.acurapartsforless.com/oe-acura/69110sl0901

The special hinges for the cover are 69210-SL0-900
http://www.acurapartsforless.com/oe-acura/69210sl0900

I've already ordered and received both of these parts and they are the real deal. The real NSX-R hinges are a noticeable improvement over the installation hardware that SOS includes with their cover. With the SOS installation hardware the cover doesn't fit correctly, leaving a slight gap around the weather stripping. Using the NSX-R hinges instead provides a perfect fit.

There are also other Japan only parts available from your Acura dealer including the 5-speed Japanese short gears and NSX-R coolant bottle cover. There may be other Japan only parts available too, but these are all that I have been able to find thus far. So why has Honda begun stocking these parts in the US?

You should be able to carry over your OEM weather strip to fit on the cover. If you're starting from scratch here are all the parts listed from the archive:

69110-SL0-900 < Engine cover it self
74845-SLO-900 < the support
74442-SLO-003 < rubber gasket
91503-SS0-003 < retainer clip (also found on a Acura TSX)
93404-06020-07 < screws
69210-SL0-900 < hinges
90151-SR2-000 < bolts for the hinges
Note the OEM Honda cover is a RHD part so the support location is mirrored.

69110-SL0-900 is discontinued and has been superseded by 69110-SL0-901. The new version (69110-SL0-901) looks exactly the same to me.

Are these the only two parts you need or do you need or do you also need a rubber weather strip?

Besides the engine cover and the special hinges you'll also need....

90151-SR2-000 (quantity 4)
Special allen key bolts for attaching the cover to the hinges. These are only available in Japan. Let me know if you need help ordering them from Japan. It is cheap and easy to do. Alternatively you should be able to find similar bolts at a good hardware store.

74845-SL0-900
Support rod for holding up the cover. Order from Japan.

69112-SL0-900
Rod holder. Available from Acura dealer.

91503-SS0-003
Retainer clip. Available from Acura dealer.

The only part that you absolutely must order from Japan is the support rod. All the other required parts are either available from your Acura dealer, available at a hardware store, or available by reusing the parts on your existing engine cover. Note that my experience is installing this on a coupe. I have no experience with installing this on an NSX-T.

I purchased the support rod From Acura, shouldn't need to order that from Japan - Zanardi part?

The Zanardi did not come with a mesh engine cover so there would be no need for the shorter support rod. Although like I previously said Honda is stocking some Japan only parts in their US system, so anything is possible.

I see the part listed only in these two Acura dealer's on-line ordering systems, yet none of the other dealers sites know about the part. Very strange. Perhaps you can currently get everything you need for the NSX-R engine cover from Acura.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/oe-acura/74845sl0900
http://parts.sonsacura.com/products/STAY-ENG-MAINT-LI/10045188/74845-SL0-900.html

The Zanardi did not come with a mesh engine cover so there would be no need for the shorter support rod. Although like I previously said Honda is stocking some Japan only parts in their US system, so anything is possible.

I see the part listed only in these two Acura dealer's on-line ordering systems, yet none of the other dealers sites know about the part. Very strange. Perhaps you can currently get everything you need for the NSX-R engine cover from Acura.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/oe-acura/74845sl0900
http://parts.sonsacura.com/products/STAY-ENG-MAINT-LI/10045188/74845-SL0-900.html

Yep, wasn't sure if the Zanardi had the mesh cover or not. I got mine from Tim Poliniak a couple of years back.

I keep wondering if these "Japan only" parts are being stocked for a reason as opposed to being a simple mistake. Every part of this type that I have found thus far (engine cover, mounting hardware, coolant bottle cover, and short gears) all fit a pattern: They are all parts that conservative Honda might be ok installing on an early NSX coupe. Installing these parts does not compromise safety or significantly change the style of the car. They're all parts that in an ideal world the original NSX would have included. Whereas non-stocked parts like the NSX-R steering wheel, NSX-R wing, and NSX-R seats change the safety and style of the car.

Where/how did you mount the retainer clip?

On the real NSX-R the resistor assembly has a place for attaching the retainer clip that our cars lack. The best solution is to buy a small piece of aluminum sheeting that you cut into a small 2x1 inch rectangle. You can use a pair of inexpensive metal shears for cutting it. You then drill a hole in each end of your metal strip. One hole gets attached to the bolt that holds the resistor assembly while the other hole is used to attach the retainer clip. Very cheap and easy job.

I'll try it out. Thanks.

From the SOS "kit" it has a part that looks oem where you can attach it. I figured maybe someone would know how to get it.

Where/how did you mount the retainer clip?

Pictures worth 1000 words...

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?4742-Type-R-Type-S-Owners-Help-Please!&highlight=prop+fixing

- - - Updated - - -

You should be able to carry over your OEM weather strip to fit on the cover. If you're starting from scratch here are all the parts listed from the archive:

74845-SLO-900 < the support
74442-SLO-003 < rubber gasket
91503-SS0-003 < retainer clip (also found on a Acura TSX)
93404-06020-07 < screws
69210-SL0-900 < hinges
90151-SR2-000 < bolts for the hinges
Note the OEM Honda cover is a RHD part so the support location is mirrored.

You will also need the rubber grommet - 91604-SD2-013 and the bracket it fits into - 69112-SL0-900.

How did you know that they were available? Did you just try out of the blue? I tried to order a couple of months ago and it was not available. Anyway, thanks for the post, I just ordered one! :)

How did you know that they were available? Did you just try out of the blue? I tried to order a couple of months ago and it was not available. Anyway, thanks for the post, I just ordered one! :)

I first did a google search for 69110-SL0-900 which revealed one web page claiming "69110-SL0-900 has been superseded by 69110-SL0-901". I then searched for 69110-SL0-901 and was shocked to see that the new cover is available from every US Acura dealer who sells parts on-line!

When I asked acurapartsforless.com if they could actually get this part they told me there were currently 4 in stock in the US-- two on the west coast and two on the east coast. So I ordered one and it arrived right away.

It will be interesting to see if Honda replenishes the US stock for this part when it runs out.

Last edited:
I first did a google search for 69110-SL0-900 which revealed one web page claiming "69110-SL0-900 has been superseded by 69110-SL0-901". I then searched for 69110-SL0-901 and was shocked to see that the new cover is available from every US Acura dealer who sells parts on-line!

When I asked acurapartsforless.com if they could actually get this part they told me there were currently 4 in stock in the US-- two on the west coast and two on the east coast. So I ordered one and it arrived right away.

It will be interesting to see if Honda replenishes the US stock for this part when it runs out.

Nice! Sleuthing paid off. Also to note, Type S / Zanardi trunk lids (a few lbs lighter) are the only ones available according to many Acura sites. I cross checked the part # with my Japanese parts guy and he confirmed it's the same one on the Type S in Japan. Haven't had the courage to pull the trigger yet as it's expensive and special order.

Nearly every NSX-R engine cover that I've seen installed has a gap between the rubber stopper and the bottom of the engine cover when the glass hatch is open. When the glass hatch is closed this causes the cover to bend in order to make contact with the stopper. I've seen others complaining about this issue in one of the SOS engine cover threads, but nobody ever provided a solution. I doubted this is how Honda designed it, so I did some research.

It turns out the real NSX-R uses a larger rubber stopper in this location. The larger stopper is part # 72142-SL0-000. Since it's the same rubber stopper used on the NSX doors you can get it from any Acura dealer. You need quantity 2. One for the left side and one for the right side. The small stopper in the center near the latch should not be changed.

Old stopper that comes with the standard NSX....

engine_stopper1.jpg

New stopper that's used on the NSX-R....

engine_stopper2.jpg

Size comparison between the two stoppers....

engine_stopper3.jpg

Found this pic of a real NSX-R engine bay. Note how middle rubber stopper is short and side stopper is tall. You can also see how the resistor assembly includes a spot on its arm for attaching the stay rod clip.

sccp_0902_04_z+2005_honda_nsx_type_r+nsx_motor.jpg

Thank you BB for this information. I purchased my Type-R engine cover from Japan through a member on this site back in 2002. I received the correct mounting hardware with my purchase but never knew the "wobble" fix was so simple. Two inexpensive parts, two minutes, nothing but smiles.

Norm

"It turns out the real NSX-R uses a larger rubber stopper in this location. The larger stopper is part # 72142-SL0-000. Since it's the same rubber stopper used on the NSX doors you can get it from any Acura dealer. You need quantity 2. One for the left side and one for the right side. The small stopper in the center near the latch should not be changed."

What's really funny is how the LHD Spoon NSX-R has the incorrect smaller stoppers on it, yet the RHD Spoon NSX-R has the correct larger stoppers. I'm guessing this difference is due to Spoon's LHD model being made from a US donor car, while the the RHD model was made from a real Japanese NSX-R. If NSX-R experts like Spoon can get this wrong it makes you wonder what tiny extra details are on a real NSX-R that we never notice.

Also, I was just talking to Acura Parts for less and learned they recently sold the last 2 engine covers that were in the US. But they already have 6 more coming from Japan! All of the engine covers that are on their way from Japan have already been spoken for expect for one. So if anyone wants the extra one they ordered you might want to give them a call.

I'd like to add that the nsx-r cover is worth every penny, even more. It's perhaps the single most favorite thing on my car.

Back